• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

It would be pretty ironic to finally get a decent snow after March 20 to complement the October snow and have the

actual winter season nearly snowless. February is looking more and more like a continuation of the pattern that

brung us.

I'm banking on a snowstorm in May :lol:

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The week long period of favoribility is trending much shorter in both the model guidance and the MJO forecasts. The Euro ENS for D11-15 is downright ugly.

Even though its not that good with it, that would still be a heck of a MJO bust by the GFS. I'm guessing that Thu's weeklies are going to say that the mon weeklies were a whoops.

Even though its not that good with it, that would still be a heck of a MJO bust by the GFS. I'm guessing that Thu's weeklies are going to say that the mon weeklies were a whoops.

Me too. If you want a good discussion on the MJO and how it affects the models, start on pg 19 of the SNE first half of February thread. Really good back and forth in there today.

Me too. If you want a good discussion on the MJO and how it affects the models, start on pg 19 of the SNE first half of February thread. Really good back and forth in there today.

Thanks Adam (great back/forth), plus thanks for those olr links also. I can't find half the stuff I want to on the CPC site. I must say CoastalWx must have been reading my mind or I was reading his mind, it just doesn't seem logical for a strong PNA ridge to get obliterated that quickly even if the forcing is gone. Regardless in nina winters the euro often is too quick with the -nao and even the gfs errors with the nao have been too negative pretty much the whole winter. So we're back to square one even with a +PNA/-EPO with a +NAO (or not a -NAO west) these cold shots are not sustainable and once the +PNA/-EPO relaxes...

I was reading Brett Anderson's blog the other day. Basically his thinking is even if we do see a pattern change in Feb, the cold air will be on the other side of the globe. The best we could hope for is near-normal temps for a week or so.

I do think we'll see a storm in late March/early April. It just seems like one of those years where the majority of our snow will fall outside of winter, similar to 1989-90.

I was reading Brett Anderson's blog the other day. Basically his thinking is even if we do see a pattern change in Feb, the cold air will be on the other side of the globe. The best we could hope for is near-normal temps for a week or so.

I do think we'll see a storm in late March/early April. It just seems like one of those years where the majority of our snow will fall outside of winter, similar to 1989-90.

It wouldn't surprise me if we had a big torch event in either March or April either in advance or in the wake of any fluke event...'90 (March) and '02 (April) both had super torch events.

As long as we don't get that backdoor front from hell like we did in '03 (going from 87 at 4 PM on the 16th to 47 at 4 AM of the 17th).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the "pattern" has changed significantly twice since December. The first change displaced artic cold toward the Pac NW and the second has given Europe their arctic outbreak and snow, yes? Therefore, we are 0 for 2. I still hold out weenie hope that we get our "wave" and snow chances toward mid-late Feb or even March.

It wouldn't surprise me if we had a big torch event in either March or April either in advance or in the wake of any fluke event...'90 (March) and '02 (April) both had super torch events.

As long as we don't get that backdoor front from hell like we did in '03 (going from 87 at 4 PM on the 16th to 47 at 4 AM of the 17th).

March 1990 was a wild month. We had that string of 80-degree days leading up to St. Patty’s Day. Then we had snow a week later; perhaps the biggest snowfall since the 1989 Thanksgiving eve storm.

Ok thanks Adam, so if they are right the much talked about storm for next weekend does not have much of a chance.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, Week 1 is Feb 6-12, which is going to be bookended by torches, but there should still be a period around the 8-10th where we could luckbox something. It's not terribly likely, but not impossible, either.

Archived