• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Too much snow?

SeVa

Not too much going on weather wise so I have been letting my mind wander...

I was just sitting pondering the torch we have been having this winter and sort of came to the conclusion that I should probably move further north in order to regularly experience snow during the winter months.

It would be nice to live in a snow belt and actually experience winter for a few months out of the year, but when does the amount of snow just become too much?

So, has anyone else here considered moving to a decently populated area ( >200,000) further North?

I was just sitting pondering the torch we have been having this winter and sort of came to the conclusion that I should probably move further north in order to regularly experience snow during the winter months.

It would be nice to live in a snow belt and actually experience winter for a few months out of the year, but when does the amount of snow just become too much?

So, has anyone else here considered moving to a decently populated area ( >200,000) further North?

I thought that late Jan, early Feb of 2010 was too much. When you start having concerns about your roof, when every intersection you come to has so much snow piled up that you can hardly see to pull out or turn, when you go for weeks without seeing the grass, that's too much for me.

I thought that late Jan, early Feb of 2010 was too much. When you start having concerns about your roof, when every intersection you come to has so much snow piled up that you can hardly see to pull out or turn, when you go for weeks without seeing the grass, that's too much for me.

That's what winter is all about.

I think the biggest issue is the lump sum of snow; I've often equated it to winning the lottery. Though the lump sum is nice, and you can do a ton with it from the get go; I'd much rather prefer steady payments of 100+ inches a year :P

I think 09/10 through the Mid-Atlantic was outstanding, but there were still weeks without snow. I think I'd rather have a few inches every other day, and a few jackpots now and again. (Monthly payments vs One time Jackpot)

My analogy got jumbled, but I refuse to change it.

You mention snow - but really I wouldn't move JUST for snow - but I'd consider moving for a general climate more suited to my tastes. I love this area, but the climate - all 4 seasons - skews a bit warm for my preference. Winters here are a sham more often than not, as we all already know. Then, to add insult to injury, summers many years are like being on the 9th level of hell. In many ways I might prefer somewhere like Seattle - I lose some snow but at least I get rid of the hideous summer.

More realistically, I would seriously consider moving to Boston at some point. The city itself is awesome and historical, and the climate skews colder than here but is nothing approaching extreme. Summers in Boston can have some hot stretches but generally they are short heat waves interspersed with nice weather in the upper 70s/low 80s - much more livable than the wall to wall heat in the DC area. Falls are glorious - much like here they just start sooner. And winters are colder but not "frigid" by any stretch. And, importantly, they are snowier - the area averages 40-50" a year, mainly because they are far enough north to "get in on" a lot more storms.

Honestly I'd prefer a bit more snow than Boston gets - but when I look at it with a realistic perspective (career opportunities, coolness of the city, and everything else other than weather) there aren't a lot of great options on the east coast north of Boston. There are options in the midwest and west, but I know less about them and they present greater logistical difficulties. I also like to be close to an ocean, so that cuts out a lot of the snowier possibilities to the west.

In reality - I really like this area. The climate isn't perfect, but overall it's at least a 4 season climate with gorgeous springs and falls. And there's a lot of other positives here - so I'll probably be here a good long time. I can see myself moving somewhere like Boston some day though, if the right opportunity presents itself.

The only city with that population in a snow belt is Buffalo NY. We would welcome you with open arms, seeing as the majority of people are moving out of this city and to the soutH! We average 100 inches of snow per year, just 20 minutes south averages around 140 inches per year and an easy drive to downtown Buffalo for jobs! =)

Theres been several times living here where I said to much snow, just last year we had a 40 inch LES with thunder and lightning snow for 24+ straight hours! In 2001 we have 82 inches in a 5 day period. Both of those occurences I said to much snow.

I started getting tired of the snow in February 2010, but the storms themselves were pretty awesome. I'm more of a "I love snow, but want it to go away within a few days"-type person, so a massive amount of snow that sticks around and gets dirty doesn't really do it for me.

I'm a warm weather lover at heart, so I'd never contemplate moving somewhere to get more snow. If anything, I'd move south so I can have a longer growing and fishing season, and where playing golf is a legitimate option 12 months out of the year.

When I was shopping for a home several years back, I found comparable deals in this area and the Eastern shore of Maryland. Both offered some acreage and sizable homes for around the same price, and the same distance from the metro areas. The proximity to the mountains and the opportunity for more snow were major factors in my decision to move here.

I have yet to see a Mid-Atlantic winter that produced "too much" snow.

Oh man, don't ever move way north. At least twice I've had snow on the ground straight through from the 2nd week of Nov to the last of March. So, not seeing the grass doesn't seem odd to me, and having my grass still quite green this year is a serious bummer.

I have never been sick of snow, but I also haven't been in that many monster winters. We never racked up the huge amounts back in MN, though Minneapolis scored almost 90" last year. 09-10 was my 2nd highest total, and I would have loved to keep the train rolling (or not taken the Jan lull).

Archived