EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs

KokomoWX

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had snow showers all day long. Visibility would drop to under a mile at times, and minutes later the sun would be out. Good stuff. Didn't really accumulate though. The clouds have held on much longer than expected this evening, so temps are still hanging in the mid teens. If we can clear out we may get down towards zero later on.

MLI cleared out and is down to 5 at 11pm, after sitting a 14 the previous hour.

It was. DT always can make you smile with his typos though lol, hes so smart but not the best typist! The gradient pattern he mentioned, however, is quite sterotypical Nina-esque....so those in the north (of which we are certainly a part of) could see several good snowstorms. They just probably wont stick around long :whistle:

Well. We all know anything can still happen. Long range forecasting as we all know still has a ways to go. Still DT's writeup was depressing to read. I didn't say I believe the next 45-60 days will be total crap. There is now more cold air around to tap into. :)

Just glancing through the snowfall totals and departures to date this morning, and I think Fort Wayne IN and Rhinelander WI are the only two above average on the season...as per the local NWS offices. Rhinelander's normal season snowfall is a bit hard to find, so I'm assuming on that one...but I'm pretty sure they are above average currently. Stats below, including 2010-11 snowfall/departures to date...through January 13 for both.

Rhinelander

2011-12: 37.3" (?)

2010-11: 39.4" (?)

Fort Wayne

2011-12: 18.2" (+3.5")

2010-11: 18.9" (+4.2")

Lol 12z GFS has two clippers coming through here in less than 24 hours late next week both producing snow.

Looks like two waves. If they take slightly different paths, should mean a lot of areas get in on the action and some will get in on both. And ugh to long range forecasts. Its like a buzzkill, knowing that AFTER the snowfall thats still 5 days away it will get warm. Try to take one day at a time lol.

Moderate snow and quickly accumulating. Cant believe how the radar just blossomed right over metro-Detroit and is actually holding steady. Its not even your average LES band at all because returns are much weaker to the west. Weird but i will gladly take it! After that hideous looking dry slot sticking out like a sore thumb over SE MI on model qpf maps, advisory maps etc....the surprise persistance of backside snow/LES is well overperforming. :thumbsup:

Moderate snow and quickly accumulating. Cant believe how the radar just blossomed right over metro-Detroit and is actually holding steady. Its not even your average LES band at all because returns are much weaker to the west. Weird but i will gladly take it! After that hideous looking dry slot sticking out like a sore thumb over SE MI on model qpf maps, advisory maps etc....the surprise persistance of backside snow/LES is well overperforming. :thumbsup:

Yes it is... Quick inch huh?

live.jpg?system=pub&webid=8538&pubtoken=3c49c591be631fc01969f08630d424c2&0.14317890536040068

live.jpg?system=pub&webid=8536&pubtoken=3c49c591be631fc01969f08630d424c2&0.33894613827578723

Its been snowing nearly nonstop here in AA for almost 48 hours now. A lot of its been light, but we gotta be over 3" by now. I'll go out and take a real measurement in a bit.

Its been snowing nearly nonstop here in AA for almost 48 hours now. A lot of its been light, but we gotta be over 3" by now. I'll go out and take a real measurement in a bit.

It will have settled some in that timeframe, especially with as fluffy as it is. I measure in 6-hour increments, we had 2.2" through this morning, and the snow depth had settled down to about 1.5" before this new accumulating snow moved in this evening.

This morning was a nice wintry morning, then the last pic is as the snow squalls started early this evening. Still snowing nicely and it looks like we picked up a pretty nice amount (havent measured).

3019-800.jpg

3020-800.jpg

3021-800.jpg

Yeah my eyeballing was a bit optimisitc, snow depth is at 2.5" right now.

I also learned that its impossible to take a snow depth measurement on a college campus without looking like a bit of a dweeb.

LOL. So true. I feel like My neighbors think i'm a weirdo when I measure 1"+ falls

Yeah my eyeballing was a bit optimisitc, snow depth is at 2.5" right now.

I also learned that its impossible to take a snow depth measurement on a college campus without looking like a bit of a dweeb.

Lol. Congrats on your snow. Being in geology, I did lots of measuring and field type exercises that made me and other majors stand out too! I just got used to other people staring at us. A couple hydrology problems we would take snow measurements/cores and figure out the water equivalent in the lab. Fun stuff!

Archived