• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

JB's Fab February has 4 to 8 below normal over the MidAtlantic region for the Feb 11-15. Here is a couple quotes from his latest post.

"The ridging is where the trough used to be! ITS OPPOSITE, and that is the period beyond the concern here, the front 2 weeks. So I start in to cut the jet in underneath and this could result in the Fab Feb winter weatherwise I have alldued too. The greatest threat for SEVERE COLD... it hitting 0 in Chicago or 10 in NYC is probably in the day 11-20 period but the pattern may then go to one where its not quite as cold, but its storm and wet"

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB's Fab February has 4 to 8 below normal over the MidAtlantic region for the Feb 11-15. Here is a couple quotes from his latest post.

"The ridging is where the trough used to be! ITS OPPOSITE, and that is the period beyond the concern here, the front 2 weeks. So I start in to cut the jet in underneath and this could result in the Fab Feb winter weatherwise I have alldued too. The greatest threat for SEVERE COLD... it hitting 0 in Chicago or 10 in NYC is probably in the day 11-20 period but the pattern may then go to one where its not quite as cold, but its storm and wet"

10 in NYC is severe cold? I guess I'm not quite buying that.

10 in NYC is severe cold? I guess I'm not quite buying that.

I agree. -5 to -10 is severe cold. If the 10 degrees is with a substantial snow-pack, then JB is way off base. Radiate cooling on the clear nights will easily put the lows at or below zero. I guess he saying that if snows, my cold predictions will be off and if does not snow, then my predicted lows for NYC maybe correct.

That's the best GFS map yet for the storm. Now it will probably change between now and the storm, but hopefully not the overall setup.

We still have about 20 more GFS runs until the storm. The models have been waffling around like crazy and the ensemble members are all over the place. Basically, we'll have no clue what might happen until midweek.

The latest thoughts on the Beatles February per JB...

"The meteorological aspect of my "flip' is dead on right as you can see here, because since Jan 12th, the NAO and AO have certainly averaged negative. The weather I believe is responding to this , and the warmup that followed the 10 days of cold is transient, so that the next step of cold is longer and stronger and more widespread, and may "lock" us into the cold Feb and march . It would be fitting that a snowstorm that many did not see two weekends ago that hit last weekend, was followed by this "non event" now, but then many of you next Sunday that have to have the snow on the ground to understand what is going on overhead in the atmosphere, may have it back on the ground again. But look for yourself at the AO and NAO and you can see the step down function of the change has us clearly in the negative, with the first crossing from the pattern around the date I outline for you early in Jan"

The latest thoughts on the Beatles February per JB...

"The meteorological aspect of my "flip' is dead on right as you can see here, because since Jan 12th, the NAO and AO have certainly averaged negative. The weather I believe is responding to this , and the warmup that followed the 10 days of cold is transient, so that the next step of cold is longer and stronger and more widespread, and may "lock" us into the cold Feb and march . It would be fitting that a snowstorm that many did not see two weekends ago that hit last weekend, was followed by this "non event" now, but then many of you next Sunday that have to have the snow on the ground to understand what is going on overhead in the atmosphere, may have it back on the ground again. But look for yourself at the AO and NAO and you can see the step down function of the change has us clearly in the negative, with the first crossing from the pattern around the date I outline for you early in Jan"

He must be using a different NAO index from this one...

post-39-0-08222800-1327851894.gif

FWIW, the 12Z GFS is a continuation of what we've seen all "winter" where Northern DE and Philly experience occasional periods of mild coolness below freezing only to have the surface warm in advance of each system that rolls through. My ratio of hours of model watching per inch of snow is now undefined.

It's less clear for the far NW burbs of Philly and the LV.

You can also note the GFS op is against the mighty Euro in regards to the AO:

00zgfsao.gif

00zecmwfao.gif

My hunch is there will be a major pattern change setting up in early Feb as some have already mentioned. The disagreement among the major global indices should be a clear indicator, no pun intended. Any change would be welcome compared to what we've seen already this winter, even if relatively short-lived.

yea, it drives the primary a little to far north...lehigh valley north look to do well.

same situ as a couple of days ago locally on the EC...precip is wrapping up as the storm wraps up and draws cold in. Coating type snows in Poconos and LV per wunderground weenie map. Looks good for Binghamton though!

(note, I'm talking about the storm at 102, not 168)

same situ as a couple of days ago locally on the EC...precip is wrapping up as the storm wraps up and draws cold in. Coating type snows in Poconos and LV per wunderground weenie map. Looks good for Binghamton though!

(note, I'm talking about the storm at 102, not 168)

Well the EC and GFS are in two different worlds.

Model agreement FTL, we'll have to wait untill the middle of the week to get some agreement with this system, I suspect.

It is going to require Pacific Winter Recon

IN MORE DETAIL...SEE BELOW

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

153 PM EST SUN JAN 29 2012

...UPDATED MORNING PRELIMS..ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE OF 06Z GFS/06Z

GEFS MEAN/LAGGED AVERAGE FORECASTS/ENSEMBLE CLUSTER GROUPINGS

CONTINUE TO CONCUR WITH ABOVE THINKING. A DIFFICULT AND LOW TO NO

CONFIDENCE FORECAST IN DETAILS LATE PERIOD MAINLY WITH THE ERN

CONUS TROF. BASED ON AN AMALGAM OF DAYS 6-7 SOLUTIONS THE 06Z GFS

ENS MEAN SHOULD BE INCORPORATED INTO THE SOLUTION AND SUPPORTS THE

EARLIER ABOVE USED OVERNIGHT MODEL BLEND. DEPICTION BY DAY 5 FRI

OF A CENTER JUMPING SFC LOW FROM THE OH VALLEY TO THE NC COAST AND

THAN AN EXIT NEWD TO NEAR THE NEW ENG BENCH MARK BY DAY 6 SAT

SEEMS REASONABLE AT THIS TIME ALBEIT WITH CONTINUED VERY LOW

CONFIDENCE.

AFTN MODEL AND ENS GUIDANCE CONTINUES UNDERMINE ANY ALREADY LOW

CONFIDENCE IN ANY RELIABLE SOLUTION OVER MUCH OF CONUS AS

GFS/UKMET/CMC/ECMWF HAVE GONE BACK TO YESTERDAYS 12Z SOLUTIONS OF

LEAVING BEHIND SIGNIFICANT ENERGY IN SWRN CONUS WITH THE CMC/UKMET

AND ECMWF HAVING THE STRONGEST MID LEVELS AND AT THE SFC FORMING A

SFC LOW IN THE SRN PLAINS TO GLFMEX REGION THEN MOVING INTO THE

SOUTHEAST AND MID ATLC REGIONS. GFS WHILE LEAVING BEHIND MORE OF A

MID LEVEL LOW IN THAT REGION SHEARS IT OUT AND HAS THE DIGGING NRN

STREAM THE DOMINANT FEATURE. THIS RESULTS IN A NRN STREAM SHORTWVE

AND LOW REFORMING FROM THE OH VALLEY TO THE NC COAST BUT SHIFTING

EWD WELL OFFSHORE. THE VERY LARGE SPREAD OF SOLUTIONS AND

UNCERTAINTY AND A GREAT WEATHER AND SOCIAL POTENTIAL IMPACT IN

WHATEVER SOLUTION TURNS OUT TO BE CORRECT WARRANTS A WINTER STORM

PACIFIC RECON WHICH WILL BE FLOWN EARLY THIS WEEK. AFTN FINALS

WILL NOT BE CHANGED BASED ON THE RECENT 12Z RUNS. THERE IS

SIMILARITY TO YESTERDAYS 12Z RUNS WHICH QUICKLY CHANGED OVERNIGHT.

RAUSCH/ROSENSTEIN

Archived