joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Top 5 weather events that you wish you were alive to see

Hoosier

National:

-March 18th, 1925 Tri-State Tornado

-1930's Heat/Dust Bowl

-April 11-12th, 1965 Tornado Outbreak (Palm Sunday)

-1969 Hurricane Camille

-April 3-4th, 1974 Tornado (Super) Outbreak

Local:

-Summer of 1955 (Heat)

-Jan. 26-27th, 1967 Blizzard

-April 21st, 1967 - Belvidere/Oak Lawn Tornadoes/Outbreak

-Winter 1978-1979

-August 1987 (Heavy Rain/Flooding)

I'd like to re-live 6/5/10 lol get closer

I didn't even think about a national list. I'd have the 1935 labor day hurricane on that list...the only known US landfall with a min pressure below 900 mb. I remember watching a segment with John Hope in which he described how the people who rode it out thought they died and went to hell due to the sand sparking in extreme winds.

January 1996 (technically I was alive, but only 2 y/o)

Gloria in 1985

The whole winter of 1960-61

Donna in 1960

The April 1915 blizzard

Honorable mentions:

The 1983 cold snap (I think it was '83 anyway)

March 1993 superstorm

sorry, East Coast bias

I am from the eastcoast. I was in OC, MD for Gloria and then right up the coast near Lewes DE for Jan 96 and 93. Better snowstorm for the coast was in early Feb 96. Both 83 and 85 had a decent cold snap. 83 was around Christmas i do believe while 85 was January. The Jan 85 artic blast was the only time i saw OES at the beach. I had just moved to OC just days before it hit. Brutal cold with that Ocean there.

You all are making me feel old! I've seen many of the events you guys have listed, beginning with the Palm Sunday Outbreak (although I was only seven, I remember it vividly), the Super Outbreak, and the '78 blizzard. We also had a nice little blizzard in '77, a beautiful snowstorm in '82 (along with some super cold) and I've witnessed 3 tornadoes within 10 miles of my home. Heck, we all witnessed an historic outbreak of large, devastating tornadoes this year.

I personally don't have a desire to see other events before my time, but I hope to live for a few more years to see the next Super Outbreak or blizzard of '78!!

You and me both. lol

Off the top of my head i would have liked to have been here in Jan 67. Even though i saw the eastcoast Blizz of 78 ( Feb ) in Philly i would have loved to seen the one out this way as well.

Sadly I was alive to see some of the mentioned events (i.e. particularly in the 70s) ... ugggg ... I am getting old cry.gif

I am not sure people would want to be around for some of those prior tornado events. You have to keep in mind they didn't storm chase. No smartphones and no portable Doppler radar near instant images. Many deaths were because of lack of knowledge and warnings.

It really makes me wonder how scary high the death count could have been if the 2011 April/May events hit say in the 60s??? Of course the exact path of those 2011 tornadoes would have been likely a lot less populated or even just open fields in 60s as opposed to the populated homes/business there were in 2011. Ironically the death toll may have been less.

I know this post is just for fun during a dreadful December weather pattern but I would much rather repeat the historic snowstorms (the big ones have been mentioned) hands down over destructive tornado events. Don't get me wrong but I love t-storms as much as snowstorms. Snowstorms tend to become historic because of the feet/depth or snow & shutting down of businesses/towns while T-storm/tornado events tend to become historic because of death and destruction.

My top 5 also in chronological order (This is just for my general area, not exactly a national list)

April 6, 1886 Snowstorm

June 8, 1953 Flint/Beecher F5 Tornado

April 3, 1974 Super Outbreak

December 1-2 1974 Snowstorm

January 1978 Blizzard

Good list for MI.

The man that bought my parent's house in Genesee county was 18 years old and living in Beecher area on 8-Jun-53, and will never forget the experience.

He's got 4 out of 5.

Archived