EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Richmond Metro Winter 11/12 Disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After last year's, 28.6", looks like 2011 could finish with only 2.7" of snow. Doesn't bode well for our long-term average.

Puts the 3 year average at 15", even if you include the crap measuring of 7.4" in 12/09 when the airport was really closer to 10"... If you give it 10", you're at a 3 year average of 16"... Really not too bad.

Besides, it's easy for you to say... you're in Denver now and average what, 50" a year?

Puts the 3 year average at 15", even if you include the crap measuring of 7.4" in 12/09 when the airport was really closer to 10"... If you give it 10", you're at a 3 year average of 16"... Really not too bad.

Besides, it's easy for you to say... you're in Denver now and average what, 50" a year?

Yes Kevin, that is true as I've already had over half of that so far this season. December has been a great month with snow on the ground practically every day with another 6-10" tonight! Hopefully, however, I'll be able to make it out before it gets too bad. I have a flight leaving out of DEN very late (12:59am) heading back to VA. I'm not looking forward to the 60s, that apparently will greet me when I get there tomorrow. Bleh..... :cry:

Yes Kevin, that is true as I've already had over half of that so far this season. December has been a great month with snow on the ground practically every day with another 6-10" tonight! Hopefully, however, I'll be able to make it out before it gets too bad. I have a flight leaving out of DEN very late (12:59am) heading back to VA. I'm not looking forward to the 60s, that apparently will greet me when I get there tomorrow. Bleh..... :cry:

It sucks. I wish you could bring the snow and cold with you :cry:

At least you've had winter, we've been stuck in late fall. My only snow was in October. Hope you have a safe trip back. How long will you be in Richmond?

And I'm still utterly bored. I think this is the latest in years I have yet to have a "credible" threat to track for this area. We at least got teased by now with a few late night tracking only to loose out the end. But has not even been anything worth taking the time to put to much interest in lately.

Wow did anyone just see that meteor? just came out of church and looked up and Huge blue and Orange fireball racing across the sky. Told the kids it was Santa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QCyY9hLTkQ

39731.jpg

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance. Upgrade Now or More Info.close

CBC NEWS

A mysterious streak of light in the night sky baffled many Europeans on Christmas Eve, with speculation running wild as to whether it was a meteor, a comet or space junk.

Videos captured in Germany, France and Belgium show the blaze of light passing across the sky more slowly than a typical shooting star, and with greater brightness and detail.

The leading edge of the streak appears round and white, while the tail trailing it has an orange tone in some images.

People commenting on Twitter wondered about a range of possibilities. Some suggested it might be a comet, while others thought it could be space junk.

There was also speculation about rocketry. The last major blast-off, of a Russian Soyuz-2, was Friday, and some amateur astronomers conjectured that a spent rocket stage was plunging back toward Earth.

German and Belgian astronomical authorities differed on the cause.

A spokesperson for the German Aerospace Centre, the country's national aerospace research institute, told a local newspaper that the celestial phenomenon was "99.9 per cent" certainly a meteor.

"Every year 200 tonnes of material falls to Earth. Sometimes it's a big chunk," Andreas Schutz said.

CBC News

The Royal Observatory of Belgium disagreed, saying Sunday in a statement on its website that the streak of light was from the atmospheric re-entry of the final stage of a Soyuz rocket that launched on Wednesday and delivered three astronauts to the International Space Station two days later.

Looks like things just got even more interesting. Regardless of the HECS showing up on hour 192, the cold air is a thing of beauty (although in this case I imagine the LP is driving down even more cold air than just the cold front alone). Anyone know if the Euro ensembles are on board?

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS192.gif

It's nice to finally see something to track given this god awful season for the east. But, no way that verified. And after last December's fiasco with the ECMWF showing a blizzard for RIC for several days straight, no way I'll be jumping on this bandwagon until it's within 48hrs.

yea we know it won't be like this but, i would take half of that storm the euro is showing and be happy

akq long range

FXUS61 KAKQ 272101

AFDAKQ

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA

401 PM EST TUE DEC 27 2011

.&&

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

GFS/ECMWF CONTINUE TO BE MILES APART WHEN IT COMES TO TANGIBLE

WEATHER DURING THE EXTENDED PERIOD...ESPECIALLY THE MONDAY/TUESDAY

PERIOD. GFS CONTINUES CURRENT TREND OF SLOW AMPLIFCATION TO

PATTERN...BUT IS CONSIDERABLY FURTHER EAST THAN ECMWF...WHICH

WOULD IMPLY MUCH COLDER WEATHER EARLY NEXT WEEK. HPC IS SIDING

WITH ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN...WHICH IS FURTHER EAST AND LESS

AMPLIFIED THAN OPERATIONAL ECMWF. GIVEN SUCH A DISPARITY...HAVE

OPTED TO GO VERY CLOSE TO HPC EXTENDED GUIDANCE...WHICH IS CLOSER

TO GFS FROM THE PERSPECTIVE TEMPS AND POPS. BOTTOM LINE...A

GENERALLY DRY PERIOD IN THE EXTENDED...WITH NEAR TO SLIGHTLY ABOVE

NORMAL TEMPS THROUGH SUNDAY...THEN A TREND TOWARD NORMAL TO

SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL TEMPS MONDAY/TUESDAY.

HOWEVER...THIS IS A BELOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST...ESPECIALLY FROM

MONDAY ON...GIVEN CONSIDERABLE MODEL DIFFERENCES.

Archived