Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Richmond Metro Winter 11/12 Disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean, your thoughts on the overnight runs?

Honestly, I'm not too far off with what the midcrew was thinking. Despite column cooling ahead of the southern stream system, TOP-Down approach and soil temps say the metro is not going to accumulate much of anything prior to 4 or 5 sunday as the second northern stream wave drops through and really gets that dynamical cooling going. I'm heartened that we'll indeed have a shot at some convective banding as the main shortwave kicks across, but that's going to be a fairly localized process, with the EC still seemingly wanting to keep this south of the metro. Experience tells me the model depiction is often a bit farther south than it verifies, so I'd favor it northwest of town. Overall, I'd be looking for a fairly widespread light 1-3" wet snow event for the metro and southside va, with a stripe of 3-6+ From LYH to LKU, possibly as far south as FVK to OFP. Not a MECS by any stretch, but it's fun to finally get a storm worth tracking!

Honestly, I'm not too far off with what the midcrew was thinking. Despite column cooling ahead of the southern stream system, TOP-Down approach and soil temps say the metro is not going to accumulate much of anything prior to 4 or 5 sunday as the second northern stream wave drops through and really gets that dynamical cooling going. I'm heartened that we'll indeed have a shot at some convective banding as the main shortwave kicks across, but that's going to be a fairly localized process, with the EC still seemingly wanting to keep this south of the metro. Experience tells me the model depiction is often a bit farther south than it verifies, so I'd favor it northwest of town. Overall, I'd be looking for a fairly widespread light 1-3" wet snow event for the metro and southside va, with a stripe of 3-6+ From LYH to LKU, possibly as far south as FVK to OFP. Not a MECS by any stretch, but it's fun to finally get a storm worth tracking!

I'm a little higher than you, but that's basically what I wrote last night in Facebook chat...

RIC >2"

downtown RVA 2"

Tuckahoe 4"

Short Pump: 5"

Louisa: 5"

Someone south of louisa in goochland or powhatan is likely to see 8

So Euro puts 0.94 precip into Richmond with a surface temperature of 33 for the duration........... 850's are cold enough though. :lmao:

With the sun going down, I think RIC should be safe. Back in December 2005, we got 4.4" from a storm with temps 33-34 the whole time and it happened the day after RIC hit 64 degrees. So, I think it'll be ok.....probably not 9", but at least half that....I put out last night 4.2" officially and I'm sticking to it.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA

315 PM EST SAT FEB 18 2012

VAZ048-049-060>063-066>071-080-191100-

/O.NEW.KAKQ.WS.A.0001.120219T1700Z-120220T0900Z/

FLUVANNA-LOUISA-PRINCE EDWARD-CUMBERLAND-GOOCHLAND-HANOVER-

LUNENBURG-NOTTOWAY-AMELIA-POWHATAN-CHESTERFIELD-HENRICO-DINWIDDIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LOUISA...FARMVILLE...GOOCHLAND...

ASHLAND...CREWE...COLONIAL HEIGHTS...RICHMOND

315 PM EST SAT FEB 18 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WAKEFIELD HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* AREAS AFFECTED: CENTRAL VIRGINIA

* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW...PERHAPS MIXED WITH SLEET SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL MIX WITH AND CHANGEOVER TO ALL SNOW SUNDAY

AFTERNOON...WITH THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS COMING LATE

SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF

LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: ROADS MAY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLICK SUNDAY

AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT...CREATING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

beautiful...

AKQ mets,

Did you mean to forecast 4-8" for western Fluvanna or was this an oversight? Humbly yours, Dude at Lake Monticello.

It's only because I'm off this week...I'd have made sure you had a big ole Goose egg in point and click :D

Still very nervous about the look to the soundings. I'm very suspicious about the snow totals away from what should be a fairly impressive Frontogenetic band that develops early tomorrow evening. We'll see how it plays out!

It's only because I'm off this week...I'd have made sure you had a big ole Goose egg in point and click :D

Still very nervous about the look to the soundings. I'm very suspicious about the snow totals away from what should be a fairly impressive Frontogenetic band that develops early tomorrow evening. We'll see how it plays out!

What are you using for ratios? I remember storms like this in the past. It can snow for hours with only an inch or two. Wet, heavy, melting, base. I'm thinking 2-3" of concrete at most for almost everyone, but I'm a pessimist. Modeled QPF has really diminished in the last 24 hours. Is there a nugget of good news in some of the short range stuff you see? BTW, get them folks in Blacksburg to fix Roanoke's point and click. 2-4"??

What are you using for ratios? I remember storms like this in the past. It can snow for hours with only an inch or two. Wet, heavy, melting, base. I'm thinking 2-3" of concrete at most for almost everyone, but I'm a pessimist. Modeled QPF has really diminished in the last 24 hours. Is there a nugget of good news in some of the short range stuff you see? BTW, get them folks in Blacksburg to fix Roanoke's point and click. 2-4"??

Not sure what they used since i'm out on leave..but it looks like a low SLR for much of the event, which is why my totals are lower than most. However, that quck moving band will be a much lighter snow, so it'd be a much more efficient producer. I did knock about a third of the EC QPF totals too...so we'll see how it goes. I think somebody between palmyra and Hampden sydney is gonna come down with 6+ as strongest forcing pushes through.

That's the hour 24 panel... the next one isn't as bad...

Looks like south and east of town do better and not much of a difference in the West End, but the farther west you go, like Goochland, looks worse.

Edit: Weenie map comparison

00z

JxODt.png

18z

CleBD.png

Archived