Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 27/28 Rain & High wind warning OBS

Ginx snewx

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was 33-34F here for the longest time earlier this evening. That totally got blown out about 2 hours ago...now approaching 50F.

And yeah, that jan 06 LLJ was the best I've ever seen. 95 kt at like 1500 ft.

I want to say that was January 18th but don't quote me on that

I want to say that was January 18th but don't quote me on that

I think that was it.

The sound that wind had, just had that distinct roar. We've talked about it before. The sound of 50+mph winds have that droan and somewhat roaring sound, but 60+mph winds almost have that scary roar...the kind you can hear from your house. Borderline jet sound. That's what the day featured. We kind of had a binovc morning which allowed for some mixing, and then it got capped off with that low top squall line early in the aftn. I'll never forget going outside and listening to those gusts coming in from the ssw...it sounded like an Amtrak train approaching. You could hear trees snapping in the woods and we lost power until later that night. The tree damage was pretty bad. Certainly impressive for bare trees.

I think that was it.

The sound that wind had, just had that distinct roar. We've talked about it before. The sound of 50+mph winds have that droan and somewhat roaring sound, but 60+mph winds almost have that scary roar...the kind you can hear from your house. Borderline jet sound. That's what the day featured. We kind of had a binovc morning which allowed for some mixing, and then it got capped off with that low top squall line early in the aftn. I'll never forget going outside and listening to those gusts coming in from the ssw...it sounded like an Amtrak train approaching. You could hear trees snapping in the woods and we lost power until later that night. The tree damage was pretty bad. Certainly impressive for bare trees.

I have vad wind profile and acars data archive for that event I'll have to find it and post it sometime

I think that was it.

I had remembered MQE gusting over 70kt from that.

KMQE 181754Z AUTO 15043G67KT 14/12 A2934 RMK AO2 PK WND 15074/1743 SLP948 60002 T01440122 10150 20083 56096 PWINO TSNO

55F at midnight at ORH on Dec 28...that doesn't happen very often.

NWS projected low for tomorrow night at ORH: 17F.

I've had 8 days with a snow pack over 1":

October 27-November 4.

Yup, about the same in Rindge. We held out for a while on the October snowstorm because even though days were getting in the 50s later in the week, nights were still cold with the albedo and strong high pressure overhead. I think we might have clocked another day with snowpack in November but not too sure, probably after the 11/23 event. Amazing to have no December snow cover at 1200' in the Monadnocks, just an unmitigated torch.

It's amazing how good the euro was with this system.

Yeah it rebounded after it got beat by the GFS on that SW flow event on 12/23 with its warmer look. As I said a couple days ago: every now and then a blind squirrel finds a nut. The better model wins int he long eventually.

I know he does but one can't help but to believe.

A lot of the bad seasons have come more recently...though 2002 and 2000 had October snow events too. But 1979, 1988, 2003, 2005, 2009, and this year (so far) will help with the selective memory process.

I know he does but one can't help but to believe.

I have to be honest though. I could get 100 inches of snow this winter, but getting a 13 inch snowstorm before Holloween will be the highlight no matter what. A 13 inch snowstorm at any point during the winter was something I hardly ever had growing up in the 80s.

I have to be honest though. I could get 100 inches of snow this winter, but getting a 13 inch snowstorm before Holloween will be the highlight no matter what. A 13 inch snowstorm at any point during the winter was something I hardly ever had growing up in the 80s.

Its amazing how bad the 1980s were....esp the late 80s and into the very early 1990s. I remember thinking 3-6" was a huge event...and that was me living in Holden, MA at 1050 feet. Those that lived through that period I think appreciate the current run of good winters a bit more.

Its amazing how bad the 1980s were....esp the late 80s and into the very early 1990s. I remember thinking 3-6" was a huge event...and that was me living in Holden, MA at 1050 feet. Those that lived through that period I think appreciate the current run of good winters a bit more.

NYC metro was horrific in the 80s, so glad I wasn't around. Mid-Atlantic did ok in 86-87 and 87-88 but not NYC.

February of 1990 is about all I have. I don't remember the early 80s February and April all that much.

February of 1990 is about all I have. I don't remember the early 80s February and April all that much.

That winter was the best out of 4 in a row from '88-'89 through '91-'92 here too...We had Thanksgiving '89 that year and a decent event on Dec 16, 1989 that underperformed but still good. (huge bust in NYC on that event though). We had like 55" that winter and it seemed like a crapload of snow to me after '88-'89. The next two years stunk horribly.

NYC metro was horrific in the 80s, so glad I wasn't around. Mid-Atlantic did ok in 86-87 and 87-88 but not NYC.

Yeah, it was kind of an odd decade in terms of latitude distribution of snow relative to seasonal averages. '79/'80 was significantly above average here, as were '86/'87 (incredible season) and '87/'88. Even '85/'86 and '89/'90 were decent snowfall seasons for us relative to average.

Yeah, it was kind of an odd decade in terms of latitude distribution of snow relative to seasonal averages. '79/'80 was significantly above average here, as were '86/'87 (incredible season) and '87/'88. Even '85/'86 and '89/'90 were decent snowfall seasons for us relative to average.

The Mid Atlantic had the 3 KU storms in 86-87, great season, and then the Veteran's Day storm in 87-88 as well as a smaller snowfall in January, I believe, too. 88-89 was actually a decent year for parts of SE VA and the Delmarva as they got hit with the February '89 tease.

What did you get in 85-86? Don't know much about that winter...

Archived