christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Richmond Metro Winter 11/12 Disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said to Jake last night that I thought we'd seen the northern and western-most of the potential solutions on the table last night. My gut is that there's going to be a beastly rain-snow line somewhere between the airport and the town of Montpelier in Hanover. I just hope I'm on the north/west side of that line.

I think you'll be fine Kevin. Short Pump seems to do well with these Miller A events.

I also said to my wife, from whom I got a groan of disappointment when I said it (she's a teacher), that this could be one of those events where 4 or 5" accumulates on the deck and almost nothing accumulates on the roads, especially if most of the snow falls during the day.

Think back to 3/1/09. It snowed most of the day and barely accumulated anything. Snowed overnight and we piled up 8" pretty quick out this way.

I think you'll be fine Kevin. Short Pump seems to do well with these Miller A events.

I also said to my wife, from whom I got a groan of disappointment when I said it (she's a teacher), that this could be one of those events where 4 or 5" accumulates on the deck and almost nothing accumulates on the roads, especially if most of the snow falls during the day.

Think back to 3/1/09. It snowed most of the day and barely accumulated anything. Snowed overnight and we piled up 8" pretty quick out this way.

Yeah this is from that afternoon...notice the rates we needed for even minor accumulation.

post-250-0-37744600-1329443291.jpg

I said to Jake last night that I thought we'd seen the northern and western-most of the potential solutions on the table last night. My gut is that there's going to be a beastly rain-snow line somewhere between the airport and the town of Montpelier in Hanover. I just hope I'm on the north/west side of that line.

Short Pump is usually JUST enough NW to get good snows in Miller A's. I live in Tuckahoe, but bought a house out off of 522 (15-20 mi NW of Short Pump). I wish I was moved in for this event!

... And a heads up hazzardous weather update out of AKQ..

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
140 AM EST FRI FEB 17 2012
MDZ023-VAZ048-049-060>091-180645-
SOMERSET-FLUVANNA-LOUISA-PRINCE EDWARD-CUMBERLAND-GOOCHLAND-HANOVER-
CAROLINE-MECKLENBURG-LUNENBURG-NOTTOWAY-AMELIA-POWHATAN-CHESTERFIELD-
HENRICO-KING WILLIAM-KING AND QUEEN-ESSEX-WESTMORELAND-RICHMOND-
NORTHUMBERLAND-LANCASTER-BRUNSWICK-DINWIDDIE-PRINCE GEORGE-
CHARLES CITY-NEW KENT-GLOUCESTER-MIDDLESEX-MATHEWS-GREENSVILLE-
SUSSEX-SURRY-JAMES CITY-YORK-

140 AM EST FRI FEB 17 2012

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST EARLY THIS MORNING...
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE LOWER EASTERN SHORE OF
MARYLAND...CENTRAL VIRGINIA...EAST CENTRAL VIRGINIA...INTERIOR
SOUTHEAST VIRGINIA...SOUTH CENTRAL VIRGINIA...THE MIDDLE PENINSULA
OF VIRGINIA...THE NORTHERN NECK OF VIRGINIA...THE PENINSULA OF
SOUTHEAST VIRGINIA AND THE PIEDMONT OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA.
.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

PLEASE LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR GO TO WEATHER.GOV ON THE
INTERNET FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FOLLOWING HAZARDS.
  DENSE FOG ADVISORY.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.
RAIN IS EXPECTED TO MIX WITH AND CHANGE TO SNOW FROM LATE SUNDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. SOME SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE
POSSIBLE...MAINLY SUNDAY EVENING.
.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.
$$

Agreed, I'm still very wary about the qpf forecast of the GFS, nevermind the wacky downscale NAM. SREF anomalies are rather mediocre honestly (you want a STRONG negaltive SLP anomaly over the SE coast, and the one I see is ~1-2SD below...,as are the Upper anomalies, indicative of a system that does not slow as much as I'd like to see for a major snow dump). Also still some serious misgivings about the Convection riding across the SE. That stuff is depicted by the GFS RACING east across the carolinas, which the models tend to boost QPF (wrongly). Sure, it's colder, great...but if your DGZ dries out more/quicker than the model depicts, who cares? Sorry for the cold water. I'm still behind the light accumulation idea on the back side...but this 4,5,6 Inch forecast for all of the metro? I have to say I'm not there yet. Will be interesting to see 12z.

Agreed, I'm still very wary about the qpf forecast of the GFS, nevermind the wacky downscale NAM. SREF anomalies are looking rather weak (you want a STRONG negaltive SLP anomaly over the SE coast, and the one I see is ~1-2SD below...,as are the Upper anomalies, indicative of a system that does not slow as much as I'd like for a major snow dump). Also still some serious misgivings about the Convection riding across the SE. That stuff is depicted by the GFS RACING east across the carolinas, which the models tend to boost QPF (wrongly). Sure, it's colder, great...but if your DGZ dries out more/quicker than the model depicts, who cares? Sorry for the cold water. I'm still behind the light accumulation idea...but this 4,5,6 Inch forecast for all of the metro? I have to say I'm not seeing it yet. Will be interesting to see 12z.

Got a bit too technical for me there, but I get the gist.

NAM is notorious of overcooking QPF, and the dynamics of this system COULD allow for variable precip shields. However, I feel confident that the metro area will see 4-7 inches widespread.

Agreed, I'm still very wary about the qpf forecast of the GFS, nevermind the wacky downscale NAM. SREF anomalies are rather mediocre honestly (you want a STRONG negaltive SLP anomaly over the SE coast, and the one I see is ~1-2SD below...,as are the Upper anomalies, indicative of a system that does not slow as much as I'd like to see for a major snow dump). Also still some serious misgivings about the Convection riding across the SE. That stuff is depicted by the GFS RACING east across the carolinas, which the models tend to boost QPF (wrongly). Sure, it's colder, great...but if your DGZ dries out more/quicker than the model depicts, who cares? Sorry for the cold water. I'm still behind the light accumulation idea on the back side...but this 4,5,6 Inch forecast for all of the metro? I have to say I'm not there yet. Will be interesting to see 12z.

well it took until feb 17 for a akq met to chime in that just tells you how bad this winter has been :cry: yea ric has a huge bust potential but without a doubt this will be the event of the season here only 0.1 is needed for that lol. keep us posted thanks for popping in

looking at the nam hr 54 has a warm layer but not by much this is where pow/ gooch could be cashing in

post-4-0-20902400-1329493301.gif

here is 57 hour all snow here

post-4-0-53219600-1329493141.gif

now this is the precip that from hr 57 on

post-4-0-23736100-1329493081.gif

as you can see that is still a ton of QPF after the change over thats why just west of ric could get nailed per the nam but the nam would nail ric as well

Also note the heavy precip keyed in by the nam in the 21-03/Mon period, with the soundings clearly showing the DGZ (-10 to -20C) drying out. Again, dubious. Banding will need to come into play here to achieve the lofty totals some are expecting.

Debby-downer... Even if you cut the totals in half, it's a pretty decent accumulation for around here. I feel like it's been years since we had a garden variety 4" snow storm.

Debby-downer... Even if you cut the totals in half, it's a pretty decent accumulation for around here. I feel like it's been years since we had a garden variety 4" snow storm.

LOL, Like i said, I don't mean to be. I'm just trying to pull the reins back a bit. I am totally on board for a light snow, as you say a "Garden Variety" type deal...lets just not let the ahem...barking...get us manic.

Archived