joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well models leaning away from our storm now. 6Z GFS ENS there was a few interesting members. However, the NAO and PNA look to be going in the right direction for once.

Yeah...I'm thinking by around Christmas we'll have at least a decent cold shot and maybe a few snow chances.

Well models leaning away from our storm now. 6Z GFS ENS there was a few interesting members. However, the NAO and PNA look to be going in the right direction for once.

nao.sprd2.gif

pna.sprd2.gif

Those index forecasts are certainly a lot more decisive today, thats for sure. Two days ago the AO had a ensemble spread of 5 standard deviations (from +4 to -1) near the Dec 5-7th timeframe and the PNA and NAO forecasts were pretty similar in their spread. Still a work in progress with regards to a decent regime to maybe deliver our first (in season) winter storm of the season. I'd still be looking for a clipper type system as the first one to deliver some kind of a widespread snowfall until we get the teleconnections lined up better..assuming this early week storm coming up doesn't actually end up having a backend changeover. Otherwise, systems coming out of the southwest will have a high likelihood to cut.

Are you buying it lol? :shiver:

Things have certainly looked chillier in the long range as of late on the models, so I anticipate at least seasonably cold weather once we get through this early week event and whatever it brings. The key will be if we can get some better support for this via the teleconnections. And ensemble generated teleconnection forecasts have been all over the place more often than not with very high spread (except for todays which was much more decisive and trending in a good direction). My concern is continuing to get storms that end up cutting west ala the classic nina pattern. 0z GFS is the first run i've seen that had a bunch of cold and a few timeframes where you could argue snowfall oppurtunities. Not gonna totally bite yet, but will be watching to see how things go in later runs. I do know from watching JB's twitter that he seems to support the idea of some major cold in the US near mid month.

Things have certainly looked chillier in the long range as of late on the models, so I anticipate at least seasonably cold weather once we get through this early week event and whatever it brings. The key will be if we can get some better support for this via the teleconnections. And ensemble generated teleconnection forecasts have been all over the place more often than not with very high spread (except for todays which was much more decisive and trending in a good direction). My concern is continuing to get storms that end up cutting west ala the classic nina pattern. 0z GFS is the first run i've seen that had a bunch of cold and a few timeframes where you could argue snowfall oppurtunities. Not gonna totally bite yet, but will be watching to see how things go in later runs. I do know from watching JB's twitter that he seems to support the idea of some major cold in the US near mid month.

Yeah, it's much better than it was. There do seem to be snowfall opportunities. I had to chuckle at the 384 hour 06Z GFS.....wonder if anyone will take the bait.

At this point in time, I will take whatever storm is shown. The pattern has been boring, at least I have something to track now :popcorn: . The storm does perhaps look to have some backend snow potential but mainly on the western side of PA. The long range looks tolerable and not hideous like it has been lol. You are right MAG and Jamie, in a La Nina seems like you can't win. It is either cold and dry or warm and wet :arrowhead:

At this point in time, I will take whatever storm is shown. The pattern has been boring, at least I have something to track now :popcorn: . The storm does perhaps look to have some backend snow potential but mainly on the western side of PA. The long range looks tolerable and not hideous like it has been lol. You are right MAG and Jamie, in a La Nina seems like you can't win. It is either cold and dry or warm and wet :arrowhead:

No, that's not at all what I am saying. I'm saying that this year, there is going to be a lot of false alarms and surprise storms (meaning storm prematurely written off). Gonna have to keep level heads.

The question is - do some of you (and you know who you are) have the backbone to keep a level head? This ain't gonna be a winter for p-ussies, folks. :weight_lift::thumbsup:

No, that's not at all what I am saying. I'm saying that this year, there is going to be a lot of false alarms and surprise storms (meaning storm prematurely written off). Gonna have to keep level heads.

The question is - do some of you (and you know who you are) have the backbone to keep a level head? This ain't gonna be a winter for p-ussies, folks. :weight_lift::thumbsup:

i have the backbone...i have already told myself that this isnt my winter and be happy with what you (me) get.

not that i over-react to no snow but it does sting a little deep down inside when we (W-Central pa) miss the big ones.

life goes on with or without snow and im happy to be alive with a great family <- thats what really matters. ;)

Archived