northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Roll Call

Alpha5

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that anyone cares, but I'm here....mostly a lurker, until obs are needed. Attended a storm spotter class a couple of weeks ago. Fourth wx bb for me. Started at the old TWC boards, moved to WWBB, then Eastern and here. Always have been, always will be Echo. Kind of panicked when I went to Eastern to see what everyone was speculating for winter and found it was down....Glad to be here.

Lynn

Been very busy since starting school this semester, so I haven't had a lot of time to post and I seem to have missed all of the "drama." But it's good the community will survive even if the old boards do not. Hopefully we have some interesting things to discuss this winter and it's not a total bust. :)

• 1 year later...

Back but with no power and migrated to my lake house. 15 trees on my property down, 2 on the house and 1 totaled car. No power and separated from my wife and 1 year old. Staying strong, but that was the scariest night of my life and the 5th day after moving in our new home from Philly. (Steve, Byram Twp. PA). I hope everyone else is okay and thanks for all this site is...

^ Yes that.

I am present and accounted for. Significant damage to the neighborhood but none to my house structurally. Fence was demolished by a huge tree that fell out of our backyard and missed our house by a few feet. Most homes around my area didnt fare so well.

With that being said I assisted in recovery operations in various areas today. My cousins house was burned down in Rockaway. A horrific scene, and one I thought I would never see in my life.

For those of you who were directly affected, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Let me know if you need help or assistance beyond what is available. It's the least I could do given the fact that I made it out of this thing with minimal damage.

Much love for y'all.

If anyone has any specific needs, post them here as well, hopefully we can offer some help.

For me, being back in here is help enough from you guys. Read every post and learned a ton leading up to this event. However, I learned more than I ever wanted to from about 7:30PM to 1AM that night. There is nothing in the world scarier than holding your 1 year old and wife so tight with winds dropping trees all over your house and property. Couple that with trying to talk with my Dad/Mom (in tears) who had 10 feet of water in their house force them to the second floor in Monmouth county and now have a demolished house with no flood insurance,and things have been tough for me and my family. My father got up at 2 AM to get gas and waited 6 hours only to get within 15 cars and be told they were out.

I love the weather. I'm in awe of it. I love the chase --- the tracking, the power.

For the first time in my life on Monday night --- it terrified me to tears. I'm a tough, grown man and have no problem admitting that to anyone who asks from this day till I die.

I'm still standing...I got off lightly...I lost power for 20 hours and then another three hours...I got gas before the storm but didn't fill up...I got about a third of a tank left...I should have fill it up...I know of a women who lost her house...There is a new building next to my house that shielded my house from the winds until they switched to the south...Then I got worried one of the trees from the swin club would fall on my house...My block was so lucky the trees that are dead a least seven years near of my house survived...I thought for sure they would fall...One did in the back but fell away from my house...

Here from Boonton,nj. No power still, cold, but we were well prepared thanks to the amazing members of this board. That being said, no one could have prepared me for the terror of those winds, and the sound of the trees crashing down, the green flashes of transformers blowing. We have firewood, oil lamps and plenty of food. Mostly, we have great survival skills and healthy initiative. Thankfully none of my loved ones were hurt though very few have power still. My prayers go out to those who lost loved ones. Lack of power and gasoline is a minor annoyance and for that I'm grateful. Hang in there everyone.

Rumor is ill get power back tonight. Be nice to sleep at home, I think ive worn out my welcome at my parents house laugh.png

Funny you say that. My grandmother moved into our house Tuesday and my mother's telling me that she's worse than the hurricane itself. They're both praying for power restoration. It's now been since Monday night that the power's been out in Colts Neck, Monmouth County.

Thankfully we don't have many large trees in the neighborhood, so no trees down, just some large branches. The no power, gas shortage is now the biggest problem for many in Monmouth County. We didn't have to deal with the horrible surge and flooding that coastal Monmouth had.

I drove back to school in Villanova Wednesday and I feel like my family's in a 3rd world country when I talk to them on the phone. Here I am, with no gas lines in SE PA, power, the works, and they're over there running around looking for food, gas, fuel for the generator, etc.

We have a generator at home that powers the heat and hot water, so my parents have alread had like 15+ people come over to either use the shower, sleep, just hang out in the heat, etc.

The storm itself was incredible, exciting, and the provided the biggest adrenaline rush since the Boxing day blizzard. You've got to just sit back in awe of the power of nature sometimes. The incessant roar of the wind through the trees between 7-10pm Mon night was nothing short of spectacular, in a possibly terrifying way as someone as said. Nature is both devastating and awe inspiring...

How's Marine Park?

Terrible, many many trees & poles into houses, a lot of wind damage here, roofs & sides of houses. Water stopped 2 blocks away but I've been in rockaway helping fam & friends it's so bad there. My family also lost the store in Babylon village, how's it by you?

Terrible, many many trees & poles into houses, a lot of wind damage here, roofs & sides of houses. Water stopped 2 blocks away but I've been in rockaway helping fam & friends it's so bad there. My family also lost the store in Babylon village, how's it by you?

I posted pics from my area in the obs thread. It's still a disaster. I got my power back last night. 72 hours without power. My basement is still flooded. I was pumping out some of the water today.

Archived