• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Observation/Discussion

Isopycnic

I'll be glad to take whatever rain the weekend is going to bring. Forecast is trying to look good for a decent rain event....

REGARDING RAINFALL... THE NEW ECMWF HAS COME INTO FAIRLY GOOD

AGREEMENT WITH THE WET NAM... INCREASING CONFIDENCE IN RAISING RAIN

CHANCES. THESE SUPPORT THREE PERIODS OF FOCUSED RAINFALL: FIRST ON

SATURDAY AFTERNOON ASSOCIATED WITH A RAMPING UP OF LOW LEVEL

MOISTURE CONVERGENCE AND STRONG UPGLIDE... THE SECOND AFTER MIDNIGHT

SATURDAY NIGHT AS A SURFACE LOW TRACKS EAST ACROSS SOUTHERN NC

ACCOMPANIED BY ENHANCED UPPER DIVERGENCE WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED

UPPER JET (THIS IS WHEN THE LIFT SHOULD BE DEEPEST AND STRONGEST

WITH THE HEAVIEST RAIN)... AND THE THIRD SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS A

SECOND WEAK LOW MOVES EAST ALONG THE FRONT ACCOMPANIED BY MID LEVEL

DPVA WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH SWEEPING BY TO THE NORTH. WILL

TREND POPS UP SATURDAY AFTERNOON TO CATEGORICAL NW TO CHANCE SE...

THEN LIKELY SOUTH/CATEGORICAL NORTH SATURDAY NIGHT... WHEN THE SREF

RAIN PROBABILITIES APPROACH 100 PERCENT ACROSS THE NORTH HALF OF THE

CWA. WILL TREND POPS DOWN NW TO SE LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS THE

NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH PUSHES A COOLER DRIER SURFACE AIR MASS

SOUTHWARD TOWARD NC... PUSHING THE FRONT TO OUR SOUTH. BUT LINGERING

MOISTURE AT 925-850 MB SHOULD KEEP CONSIDERABLE CLOUD COVER OVER

MUCH OF THE AREA THROUGH SUNSET. EXPECT UP TO AN INCH OF RAIN...

HIGHEST ACROSS THE NORTHERN CWA.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to post an ob just because I'm a big enough nerd that I bring weather equipment with me on business trips:

It's overcast and wet in Athens, but a beautiful morning with a nearly calm wind and 50. Cool but very comfortable. Actually ate breakfast outside.

We've had some people visiting this last week and they love to ski so we've been to Sugar, Beech, and Cat and can honestly say it's the worst conditions I have ever seen in Feb. Snow quality is horrible, a frozen grandular that's like skiing on peanut butter. I feel for the resorts because, of course, they can't help it but the word must be getting out because we had the slopes basically to ourselves. :axe:

We've had some people visiting this last week and they love to ski so we've been to Sugar, Beech, and Cat and can honestly say it's the worst conditions I have ever seen in Feb. Snow quality is horrible, a frozen grandular that's like skiing on peanut butter. I feel for the resorts because, of course, they can't help it but the word must be getting out because we had the slopes basically to ourselves. :axe:

Finding out that you don't create the snow, in your mountain fastness, has been as psyche shattering to me, as finding out the truth about Santa. Even worse is the realization that there must be some vindictive old man, way up north somewhere, that creates the cold and sends it south, on a whim. And I was so sure it was you that had amazing powers to create snow!!

Ah, how painful the loss of innocence :) T

NAM and GFS have a sharp small trough going across eastern Ky, Tn and NC Monday. Right now the cold aloft would favor snow in the mountains and higher elevations, would be hard to get flakes to reach the ground in the lower elevations, esp. during the day. Its something to watch. Its basically a shearing wave that crosses the Apps. Sometimes they can spark more development than shown, sometimes just pass by with almost nothing.

post-38-0-10367200-1328372755.gif

post-38-0-72243700-1328372761.gif

Not the first drop has fallen here after a high of 74 deg :(

Crazy difference up here in the lee of the Apps. Nice wedge of cool, damp air. I picked up 0.11 inches of precip and had a high of 49.0 this afternoon at 4:36. Temperature has been pretty steady all day long, simply holding in the upper 40s. Nice day for a book by the fire.

Crazy difference up here in the lee of the Apps. Nice wedge of cool, damp air. I picked up 0.11 inches of precip and had a high of 49.0 this afternoon at 4:36. Temperature has been pretty steady all day long, simply holding in the upper 40s. Nice day for a book by the fire.

That sounds wonderful :wub: My Son commented today that winter is almost over and he hasn't enjoyed a fire but a few times this year and not once was the fire going all day long :(:lol:

:wub:

No rain again and the projected high for today was 70. I'm now at 74 and climbing :lol:

Boo, sorry Michelle. It's 67 here right now looks to be headed towards 70+ again today here. I picked up a measly .14" last night from the event. Atlanta is 12.6 above normal for the month through four days with another seasonably hot day today. :yikes:

Invest 90L forms in the Yucatan channel this morning... Shades of 1952? http://en.wikipedia...._Tropical_Storm

Very interesting. Seems to fit out winter pretty well. :gun_bandana:

We are watching what's left of this anemic winter closely here in the NC High Country.

So far, there has not been any snow whatsoever that is associated with a genuine storm. All we have gotten is weak upslope snow behind frontal passages.

Will this winter break the record books for a total non-performer? It sure stands a good chance.

At this time, it still appears that solid cold air will be limited to areas north of here.

Archived