Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are we lookin out here in the far western burbs??

Wunderground maps are only up to hr156..

About the same as everybody else. As long as you aren't living on the immediate coast, this run pretty much places you on the good side of a very sharp dynamic cooling gradient. This holds until the surface low is tugged northwest as the ULL cuts off -- at that point the surface low rips into PA and everybody dryslots.

About the same as everybody else. As long as you aren't living on the immediate coast, this run pretty much places you on the good side of a very sharp dynamic cooling gradient. This holds until the surface low is tugged northwest as the ULL cuts off -- at that point the surface low rips into PA and everybody dryslots.

even the coast is fine until the precip almost shuts off

again, at this time frame, its a big take it FWIW

Probably some convective feedback messing things up here too, similar to the boxing day progs at 4/5 days where upton noted the euro was suffering from convective feedback messing up its thermal profile

Also as forky says Euro loves to over do things at this range, as noted by HPC this morning.

Will be fun to follow this one for the next days.

I do believe the Euro is number 1 in verification for a reason, regardless of what HPC says. I also remember when they told us to throw out the GFS solution that showed the Boxing Day storm too. What was the verbiage they used?

banter thread dude, not appropriate for this thread

LOL at the wunderground snowfall map at 180 hrs.

Here it is. Weenie run for sure.

I would only look to see if the monster ridge is real first, before we worry about a storm. Give us the huge ridge, and then we shall see if a perfectly timed storm can form.

post-146-0-34599400-1325012793.gif

It looks like good sign in the long run but to get snow for sure we need an -NAO to take place to give even the coastal areas a good snowstorm. Even the clipper with cold enough air drawn in there is chance for the rain to change over to wet snow before ending and inland areas to have light to moderate accumulation.

There is incredible thermal packing this run which leads to very dynamic snowfall just NW of the surface low before it tucks inland. Highly unlikely but very cool to look at nevertheless.

This is one of the most unique setups I can remember. I'm having trouble even finding a comparison.

because it's model fantasy

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to think if there has ever been a KU in that type of pattern...I do not think there has been...at least in the past 60 years. Probably at some point in history there was a crazy storm like shown.

Most of the time it will usually go negative too early and torch us or the vortmax doesn't quite phase and you end up with a sheared out anafrontal wave. It has to be perfect. The huge ridge gives it a chance, but even with it, still a lot of luck involved.

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to think if there has ever been a KU in that type of pattern...I do not think there has been...at least in the past 60 years. Probably at some point in history there was a crazy storm like shown.

Most of the time it will usually go negative too early and torch us or the vortmax doesn't quite phase and you end up with a sheared out anafrontal wave. It has to be perfect. The huge ridge gives it a chance, but even with it, still a lot of luck involved.

given the setup, i expected the euro to show the low occluding and moving over LI/extreme SE SNE

I started paying attention when I saw the ridge axis which you mentioned. Any time you have 576dm heights into British Columbia, it is definitely worth giving the pattern a look.

But I def. agree that everything has to go perfectly to get snow to the coast in this setup -- or at least a significant amount of it. I think there is a small bit of wiggle room in regards to seeing some snow out of this system. If you want something noteable, though, everything has to go exactly right as far as timing with the shortwave and surface low development.

I started paying attention when I saw the ridge axis which you mentioned. Any time you have 576dm heights into British Columbia, it is definitely worth giving the pattern a look.

But I def. agree that everything has to go perfectly to get snow to the coast in this setup -- or at least a significant amount of it. I think there is a small bit of wiggle room in regards to seeing some snow out of this system. If you want something noteable, though, everything has to go exactly right as far as timing with the shortwave and surface low development.

you can easily see something totally miss too if the ridge alignes more SW to NE that North to South.

The JMA keeps the low well offshore but does manage to brush the coastal sections with .25 inches of precip, probably snow at it gets very cold between 144 hrs and 168 hrs with -10 by 168 hrs. It has a storm well offshore with deep moisture, but as I said WAY offshore.

Just really looking at the ridge. Its there on the JMA.

Archived