northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 16th event

RaleighWx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAM looks like points north and nw of I-40 get snow to start, most of the moisture in this storm is in Kentucky, getting railed!

I agree, I think most models look pretty bad in central to northeast KY. Through 39 hours they have over .75" and still below freezing, that would be horrible. The first few hours would be snow but someone in there is going to get some power outting type ice.

00z NAM looks like points north and nw of I-40 get snow to start, most of the moisture in this storm is in Kentucky, getting railed!

yep, light precip over far n ga in to the western carolinas otherwise pretty bland. soundings dont look good for this area.

edited to add: jeesh what a change from just yesterday :( it would be nice to have one shift/trend in our direction for a change (like it appeared to briefly monday morning) as we approach, not the other way around (yeah i know, same old gripe)

I agree, I think most models look pretty bad in central to northeast KY. Through 39 hours they have over .75" and still below freezing, that would be horrible. The first few hours would be snow but someone in there is going to get some power outting type ice.

Yep major issues there.

Wow this run sucks. 42 hours the fun is pretty much in VA.

Well I'm willing to say pass on this one. Let's hope this weekend can give us something.

yep, light precip over far n ga in to the western carolinas otherwise pretty bland. soundings dont look good for this area.

edited to add: jeesh what a change from just yesterday :( it would be nice to have one shift/trend in our direction for a change (like it appeared to briefly monday morning) as we approach, not the other way around (yeah i know, same old gripe)

Well, sometimes we have storms well south and they trend north at the last minute juest enough for parts of northern GA, SC, NC, and VA to cash in instead of sending the storm out to sea, so in those cases I love the north trend...but for this one, VA had enough fun last year...it's our turn. But at least it shows SOME precip, but maybe I'm biased as the "best" of the SE is smack dab RDU and northward...I wouldn't mind bring this thing a smug down south either.

edit: anddddd after 42hrs we have the liquid movin in. Oh well. next!

Yep major issues there.

Well I'm willing to say pass on this one. Let's hope this weekend can give us something.

its been over 5 years since we had any icing here that created any kind of issue :lol: (although .75 is about my limit. too much more and its too damaging to the trees, etc)

the way things have been lately, the weekend storm will end up in indiana :whistle: too bad the speed up in precip arrival time didnt continue today like it was previously.

Well, sometimes we have storms well south and they trend north at the last minute juest enough for parts of northern GA, SC, NC, and VA to cash in instead of sending the storm out to sea, so in those cases I love the north trend...but for this one, VA had enough fun last year...it's our turn. But at least it shows SOME precip, but maybe I'm biased as the "best" of the SE is smack dab RDU and northward...I wouldn't mind bring this thing a smug down south either.

This run is border line ZR/SN for RDU for a few hours.

More like Hillsborough and northward on this one... but at least we don't live too far south. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this one but not ready to give up hope. NAM still spits out 1-2" of snow IMBY, then some freezing rain.

It looks like the NAM is holding the energy for our weekend storm back a little longer. Maybe this will buy us some more time for cold air to sag south... and allow a piece of northern branch energy to hit it early enough and far enough south to get us in the game. (it's a long shot... but stranger things have happened)

Archived