Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid-Atlantic Check-in

Kmlwx

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked in - Man I really miss old eastern so bad. All those precious posts - lost forever. Man that absolutely breaks my heart - all those 2009-2010 snow pics and posts. All gone - I'll never see anything like that ever again, I'm way too old.

It's a damned good thing now that so much of my life is truly associated with social media and blogging. Thank goodness. However - I am looking forward to a wonderful time this winter here at the AMERICAN Weather Forums!!!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I managed to make it lol. I noticed eastern being the way it was last week it looked like it was there all though no one could post on it and then it went poof. So im here to provide my mid atlantic insight and predictions as always.

I was HokieWx on Eastern - mostly a lurker and occasional poster, but never shook the purple tag.

I live in southwest Virginia (just outside Blacksburg) now, and am not entirely sure if I fit here or in the Southeast board, but here I am. I still focus on Richmond quite a bit and write for RVANews.

Fortunatley, I did a GOOGLE search.. sadly there was no archive of last year's posts from the bilzzards!

That is truly sad - All the pictures and stories of a lifetime - from an epic snow season that none of us here in the southern Mid Atlantic shall NEVER EVER see again for at least 100 years - ALL OF IT GONE as though it never happened.

Well that's life - What is done is done. My family is truly correct - There is MUCH more to life than weather and snow - And this EUSWX episode proves it way beyond a doubt.

I am thankful I am so pathologically obsessed with Twitter, FriendFeed, LinkedIn, Facebook, blogging, ebooks, Interactive Learning Environments, and multimedia.

Let's see all that get lost forever. Trust me - It won't.

When I looked for a decent hobby - I looked for something no one would ever be able to destroy or forget to pay for or whatever. You got to look out for Number One FIRST - No one else is ever gonna do it for you. Never forget that and you're money. This blogging craze - you can make ridiculous amounts of cash selling your own products too. NO overhead. It's scalable as all hell too!!

Not only am I happy, even if winter is 120 degrees every year for the rest of my natural life, but I can make money, unlike with my love for cold winters - and I know I will NEVER see winters north of 38N.

I'm heartbroken that the beautiful stories and snow pics from the EPIC winter of 2009-2010 are gone forever - But I will be forever thankful to EUSWX/American WxForums for teaching me a precious lesson:

There is far more to life than snow, and forums can go unpaid for - and if all your memories are there - You are epically screwed.

It's high time to learn from all of this for once and for all.

We are in a terrible recession and the US is in terminal trouble, financially and otherwise. It is going to get far worse. The geopolitical landscape is changing as well. Horrific changes are in store and will grossly affect all of us on many different levels within the next 2 to 6 years.

It costs money to run a forum with this many people on it.

This is a severely challenging economy and it will not get better for the foreseeable future. It will in fact, get much worse. There are many problems America has long had that are only now coming home to roost. The problems have been building for several generations and it will take more generations to get out of and extreme austerity to get out of - and I can reasonably predict that we will not take those measures, so, There you have it.

There will be many more painful lessons to learn, but this one - EUSWX running out of cash - is only the first.

Time for Americans to face the proverbial music.

Snow and winter for me are entertainment - much like blackjack and slots are.

There are much more important issues facing us right now and in the coming difficult years.

Losing the pictures and stories from 7 years of EUSWX is hard. It's tough. But we will get through this and we must as even more challenging decisions confront all of us.

BTW - I have already printed this little article out and recorded it on various media. It's all about what you learn from the most painful experiences in your life ;)

That is truly sad - All the pictures and stories of a lifetime - from an epic snow season that none of us here in the southern Mid Atlantic shall NEVER EVER see again for at least 100 years - ALL OF IT GONE as though it never happened.

Wait. There was no online backup and archiving? Those services are very cheap nowadays. I have 50GBs of backup space on Verizon for $10/month.

To Jebman and aldelphi_ski and others...

Eastern died because the board's owned, Marcus, was tired of taking care of it and let it die. He refused to give others the database info, which meant that we couldn't save the content. Many offered to take the site over. It was not due to a lack of funds, as American has gotten over $5,500 in donations. I'm sure if it meant saving Eastern the same thing would have happened.

And Jebman, that post is way too long lol.

To Jebman and aldelphi_ski and others...

Eastern died because the board's owned, Marcus, was tired of taking care of it and let it die. He refused to give others the database info, which meant that we couldn't save the content. Many offered to take the site over. It was not due to a lack of funds, as American has gotten over $5,500 in donations. I'm sure if it meant saving Eastern the same thing would have happened.

And Jebman, that post is way too long lol.

I appreciate the explanation - I didn't deserve one - Never did have the balls to donate to the board. I'll get over the loss of the old board.

Yeah - my post was a bit long. And over the top.

Archived