Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years Eve/New Years Day storm

Thundersnow12

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DVN

VERY INTENSE STORM SYSTEM SEEN ON WATER VAPOR LOOPS CENTERED OVER NORTHEAST COLORADO WITH THE SYSTEM FARTHER SOUTH AND MORE INTENSE THAN WHAT WAS DEPICTED YESTERDAY. RIVERTON WYOMING KRIW HAD A 190 METER HEIGHT FALL AT 500 MB AT 12/31 WITH A NICE 150 KNOT 300 MB JET DIVING IN BEHIND THE TROUGH.

12Z MODEL RUNS NOW SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FOR A QUICK CHANGEOVER TO SNOW IN THE CWA AFTER MIDNIGHT FOR SEVERAL HOURS. STRONG LIFT MAY BE ABLE TO GENERATE A BRIEF PERIOD OF LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AN INCH OR SO. THIS COMBINED WITH RAPID INCREASE IN WIND SPEEDS TO OVER 35 MPH AND FALLING TEMPERATURES MAY PRODUCE NASTY WINTER WEATHER FOR A FEW HOURS LATER TONIGHT. WINTER HEADLINES MAY BE NEEDED AND THE POTENTIAL FOR A HIGH WIND WARNING FOR SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT NEEDS TO BE CONSIDERED. ALSO MAY HAVE GRADIENT WIND GUSTS TO 50 TO 60 MPH ON SUNDAY. 12Z GFS TAKES A RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING CYCLONE FROM KS TO EASTERN IA INTO ONTARIO AND DEEPENS IT TO 975 MB. WHAT A WAY TO START THE NEW YEAR.

DVN

VERY INTENSE STORM SYSTEM SEEN ON WATER VAPOR LOOPS CENTERED OVER NORTHEAST COLORADO WITH THE SYSTEM FARTHER SOUTH AND MORE INTENSE THAN WHAT WAS DEPICTED YESTERDAY. RIVERTON WYOMING KRIW HAD A 190 METER HEIGHT FALL AT 500 MB AT 12/31 WITH A NICE 150 KNOT 300 MB JET DIVING IN BEHIND THE TROUGH.

12Z MODEL RUNS NOW SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FOR A QUICK CHANGEOVER TO SNOW IN THE CWA AFTER MIDNIGHT FOR SEVERAL HOURS. STRONG LIFT MAY BE ABLE TO GENERATE A BRIEF PERIOD OF LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AN INCH OR SO. THIS COMBINED WITH RAPID INCREASE IN WIND SPEEDS TO OVER 35 MPH AND FALLING TEMPERATURES MAY PRODUCE NASTY WINTER WEATHER FOR A FEW HOURS LATER TONIGHT. WINTER HEADLINES MAY BE NEEDED AND THE POTENTIAL FOR A HIGH WIND WARNING FOR SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT NEEDS TO BE CONSIDERED. ALSO MAY HAVE GRADIENT WIND GUSTS TO 50 TO 60 MPH ON SUNDAY. 12Z GFS TAKES A RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING CYCLONE FROM KS TO EASTERN IA INTO ONTARIO AND DEEPENS IT TO 975 MB. WHAT A WAY TO START THE NEW YEAR.

Yeah sfc low track will be crucial around here as to just how far south that snow band behind it gets. Some models take the low over RFD and to MKX wrapping the snow back into this area. With the winds, it could be a fun few hours tomorrow morning.

MKX indicating perhaps a need to upgrade WWA for some areas. Hard to believe that a storm with only a couple inches of snow could produce WSW criteria, but I guess the wind could help with that.

Holy Cow! I thought this storm was supposed to hit Duluth and MSP! I've seen WSW for a 2, 3 inches of snow before, but it's always associated with wind.

Two inches is even the high end in this case, unless the surface low trends even further SE.

Now I see there is two corridors/axis' of snow. One inch of snow, two inches of snow = the roads will treacherous for a time later tonight with rapid freezing.

gfs_namer_036_precip_p36.gif

LOT goes with a wind advisory for gusts up to 55 mph.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WIND  ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM CST /4 AM EST/ SUNDAY TO  MIDNIGHT CST /1 AM EST/ SUNDAY NIGHT.  

* WINDS...WEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH ARE    EXPECTED. GUSTS TO 55 MPH ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY MORNING.

The only thing I worry about is the Euro, which indicates not much snow, even further north only an inch or two. It must be warm in the lower levels.

Interesting with the Euro. ... Well the temperatures are cooler than forecast today, maybe that will help get the snow to stick sooner tonight.

LOT's take:

AS THE LOW APPROACHES TONIGHT...LOW LEVELS WARM ENOUGH TO SUPPORT

MAINLY RAIN INITIALLY. AS TEMPS BEGIN TO COOL WITH AND BEHIND THE

FRONT...EXPECT PRECIP TYPE TO MIX WITH SNOW AND THEN QUICKLY CHANGE

TO SNOW. DON/T SEE MUCH POTENTIAL FOR OTHER PRECIP TYPES. MODEL QPF

FIELDS RANGE FROM ONE TO TWO TENTHS ACROSS THE NORTH TO MAINLY A

TRACE ACROSS THE SOUTH. POPS HAVE ALSO BEEN STEADILY INCREASING

OVER THE PAST FEW MODEL RUNS. TIME PERIOD OF CONCERN IS ROUGHLY

FROM 09Z-15Z...A LITTLE EARLY IN THE NORTHWEST...A LITTLE LATER IN

THE EAST. THE DIFFICULT PART IS HOW MUCH OF THIS WILL FALL AS

RAIN...RAIN/SNOW MIX...SNOW AND IF MORE SNOW...HOW MUCH COULD

POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATE. GIVEN HOW FAST THE COLD AIR SPREADS ACROSS

THE AREA...DURATION OF ANY MIXED PRECIP SHOULD BE RATHER SHORT AND

SURFACE TEMPS AT OR ABOVE FREEZING WILL LIKELY ALLOW SOME MELTING AT

LEAST TO START. SO HAVEN/T CHANGED THE GOING SNOW AMOUNTS TOO MUCH

WITH A FEW TENTHS POSSIBLE ALONG THE I-80 CORRIDOR TO UP TO AN INCH

ACROSS FAR NORTHERN IL. CONFIDENCE IS FAIRLY LOW HOWEVER. SHOULD

SNOW FALL FAST ENOUGH TO FORM A SLUSH...COULD SEE SOME SLICK SPOTS

DEVELOP AS TEMPS BEGIN TO DROP BELOW FREEZING SUNDAY MORNING.

along with the usual disclaimer

Somewhat OT, but MU is stupid, not only did they schedule a New Year's Day against Villanova for the same time as the Packers' final game, but now this storm will lessen attendance even more. Over/under 10,000 people in attendance?

Definitely under, but the Packers game isn't that big of a factor imo. They've already clinched everything and will likely rest most of their guys.

This storm won't help either forsure 12:00, New Years day, cold and windy, forget about it :lol:

Definitely under, but the Packers game isn't that big of a factor imo. They've already clinched everything and will likely rest most of their guys.

This storm won't help either forsure 12:00, New Years day, cold and windy, forget about it :lol:

Well, that's my mentality, but I'm not much of a football fan. Those who are... anyway, back to the storm. I wonder how far north the warm front will push before the cold takes over.

Archived