12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/Tri-State Area: Stumbling into January Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the big ridge is still there, the huge trough is still there. So thats a positive, but it doesnt slow down and dig the s/w into the gulf like 12z.. Like John said, the s/w is a bit late to the party. There's still plenty of potential here so its worth watching still..

Lol, you guys are too much. The pattern has been terrible...keep things in perspective. We have gone several weeks without anything remotely interesting to track. This is not a huge threat where myself and a few others are going to be giddy like last winter...but it is something to watch for sure. That is a very anomalous ridge on the west coast -- and any time you see something like that, you definitely open your eyes a little bit. There are many things working against it, we all have had that drilled into our brains over the last two months, so we can't forget that. It's something to watch, and the potential definitely is there for a dynamic system.

This setup which is so dependent on that western ridge which is itself dependent upon how the trough or upper low across the Pacific to its west behaves means we may see the models lose and gain this storm 2 or 3 times between now and next week. We saw last December how that setup out west caused models to have trouble resolving the 12/17-12/18 storm that never was and the 12/26 mega storm, and that was with a -NAO, add the +NAO and it makes the situation even harder on the models.

The problem with this system is that there is nothing really to get it going other than the ridge itself. So if the ridge isn't in perfect position, as we've seen on tonights models, the storm won't develop in time and the trough will bring cold and dry conditions. Without the blocking to help amplify the flow underneath it, we are relying on the ridge and a well timed shortwave. It's been done before, but it feels like picking out needles from a haystack compared to what we've experienced the past two winters.

A little like Boxing Day set up with +PNA, but neutral EPO and +NAO will give a punch in our faces. Still a bit of a sh*tty setup. Angry Birds comes in quite useful this winter with the crappy pattern. OT: Ikea Swedish meatballs at the Ikea food restaurant are really delicious, no Swedes around unfortunately.

Well, at least the 0z Euro has some significant changes in the overall 7-10 day pattern. It shows a split-flow Aleutian low, a displaced PV over Quebec and a pseudo omega block in the North Atlantic. The PV from the 12 Euro run over the North Atlantic has weakened considerably in the 0z Euro.

Also, this helps a bit:

06zensao.gif

The problem with this system is that there is nothing really to get it going other than the ridge itself. So if the ridge isn't in perfect position, as we've seen on tonights models, the storm won't develop in time and the trough will bring cold and dry conditions. Without the blocking to help amplify the flow underneath it, we are relying on the ridge and a well timed shortwave. It's been done before, but it feels like picking out needles from a haystack compared to what we've experienced the past two winters.

i found myself tonight watching the trends with the ridge on the models tonight. Last year, we were all watching the models to see if we got a phase, closed low etc.. while we already had the ridge and blocking in place...Its definitley a different feel and i agree this event is so dependent on the ridge so that it can amplify the trough and send the s/w shooting down through the plains. It can still happen though and its the best threat since october, but hopefully the pattern changes soon.

Without the negative AO and NAO it feels like Humpty is going to fall off the wall and break into a million pieces before a snowstorm is even a remote possibility this winter. We need a SSW that penetrates in the Arctic latitudes to get the Blocking and -NAO back into equation. This looks like our turd winter we were due. The turd ball seems to be the wild card dealt to us unfortunately. It is just like Winnie the Pooh, with just the last part of his name to put into perspective. You all know it is really bad when a snow eating storm like this past event had no snow to eat away. It feels like one moved from Prince Edward Island to Norfolk from last year to current winter.

i found myself tonight watching the trends with the ridge on the models tonight. Last year, we were all watching the models to see if we got a phase, closed low etc.. while we already had the ridge and blocking in place...Its definitley a different feel and i agree this event is so dependent on the ridge so that it can amplify the trough and send the s/w shooting down through the plains. It can still happen though and its the best threat since october, but hopefully the pattern changes soon.

True. I think people have lower expectations now, so they don't get as upset with each model run. Still, it CAN snow with a +NAO, and the pieces we would need are on the models more than before.

Woulnt get hung up on overall -NAO. We just don't want it raging positive in conduction with the AO. Neutral would give us a lot better chance. But that's talk for another thread. While the huge -NAO block spoiled us the previous 2 winters, it's not the be all, end all.

Euro does not look as amplified at 108 hours...if it's going to show a big storm, it's going to have to be done a different way. The 12z run was much more amplified with the shortwave coming down the ridge at this point. It is not too dissimilar to the ensembles idea of putting much more emphasis on the first trough which allows a large confluent mean trough to form over the US.

It remains to be seen if any shortwaves can dive south and amplify. Nothing too dramatic through 114hrs.

I agree. The 0z Euro has changed the trough evolution, from past runs. There is more shortwave energy now being handed off to into developing a ULL over Canada first. Just like what the GFS was yesterday. Except the GFS wasn't showing more shortwaves digging much after that. So the both models kind of shifted towards each other.

The problem with other shortwaves becoming a storm for us, is that either have to deal being sheared by Canadian ULL, or another shortwave on it's heels. I wouldn't be surprised if this threat gets pushed back a few days.

I am not a big fan of the GFS ensembles past day 10, but it would be neat if it was picking out a pattern change

for the Atlantic in about two weeks like we saw back in 99-2000. The December pattern was similar to this year.

At least the Euro is trying to break even on AO in the 6-10 day.

???????

sadly, we would change to an east based nao, that really only makes up colder.

Look were the negative height anomolies line up, OFF that coast, I.E suppression

and I don't think any of us really want to bank on a January 2000 miracle

sadly, we would change to an east based nao, that really only makes up colder.

Look were the negative height anomolies line up, OFF that coast, I.E suppression

and I don't think any of us really want to bank on a January 2000 miracle

At least if we could get an east based NAO, then we would have some opportunities.

My guess is that if that 360 verified, there would probably be more ridging

out west with it still showing the ridge east of the Caspian.

At least if we could get an east based NAO, then we would have some opportunities.

My guess is that if that 360 verified, there would probably be more ridging

out west with it still showing the ridge east of the Caspian.

I really dont think it changes much, maybe when the NAO relaxes we could squeeze something in, but then you are walking the tight rope again, but in that setup like you posted, its swing and a miss for anything more than 4 inches IMHO. Actually, DC stands to do better in that setup than we do.

We need the warming to get on our side of the globe so that we can start connecting the AO and NAO, then, and only then, do we finally destroy that pig vortex over greenland.

Lol, you guys are too much. The pattern has been terrible...keep things in perspective. We have gone several weeks without anything remotely interesting to track. This is not a huge threat where myself and a few others are going to be giddy like last winter...but it is something to watch for sure. That is a very anomalous ridge on the west coast -- and any time you see something like that, you definitely open your eyes a little bit. There are many things working against it, we all have had that drilled into our brains over the last two months, so we can't forget that. It's something to watch, and the potential definitely is there for a dynamic system.

I would add that we're going to need a pattern change to have much a chance here. There are two changes that seem to be occurring but they are not genuine global pattern changes and they maybe be transient as they have been the past two months. One, we are seeing more amplification in the jet stream with deeper low pressure systems and this can enable one of these systems to be a pattern changer. But so far, we are not seeing that pattern change. Two, we are seeing somewhat colder air available if conditions are right for drawing it se-ward from Canada. But still, without some high lattitude blocking and a well timed phase-up, we will likely continue to see storms tracks over us, just west of us, or too far offshore and the cold shots followed by rain and milder temperatures along with high winds with and the wake of storm systems.

WX/PT

I really dont think it changes much, maybe when the NAO relaxes we could squeeze something in, but then you are walking the tight rope again, but in that setup like you posted, its swing and a miss for anything more than 4 inches IMHO. Actually, DC stands to do better in that setup than we do.

We need the warming to get on our side of the globe so that we can start connecting the AO and NAO, then, and only then, do we finally destroy that pig vortex over greenland.

I don't mind east based blocks as long as we can get some ridging in tandem west of Hudson Bay.

I don't mind east based blocks as long as we can get some ridging in tandem west of Hudson Bay.

well, that goes to what I am saying, you are talking about a real -AO

but give me a list of storms that had an east based block that were substantial for NYC without a real ridge connection to the pole, i bet they number less than 3

Archived