Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one has peaked my interest and it'll be nice to track something. Timing would pose the risk between 1/3 and 1/5 so i'm sure we'll have some big changes in the next few cycles and right up to the the threat is in the short range. This window of opportunity may define much of January with an overall unfavorable pattern with brief windows of opportunity mainly influenced by that 'projected' strong ridge building into the rockies.

:weenie:

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

308 AM EST TUE DEC 27 2011

VALID 12Z SAT DEC 31 2011 - 12Z TUE JAN 03 2012

...SNOWFALL POSSIBLE FROM THE MID-SOUTH INTO THE

CAROLINAS/MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEASTERN STATES EARLY NEXT WEEK...

THE GENERAL FLOW PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO BUCKLE THROUGH THIS

WEEKEND AS A FULL-LATITUDE TROUGH DIGS FROM ALASKA SOUTHWARD ALONG

THE 140TH MERIDIAN WEST. THIS CAUSES SIGNIFICANT RIDGING ACROSS

WESTERN NORTH AMERICA /WHICH SHOULD CAUSE THE HEAVY RAINS ACROSS

THE NORTHWEST TO CEASE ON SATURDAY/ AND A DOWNSTREAM TROUGH EAST

OF THE GREAT PLAINS. THE GUIDANCE SHARES THESE IDEAS. BY

SUNDAY...THE 00Z GFS/00Z CANADIAN/00Z GEFS MEAN PROGRESS THE

TROUGH A BIT FARTHER EAST THAN THE 00Z UKMET/00Z ECMWF/12Z ECMWF

ENSEMBLE MEAN. SINCE THE FLOW IS SO AMPLIFIED UPSTREAM...A

SLOWER/MORE AMPLIFIED TROUGH EAST OF THE PLAINS MAKES SENSE.

HOWEVER...THE 00Z ECMWF GOES A STEP TOO FAR BY DEVELOPING A DEEP

CLOSED CYCLONE ACROSS THE MID-SOUTH WHICH MOVES INTO THE

MID-ATLANTIC STATES NEXT TUESDAY. THE ECMWF HAS A BIAS OF BEING

TOO SLOW/STRONG WITH SYSTEMS BEYOND 120 HOURS...SO IT IS LIKELY A

BIT OVERDONE...BUT ITS SOLUTION IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE. STARTED WITH A

40/40/20 COMPROMISE OF THE 00Z ECMWF/00Z UKMET/12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE

MEAN EARLY ON BEFORE SWITCHING TO A 50/50 BLEND OF THE 00Z

ECMWF/12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN THEREAFTER. PRESSURE-WISE...THIS

SOLUTION MAINTAINED REASONABLE CONTINUITY.

ROTH

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to think if there has ever been a KU in that type of pattern...I do not think there has been...at least in the past 60 years. Probably at some point in history there was a crazy storm like shown.

Most of the time it will usually go negative too early and torch us or the vortmax doesn't quite phase and you end up with a sheared out anafrontal wave. It has to be perfect. The huge ridge gives it a chance, but even with it, still a lot of luck involved.

the best case would be that the euro has the right idea, but is slightly overdone

i know it's a longer range MJO forecast, but this is promising. 1st time i've seen a projected (albeit weak) phase 7 forecast. The mjo forecasts, from the gfs, has trended moreso to a possible phase 7 MJO. We'll see if she holds serve. But it is promising nonetheless.

ensplume_full.gif

i know it's a longer range MJO forecast, but this is promising. 1st time i've seen a projected (albeit weak) phase 7 forecast. The mjo forecasts, from the gfs, has trended moreso to a possible phase 7 MJO. We'll see if she holds serve. But it is promising nonetheless.

The bias corrected MJO keeps it generally weak -- and then actually loops it towards Phase 4. Just something to keep in mind. MJO forecasts have been very poor beyond 5 days.

The bias corrected MJO keeps it generally weak -- and then actually loops it towards Phase 4. Just something to keep in mind. MJO forecasts have been very poor beyond 5 days.

Yea, i figure it's a long shot. Just wanted to put it out there for disco. ANyone have a link for the ukie/euro mjo forecast?

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to think if there has ever been a KU in that type of pattern...I do not think there has been...at least in the past 60 years. Probably at some point in history there was a crazy storm like shown.

Most of the time it will usually go negative too early and torch us or the vortmax doesn't quite phase and you end up with a sheared out anafrontal wave. It has to be perfect. The huge ridge gives it a chance, but even with it, still a lot of luck involved.

Maybe February 2006?

The difference in the amplification of the ridge out west stems from a mid-Pacific trough. The ECMWF is deepening this feature much more rapidly and forces the development of a large ridge to its east. The GFS has this feature weaker and split in two entities. The features then slide eastward and keep the pattern comparatively progressive.

ec_gfs_z_panel_5.png

from will (ORH) in the mid atlantic thread on the euro ensembles:

"FWIW the Euro ensembles out to 156 do hint at the storm...its obviously quite smoothed by the time you get out that far, but it has the monster ridge out west...the ensembles don't dig the trough nearly as much as the OP run which is not a surprise at all, but at least it has the big ridge out west."

The new ECMF forecast based on climo, has the MJO going in between phases 6 and 7, before weakening next week. This has been trending stronger.

This is at least slightly encouraging..the MJO has been highly unfavorable since November. Hopefully the guidance is not totally out to lunch. A stronger impulse into Phases 6-8 would be ideal.

OP GFS at 18z is not at all enthused with the threat...continues a progressive pattern over the Pacific. Without the ridge to slow down the pattern, the big upper level trough winds up hundreds of miles farther east/northeast with the base of the trough over the NW Atlantic.

Have to side mostly with the GFS for the time being after it schooled the euro and its super bomb it was showing several runs in a row last week.

Archived