• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

I don't agree with that statement. I'm not going to get all excited over a few runs at 180hrs plus but its something to watch. If you take a look at the evolution of the CMC run, it't alot like some of our past big storms. Energy ejects out of the SW, then phases with northern stream energy over the MS Valley. Then bam. Temps would still be marginal in the city on this run, but its a step in the right direction. The NAO is forecasted to take a dip, and become either neutral or slightly negative for a short period of time.

nao.sprd2.gif

The NAO forecasts have been horrible for the last couple of months and way too negative vs. verification. I think it will have to reverse itself eventually, but for the time being it's hard for me to see how we get any appreciable snow with the SE Ridge as monstrous as it is (absolutely refuses to budge on the Euro all the way out to day 10) and the PV over Greenland. Can't get much more unfavorable than that. It's a pattern that favors the Lakes and Midwest.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys seem to be forgetting that the 12z ECWMF had this storm yesterday, then it lost it on the 00z run. Its perfectly normal for models to flip flop back and forth at this range. The CMC is definitly not the greatest model at that range, but this is the first real threat we have had to track since October, even if this fizzles out as time goes on.

Not forgetting, just saying that the one that fits the pattern is the latest Euro run, not the previous one, but who knows. It is still 10 days away. Good discussion though.

You guys seem to be forgetting that the 12z ECWMF had this storm yesterday, then it lost it on the 00z run. Its perfectly normal for models to flip flop back and forth at this range. The CMC is definitly not the greatest model at that range, but this is the first real threat we have had to track since October, even if this fizzles out as time goes on.

Pattern supports a lakes cutter or a warm coastal.

Our best shot of snow, for the forseeable future, is the weak clipper like system for Sunday afternoon.

Let's hope models increase the qpf on it to at least .10", so maybe we can see a dusting. Other then that, doesn't look promising, for the next 7-10 days.

Our best shot of snow, for the forseeable future, is the weak clipper like system for Sunday afternoon.

Let's hope models increase the qpf on it to at least .10", so maybe we can see a dusting. Other then that, doesn't look promising, for the next 7-10 days.

Its not going to snow in this pattern, Im just hoping for extended cold

Thanks for the info. Will take a look. How about being a little nicer though?

Some of you guys need to read more and post less, and read more of the main thread topics. There are some excellent posts in the main thread medium range forecast which support an east coast system in the 8-10 day range and why this pattern could relax early January.

Well, I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas from January 1-7 so you can pretty much count on a HECS while I'm away. It always seems to snow big around here when I go on vacation. I was in Florida for PDII.

Snowy Decembers and the NYC metro don't mix well. Meteorological winter is still a week away and weenies are already jumping off buildings. The past few winters have really spoiled alot of people.

Well, I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas from January 1-7 so you can pretty much count on a HECS while I'm away. It always seems to snow big around here when I go on vacation. I was in Florida for PDII.

Snowy Decembers and the NYC metro don't mix well. Meteorological winter is still a week away and weenies are already jumping off buildings. The past few winters have really spoiled alot of people.

yea i agree...im going to hawaii jan 3-8 and i know it will snow during that time period...btw, the highest mountain in hawaii actually gets snow, maybe ill check it out...imagine the only snow i see this winter besides october is in hawaii!

yea i agree...im going to hawaii jan 3-8 and i know it will snow during that time period...btw, the highest mountain in hawaii actually gets snow, maybe ill check it out...imagine the only snow i see this winter besides october is in hawaii!

Yes, I believe last year all 50 states had measurable snowfall.

Yes, when I travelled to Hawaii, I went to the top of Mauna Kea and Mouna Loa and it was snowing on both. Even had thundersnow!

Temps will be higher than progged today, already 49 in the park. I was noticing today there are STILL quite a few trees here around Midtown east with mostly green leaves (I mean a good number have become 70-80% leaf-less but there are a fair number that still think it's mid Oct or something). Rose plants along the east river still blooming. Sorry, this is bizarre. NYC is above 40N for crying out loud.

Actually meteorological winter started on December 1st; if we get no snow the rest of the month, 1/3 of winter is down the proverbial crapper.

Why are you using the first and last snow events as the edges of winter? And you're not even using the actual last event either. December was very cold almost from the get go, that's winter to me. We also had a coating in mid December. Then we had ice storms in early February. And then there was 3-5 inches of snow on February 21st. I saved a screenshot of my phone from that date that captured LGA reporting heavy snow and 28 degrees.

Yeah last winter was one of the best on record for this area, there's no two ways about it. December was cold from start to finish, the blizzard snow stayed on the ground until mid February (one of the only winters I can remember snowpack on top of snowpack), January was remarkable, February had snow on the ground much of the month which counts for me. Factors for "winter": 1)Snow falling, 2)Snow on the ground, 3)Cold pattern

Archived