joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an important travel time. It does look like rain for the reasons mentioned, but, am I missing anything? Is there a way this could be snow, based upon the set-up? It looks like no features are in place that would keep cold air locked-in. Am I missing anything?

Euro doesn't look half bad at 240 hrs

This is an important travel time. It does look like rain for the reasons mentioned, but, am I missing anything? Is there a way this could be snow, based upon the set-up? It looks like no features are in place that would keep cold air locked-in. Am I missing anything?

As modeled today looks like a stinker to me with no real chance to finally get the thread through the needle

I can't believe when you compare the current weather and the upcoming forecast to the past two years - it's just incredible.. We were about to get hit by massive snowstorms 2 years ago and last year and yet it seems as though October 29th, 2011 was the beginning and end of winter - 2011/12..

Based upon what everyone has been saying it may not snow before January 10th - on the coast.. Maybe winter will never arrive this year.. So strange! I wouldn't discount something like this... I mean how often do you get 7-8 major snowstorms (some KU) in 2 years. 3/09, 12/09, 2/10 (2 or 3 storms), 12/10, 1/11 (2 storms)? Point is, nothing would surprise me at this point!

Just a heads up (especially for those who dont read ot or other subforums), all eyes are on the wx side right now. Follow the rules, especially with regards to the banter threads vs the discussion/science threads. It will help make the wx side even better than it already is, and will keep the subforum gaining the respect it deserves.

On that note....it feels oddly like snow outside....we finally got a stretch of winter type days.

Just a heads up (especially for those who dont read ot or other subforums), all eyes are on the wx side right now. Follow the rules, especially with regards to the banter threads vs the discussion/science threads. It will help make the wx side even better than it already is, and will keep the subforum gaining the respect it deserves.

On that note....it feels oddly like snow outside....we finally got a stretch of winter type days.

The past couple of nights finally have that winter feel in the air.

Let's hope we can squeeze some flakes Sunday evening and then the day 8 system.

John brought it up yesterday and a few of us were talking about it early this morning in OT.

Also, as you probably noticed, a new banter thread was started and the first thing I noted was what should shouldn't be in here.

Agree with you about this subforum gaining the respect it deserves.

To say the ensemble solutions are varied would be the understatement of the year

f180.gif

The Individual ENS members are all over the place with this storm, which is an example with why nothing is set in stone. I find it interesting though that the ENS Mean looks very similar to the Operational with a weak suppressed SWFE, but there are some amped members in the mix, and some members that don't give the area any precip with this storm at all. I also find it really interesting that not a single ENS Member looks like the Operational 18z GFS (except for maybe c000) but the 18z GEFS mean looks like the 18z GFS for this storm.

Looking anywhere for some snow, this old home movie tickled my fancy. This is from an area that doesn't get much snow, about 50 miles north of Gulfport, MS but it looks to have been a pretty decent snowstorm, so much so that it probably wouldn't be too hard to narrow down the date that it occured. I'd love to find some old video like this from my neck of the woods. Should bring a smile to some snow starved faces:

Nick Gregory did something tonight he usually doesn't do. He reported Belmar's high of fifty-five degrees fahrenheit. They are not an official climate station, but he didn't mention any skepticism about the temperature. Amongst the official climate stations in the region, the only station I could find that had a maximum temperature near fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit was Charlottsville, VA. It is possible that Belmar's maximum temperature report was legitimate, but I would have at least a healthy amount of skepticism.

Nick Gregory did something tonight he usually doesn't do. He reported Belmar's high of fifty-five degrees fahrenheit. They are not an official climate station, but he didn't mention any skepticism about the temperature. Amongst the official climate stations in the region, the only station I could find that had a maximum temperature near fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit was Charlottsville, VA. It is possible that Belmar's maximum temperature report was legitimate, but I would have at least a healthy amount of skepticism.

BLM's high was 46, not sure where he got his info. Either way, highs area wide were generally mid 40s, 10 degrees lower than that reported temperatures. Given the current synoptic set-up there's no way that number could be legitimate.

Maybe it was a typo and he read it wrong?

Archived