Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years Eve/New Years Day storm

Thundersnow12

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be interesting. The HRRR precip type shows a mix of rain and snow for the eastern and southern part of that band. Verbatim it would be a very brief period of all snow towards the end in northern Illinois, but not sure how accurate the precip type thing is.

My NOAA point 'n click forecast has all snow after 3am. 35° early and falling throughout the day. About 1.5" of snow.

Tonight I'm just going to watch that part of the storm develop and see what precipitation types show up as it evolves.

Yeah the RPM model looks legit. Looks like passes over me or stone's throw south. I'll be setting my alarm early to watch this! Once the band moves in the boundary layer should cool quickly in response to the precipitation rates. I would expect 1/2 hour of mix then the rest snow.

The 12 hour RUC has the surface low at 1000mb over lake michigan at 12 UTC on Sunday, which is several mb higher than the 12Z NAM and 12Z GFS. This is actually supported reasonably well by the UK, CMC, and ECMWF. I have a feeling the 00Z NAM will come in considerably weaker with the surface low.

Much weaker. Incredible. The NAM continues to be just awful. Clearly a loss for the American models this time around, except for the RUC which has actually been fantastic all winter.

Where the GFS had a 992mb low this morning and the NAM was only slightly weaker, the 00z NAM is now 1004mb :lmao:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

848 PM CST SAT DEC 31 2011

.UPDATE...

00Z NAM HAS NO REAL SURPRISES OR CHANGES IN THE INTENSITY AND

TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW THAT WILL TACK ACROSS NORTHWEST ILLINOIS

TO SOUTHERN LAKE MICHIGAN AROUND SUNRISE. MAX LIQUID EQUIVALENT

PRECIP BAND IS ORIENTED FROM NORTH/NORTHEAST OF MADISON ACROSS

NORTHERN DODGE AND FOND DU LAC COUNTIES WITH AROUND 0.30 OF AN

INCH. THIS IS JUST SLIGHTLY LESS THAN PRIOR 18Z MODELS.

Archived