• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Top 5 weather events that you wish you were alive to see

Hoosier

My top 5 also in chronological order (This is just for my general area, not exactly a national list)

April 6, 1886 Snowstorm

June 8, 1953 Flint/Beecher F5 Tornado

April 3, 1974 Super Outbreak

December 1-2 1974 Snowstorm

January 1978 Blizzard

FTW!

Although Blizzard of DEC 27,28th 1904 in Northern Michigan was good one as well...Over 2 feet of snow on top of a 20" snow depth, sustained winds of 40mph + gusting over 60mph for over 30 hours. Snow drifts of 12-25 feet buried homes. Sounds fun. People had to dig tunnels to get out of there homes.

Also the Blizzard of 1977 in Buffalo would also be a good one.

December 11-12, 1944 - Toronto's largest snowstorm (22.5")

November 1950 snowstorm

October 1954 Hurricane Hazel

January 1978 superbomb

February 27-28, 1984 blizzard

There's some other stuff, like the December 1992 snowstorm and some snowstorms from January 1994 that I was technically alive for, but too young to remember.

December 11-12, 1944 - Toronto's largest snowstorm (22.5")

November 1950 snowstorm

October 1954 Hurricane Hazel

January 1978 superbomb

February 27-28, 1984 blizzard

There's some other stuff, like the December 1992 snowstorm and some snowstorms from January 1994 that I was technically alive for, but too young to remember.

I’m old enough to remember a few on your list. The 1978 super bomb was something, it started off as rain, switched to sleet early in the morning and then to wind whipped snow with zero visibility all day.

Feb 1984 was a great storm but so was Jan 31, 1982 (at least in the Hamilton area). I remember both of those.

My list would also include December 11-12, 1944. My grandparents use to tell stories of a great storm that I think must have been that one.

Hurricane Hazel October 1954, Yup

I’d never heard of November 1950 before, I’ll have to look it up.

I’m old enough to remember a few on your list. The 1978 super bomb was something, it started off as rain, switched to sleet early in the morning and then to wind whipped snow with zero visibility all day.

Feb 1984 was a great storm but so was Jan 31, 1982 (at least in the Hamilton area). I remember both of those.

My list would also include December 11-12, 1944. My grandparents use to tell stories of a great storm that I think must have been that one.

Hurricane Hazel October 1954, Yup

I’d never heard of November 1950 before, I’ll have to look it up.

Looks like Lk Ontario helped you out in Jan 1982. Was a decent storm here but not the foot plus amounts you got.

I never heard a thing about Feb 1984. Just looked it up on the PSU reanalysis page and the EC climo info site but it seemed like it was doozy. It appears to be the only modern era snowstorm in the Toronto area that rivals January 1999.

And speaking of reanalysis, I'd love to see some H5/sfc plots for that Dec 1944 storm. From some of the stories I've read, it effected W PA/W NY just as harshly, which leads me to believe it was an Apps runner.

May 21, 1953 Southwestern ON Major Tornado Outbreak

May 31, 1985 Southern ON/OH/PA/NY Tornado Outbreak

Hurricane Hazel

April 17, 1967 Cyclic Supercell that dropped an F3 tornado two miles north of here

December 12, 1946 Exeter, ON F2 tornado

Runner-ups...

May 2, 1983 SWON/GTA Tornado Outbreak

August 7, 1979 Southern ON Tornado Outbreak

And some snowstorms that SSC mentioned or other biggies that may have affected KW

Summer 1816

23,000 BC (max extent of glaciation)

76,000 BC (Tambora eruption)

642,000 BC (Yellowstone eruption)

425,000,000 BC (Paleozoic greenhouse Earth)

I'm with you man. Who needs to see some random blizzard that dropped an "epic" 3 feet of snow instead of a completely satisfactory 1 or 2 feet? I just have one to add to your list..

Snowball Earth Snowman.gif

Also, some others I wish I was around or coherent to see...

April 20, 1996 Southern ON Tornado Outbreak (happened during my birthday party)

July 2, 1997 SEMI/SWON Tornado Outbreak (had no idea what was going on)

May 22-24, 2004 Southern ON Tornado Outbreak (was up north at a church retreat)

August 19, 2005 Southern ON Tornado Outbreak (was in Florida)

July 8, 2007 Southern ON Tornadic Supercell that passed over Waterloo (was at work, BeauDodson caught it and has chase photos)

August 20, 2009 Southern ON/GTA Tornado Outbreak (was at work)

August 21, 2011 Goderich, ON F3 Tornado (was asleep because I was working nights)

August 24, 2011 Southern ON Severe Tstorm/Tornado Outbreak (working nights, hadn't slept for two days, don't remember much)

Probably others...

I think I've missed every major Southern Ontario tornado outbreak except August 2, 2006 axesmiley.png

Top 3 Locally:

1962 Columbus Day Storm

1972 Portland/Vancouver Tornado

1880 Great Gale

Top 5 Elsewhere:

April 3rd, 1974

1925 Tri-State Tornado

May 1896 Tornado Outbreak Sequence

1935 Labour Day Hurricane

1965 Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak

Other Mentions:

1900 Galveston Hurricane

1928 Okeechobee Hurricane

February 1884 Enigma Tornado Outbreak

June 1953 Flint/Worcester Tornadoes

April 1936 Tupelo/Gainesville Tornadoes

1978 Blizzard/Superbomb

Blizzard of 1888

March 1932 Deep South Tornado Outbreak

May/June 1917 Tornado Outbreak Sequence

November 1913 Great Lakes Storm

April 1908 Deep South Tornado Outbreak (Something tells me the Amite/Purvis tornado was something very similar to Yazoo City)

June 1944 Appalachians Tornado Outbreak

76,000 BC (Tambora eruption)

You mean the Lake Toba eruption. Tambora was 1815, which led to Summer 1816 (or lack there of, of course).

Looks like Lk Ontario helped you out in Jan 1982. Was a decent storm here but not the foot plus amounts you got.

I never heard a thing about Feb 1984. Just looked it up on the PSU reanalysis page and the EC climo info site but it seemed like it was doozy. It appears to be the only modern era snowstorm in the Toronto area that rivals January 1999.

And speaking of reanalysis, I'd love to see some H5/sfc plots for that Dec 1944 storm. From some of the stories I've read, it effected W PA/W NY just as harshly, which leads me to believe it was an Apps runner.

Don’t know if you have ever looked at this site but it has some information on those storms that occurred prior to the 1979 PSU reanalysis page. You can look up any US daily weather map from 1871 onward. It will give you a general idea of the storm track.

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/data_rescue_daily_weather_maps.html

You can go back 400+ years in Britain ...some crazy years.

http://www.netweathe...=winthist;sess=

One thing I wonder about, locally, is land use changes. This state use to be almost entirely forest, and now its down to 50?%....must effect climate somehow.

Yellowstone eruption would have been a sight to see... Would have been dead in a couple years from starvation, but it still would have been cool.

You all are making me feel old! I've seen many of the events you guys have listed, beginning with the Palm Sunday Outbreak (although I was only seven, I remember it vividly), the Super Outbreak, and the '78 blizzard. We also had a nice little blizzard in '77, a beautiful snowstorm in '82 (along with some super cold) and I've witnessed 3 tornadoes within 10 miles of my home. Heck, we all witnessed an historic outbreak of large, devastating tornadoes this year.

I personally don't have a desire to see other events before my time, but I hope to live for a few more years to see the next Super Outbreak or blizzard of '78!!

Don’t know if you have ever looked at this site but it has some information on those storms that occurred prior to the 1979 PSU reanalysis page. You can look up any US daily weather map from 1871 onward. It will give you a general idea of the storm track.

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/data_rescue_daily_weather_maps.html

Neat. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at the maps when I get a chance to download the browser.

You all are making me feel old! I've seen many of the events you guys have listed, beginning with the Palm Sunday Outbreak (although I was only seven, I remember it vividly), the Super Outbreak, and the '78 blizzard. We also had a nice little blizzard in '77, a beautiful snowstorm in '82 (along with some super cold) and I've witnessed 3 tornadoes within 10 miles of my home. Heck, we all witnessed an historic outbreak of large, devastating tornadoes this year.

I personally don't have a desire to see other events before my time, but I hope to live for a few more years to see the next Super Outbreak or blizzard of '78!!

Another Palm Sunday 65 or April 3rd, 1974...or perhaps even worse, a major tornado in Chicago (since several of the local posters here have highlighted the lack of tornado preparedness) would be catastrophic for these areas...considering the population growth.

National:

-March 18th, 1925 Tri-State Tornado

-1930's Heat/Dust Bowl

-April 11-12th, 1965 Tornado Outbreak (Palm Sunday)

-1969 Hurricane Camille

-April 3-4th, 1974 Tornado (Super) Outbreak

Local:

-Summer of 1955 (Heat)

-Jan. 26-27th, 1967 Blizzard

-April 21st, 1967 - Belvidere/Oak Lawn Tornadoes/Outbreak

-Winter 1978-1979

-August 1987 (Heavy Rain/Flooding)

Archived