• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Server Upgrade

Wow

We are currently underway to upgrade our server hardware configuration.

We will be moving from our current single dedicated server to two scalable dedicated servers - for web and database. This will significantly reduce our risk of slowdowns during peak times during major weather events and provide an easier platform to scale our hardware resources up or down depending on what we need.

We should be fully migrated by some time tomorrow at the latest. This will involve an IP address change so if you are unable to reach the site for a short time, the cause is probably DNS servers still propagating the new IP address.

Thanks for your support as we continue to grow.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are currently underway to upgrade our server hardware configuration.

We will be moving from our current single dedicated server to two scalable dedicated servers - for web and database. This will should significantly reduce our risk of slowdowns during peak times during major weather events and provide an easier platform to scale our hardware resources up or down depending on what we need.

We should be fully migrated by some time tomorrow at the latest. This will involve an IP address change so if you are unable to reach the site for a short time, the cause is probably DNS servers still propagating the new IP address.

Thanks for your support as we continue to grow.

If DNS becomes an issue what would we be able to do? Or will it fix itself?

As he said - it takes times to propagate. So as all the various DNS options (Verizon, OpenDNS etc) all get the new IP address it will be resolved. OpenDNS has worked best for me. Most people use the DNS that their ISP gives them (ex: mine was set to Verizon's by default).

It will fix itself. We will adjust some settings to try to make the down time as short as possible but it all depends on the DNS server your computer is set to ping. If you are able to, you can change your DNS settings to ping a different server but for most, just waiting it out is the best advice. It shouldn't be long.

If the old server is still around, you can redirect directly to the IP (new server would have to serve the forums using the IP, of course)...or better, there's probably time to do it, create a new subdomain (say www1.americanwx.com) with the new IP address if it's available, and redirect all accesses to the old server to it, that would probably work since it's a new subdomain (no TTL and since theres no previous record, they defer to your NS directly, unless there's some lengthy cache) and there's more time to propagate.

Just some suggestions to Wow... though the probable small downtime for some might not deserve to deviate his efforts making the new server functional.

If the old server is still around, you can redirect directly to the IP (new server would have to serve the forums using the IP, of course)...or better, there's probably time to do it, create a new subdomain (say www1.americanwx.com) with the new IP address if it's available, and redirect all accesses to the old server to it, that would probably work since it's a new subdomain (no TTL and since theres no previous record, they defer to your NS directly, unless there's some lengthy cache) and there's more time to propagate.

Just some suggestions to Wow... though the probable small downtime for some might not deserve to deviate his efforts making the new server functional.

I've done this before. A new sub domain pointing to the new IP address with a 302 redirect in the .htaccess of the old one.

I've done this before. A new sub domain pointing to the new IP address with a 302 redirect in the .htaccess of the old one.

Yep, not that hard and very effective. But I understand there are priorities, and resources are not plenty. It's obviously just a suggestion.

No need to change DNS just to redirect. Just add a redirect statement to an index.html file in the root of the BB. Make it instant.

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.yournewserver.com/index.html">

That would not work, since "www.yournewserver.com" is www.americanwx.com, but for some people it'll resolve to the old server...that will cause a redirect to itself, which will cause a loop...it's a DNS issue.

No it won't. It's a different IP address for the new servers. Both the old and new servers will be available, same DNS just different IP's. At least as far as DNS servers around the internet are concerned. If one DNS continues to see the old server, you'll go there and get redirected to the new IP address. That will work until all DNS servers have been updated and then you'll only go to the new address.

That's the issue...some people will be resolving to the old server, even if the NS is pointing to a new one. You suggested to redirect to "www.yournewserver.com" ... those people will resolve to the old server.

Ie.

www.americanwx.com -> old IP (10.1.1.1)

change www.americanwx.com to point to new IP (20.1.1.1)

Some ISP DNS servers are slow to update....some people type www.americanwx.com->resolves to 10.1.1.1

loads your html with meta refresh redirect .... points to "www.yournewserver.com" which is "www.americanwx.com"->resolves to 10.1.1.1

loads your html with meta refresh redirect .... points to "www.yournewserver.com" which is "www.americanwx.com"->resolves to 10.1.1.1

if you suggested to point to the new IP directly instead of "www.yournewserver.com", then it would work...that was my solution 1) ... but it's better to use a new subdomain, IMO... no ugly IPs in your address bars.

Once you're resolved to the old IP, you'll always go to the old IP until the TTL expires. In other words, Dacula, your suggestion would results in an endless loop.

If you used a new domain or sub-domain, your meta refresh would work. However, it's more appropriate to use a 302 Temporary redirect in your server config. This lets Google Bots know the content has moved temporarily and doesn't affect their algorithms. Your way could affect SEO scores, etc.

Once you're resolved to the old IP, you'll always go to the old IP until the TTL expires. In other words, Dacula, your suggestion would results in an endless loop.

If you used a new domain or sub-domain, your meta refresh would work. However, it's more appropriate to use a 302 Temporary redirect in your server config. This lets Google Bots know the content has moved temporarily and doesn't affect their algorithms. Your way could affect SEO scores, etc.

Not if you redirect to an ip.

Your 2nd part was going to be my other suggestion.

Earlier tonight the board started switching my skin to subscription without me doing anything. I couldn't see most posts because of that. That problem has stopped but now I can't see the information to the left of the posts (avatar, post count, location, etc...). It shows up for a split second when I start up but then it disappears, and the posts get scruntched down.

I am using Firefox on Macbook Pro. Oddly, when I switched to Safari everything was back to normal.

Any idea whatup?

Earlier tonight the board started switching my skin to subscription without me doing anything. I couldn't see most posts because of that. That problem has stopped but now I can't see the information to the left of the posts (avatar, post count, location, etc...). It shows up for a split second when I start up but then it disappears, and the posts get scruntched down.

I am using Firefox on Macbook Pro. Oddly, when I switched to Safari everything was back to normal.

Any idea whatup?

If it's working fine on another browser then it may be a browser problem. Try deleting your cache for the browser.

Archived