Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Richmond Metro Winter 11/12 Disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final total for me..... about 4" of snow. Very low liquid to snow ratio... There was actually a fair amount of precip at the Richmond Airport.

I finished with the same amount. It was hard to measure with all the compaction but I tried my best. We have a band or two that have yet to move through but I think accumulations will be insignificant with 5-10 dbz returns.

Keane, looks like DT is having a fit about reported snow totals from AKQ. Just the messenger.

http://1664596.sites...logy/akqsum.jpg

I don't think he was really having a "fit" - just letting everyone know that if they want to see completed snow reports from after midnight they need to send in theirs.

IMO he is spot on about the John Bernier thing...the guy is a professional met and he recorded nearly 1.5" less than me half a mile away. I was honestly being slightly conservative with my 4.0" amount on the NWS report.

I don't think he was really having a "fit" - just letting everyone know that if they want to see completed snow reports from after midnight they need to send in theirs.

IMO he is spot on about the John Bernier thing...the guy is a professional met and he recorded nearly 1.5" less than me half a mile away. I was honestly being slightly conservative with my 4.0" amount on the NWS report.

Really? this strikes me as a very nitpicking argument to take up. Sure the PNS is never going to be a perfect product...we all recognize that. That said, the later reports are what will ultimately matter for graphics and archiving/verification. As for Bernier, he's been around the block and back. he's a trained observer to boot! Calling his and the observations from NWS personnel into question is exceedingly offensive. I'm all for improving our operations however possible...and will forward this up the chain.

Really? this strikes me as a very nitpicking argument to take up. Sure the PNS is never going to be a perfect product...we all recognize that. That said, the later reports are what will ultimately matter for graphics and archiving/verification. As for Bernier, he's been around the block and back. he's a trained observer to boot! Calling his and the observations from NWS personnel into question is exceedingly offensive. I'm all for improving our operations however possible...and will forward this up the chain.

Preliminary reports are serious business :P DT is just being a dick (per usual)... the NWS does a fine job with snow/storm reports.

Mike...I want to be clear that I'm not attempting to go out of my way to defend DT...as Ellinwood said he is up to his usual games. However, the only real "bashing" I see in that image is against John Bernier. In regards to that, I think JB is a wonderful meteorologist and I enjoy watching his broadcasts on television. I don't think Dave has any right to call him out. However, I live approximately 5 miles from him and felt as if I was slightly conservative with my measurement (I used NWS measurement guidelines BTW). In addition, I have numerous friends in Woodlake who all reported final accumulations in the 4.0-4.5" range. I don't want to say his measurement is incorrect, but it definitely strikes me as odd, especially in light of the 4.0"+ reports out of Moseley (my report), Bon Air and Midlothian.

Getting back to the image...IMO a lot of it was about teaching his "fans" how to read the PNS. Near the bottom of the page he poses a question, which could be interpreted as a stab at the NWS, but then quickly answers it. Now, I could be completely misinterpreting his intentions here...perhaps he really was bashing the PNS report, in which case I completely support you guys...however I don't see any angry red circles around around the NWS employee lines or anything like that so I tend to lean the other way. In other words, I see it more as an attempt to tell everyone to wait for the final PNS reports and less of a dig in at AKQ. IMO you guys did the best job with this storm and no one can take that away from you.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike...I want to be clear that I'm not attempting to go out of my way to defend DT...as Ellinwood said he is up to his usual games. However, the only real "bashing" I see in that image is against John Bernier. In regards to that, I think JB is a wonderful meteorologist and I enjoy watching his broadcasts on television. I don't think Dave has any right to call him out. However, I live approximately 5 miles from him and felt as if I was slightly conservative with my measurement (I used NWS measurement guidelines BTW). In addition, I have numerous friends in Woodlake who all reported final accumulations in the 4.0-4.5" range. I don't want to say his measurement is incorrect, but it definitely strikes me as odd, especially in light of the 4.0"+ reports out of Moseley (my report), Bon Air and Midlothian.

Getting back to the image...IMO a lot of it was about teaching his "fans" how to read the PNS. Near the bottom of the page he poses a question, which could be interpreted as a stab at the NWS, but then quickly answers it. Now, I could be completely misinterpreting his intentions here...perhaps he really was bashing the PNS report, in which case I completely support you guys...however I don't see any angry red circles around around the NWS employee lines or anything like that so I tend to lean the other way. In other words, I see it more as an attempt to tell everyone to wait for the final PNS reports and less of a dig in at AKQ. IMO you guys did the best job with this storm and no one can take that away from you.

Just my 2 cents.

I think his 2.7" is believable. I live only a couple miles from him right across the Swift Creek Reservoir and don't have anywhere near the 4 inches that you measured 5-10 miles from me. I more than likely had less than 2.7" total. The driveway and wooden deck were only wet and I had a slushy 1" in the yard when I checked between 10 and midnight. Right now there is no trace of snow at my house.

Archived