• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

Did you miss the several inches of snow in the southeast a few days ago, in November no less? Just come back to troll? Just curious. I think the pattern is pretty exciting. It's obvious we aren't seeing the same signs of record blocking from last year but we also didn't see much hopes of a +PNA last year either and we are staring one in the face this year. IMO It's been a pretty typical fall temps wise, and a heck of a lot wetter for some on this board.

Not exactly, the placement of the ridging is not optimal for the east coast cold... The current configuration will direct cold blasts into the mountain west and plains for the most part. We are seeing some ridging but that is not equating to a +PNA.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had great storms in "warm" winters (1999,2000) and (2001,2002), we just need to catch a 7-10 period where we get some blocking and hope we get a storm during that period. It seems we have active storms consistently being shown, so we just need the blocking to cooperate. Personally I prefer to have it this way, at least we can save some money on our heating bills enjoy the outdoors and hope we catch lighting in a bottle for a snowstorm.

It also says this on the very next line.

It's been a pretty Nina like pattern so far in most of the US, and the nina conditions seem to really be in the cards the fist half of December. Lots of mets don't see any change in the AO till late December or Early January and even that is far from a guarantee. Unfortunately the map Accuweather just put out could easily be dead on. Nina climo is what much of the US has seen so far this season, until there are signs of change expect more of the same.

Is the snow we saw in Georgia the other day in November typical of La Nina ?

According to the NWS... yes.

The current La Nina conditions are expected to peak this winter (just like last winter). Therefore... we (NC) will continue to have an increased odds of above normal Temperatures and below normal Precipitation in the overall D-F 3 month period. (Figures 6-7). However, remember La Nina typically brings surprises with cut off lows (remember January 2000's blizzard). These events become more likely for us when the AO and NAO are negative or strongly negative. If and when we see signs of any change to our current pattern, we will let you know!

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/news/content/TypicalLaNina24Nov2011.pdf

Yeah, but in November ???????? I saw my first ever snowflakes in November in my entire lifetime !! As far as us having below normal precip this winter, I'm not so sure. I ended up with about 5" in November and November is typically drier than Dec-March ! This very rainy pattern we're in does not seem very La Nina-like to me.

According to the NWS... yes.

http://www.erh.noaa....na24Nov2011.pdf

Interesting of them to say that this type of thing occurs during strong neg AO and-NAO patterns yet we've been having them in + side of both. And both look to remain positive, yet the cutoff's are still showing up strongly. I'd answer yes and no to that though, since Nina's are amplified but not usually this much. So despite the odds, other cutoffs are very possible and maybe likely for the southeast , some will have snow. Also, it's not very dry here for a Nina, and there's more rain coming up in the pattern, so this is a very wet Nina for NC and esp. the interior Southeast...I know ATL has been shafted and the central and eastern Carolinas lately. Latest ECMWF drops plenty more rain next week to 10 days in the Tn Valley and western Carolinas. Its a very active pattern, loaded with moisture, the further inland and west you go, the more so.

Yeah, but in November ???????? I saw my first ever snowflakes in November in my entire lifetime !! As far as us having below normal precip this winter, I'm not so sure. I ended up with about 5" in November and November is typically drier than Dec-March !

Look, I have no idea how winter will actually turn out this year. All I know is that I thought this is what we would be seeing back in September when I posted my thoughts about winter. La Nina is a powerful force and while things may not line up perfectly to a La nina winter it is pretty darn close for most of the US. Notice how I used the word most again. Not every area of the country is going to see perfect La nina conditions but it's hard to argue that most of the US has not been La Nina like.

It also says this on the very next line.

It's been a pretty Nina like pattern so far in most of the US, and the nina conditions seem to really be in the cards the fist half of December. Lots of mets don't see any change in the AO till late December or Early January and even that is far from a guarantee. Unfortunately the map Accuweather just put out could easily be dead on. Nina climo is what much of the US has seen so far this season, until there are signs of change expect more of the same.

Thankfully for us Accuweather maps are almost always wrongguitar.gif. It will be interesting to see. The Euro doesn't hold out any hope either. Either way we were spoiled by last winter and I think that early NE snowstorm had people's expectations through the roof. I'll keep watching but don't expect anything till mid Jan.

Interesting of them to say that this type of thing occurs during strong neg AO and-NAO patterns yet we've been having them in + side of both. And both look to remain positive, yet the cutoff's are still showing up strongly. I'd answer yes and no to that though, since Nina's are amplified but not usually this much. So despite the odds, other cutoffs are very possible and maybe likely for the southeast , some will have snow. Also, it's not very dry here for a Nina, and there's more rain coming up in the pattern, so this is a very wet Nina for NC and esp. the interior Southeast...I know ATL has been shafted and the central and eastern Carolinas lately. Latest ECMWF drops plenty more rain next week to 10 days in the Tn Valley and western Carolinas. Its a very active pattern, loaded with moisture, the further inland and west you go, the more so.

Yeah, I just noticed that Atlanta only had about 2.50" for November while i'm 45 miles away and had about 5" !! I know in the summer the rainfall can vary tremendously from one area to another but you would think rainfall would be a little more evenly distributed this time of year.

Met winter just started today. Lol!!

Look, I have no idea how winter will actually turn out this year. All I know is that I thought this is what we would be seeing back in September when I posted my thoughts about winter. La Nina is a powerful force and while things may not line up perfectly to a La nina winter it is pretty darn close for most of the US. Notice how I used the word most again. Not every area of the country is going to see perfect La nina conditions but it's hard to argue that most of the US has not been La Nina like.

Snow in GA in November is NEVER typical.

Back in 93 or 94 we had flurries on Halloween in downtown ATL with a snow advisory up in Rabun county up thru WNC so I think you are showing your age with your "in my lifetime" comment. :)

We have had great storms in "warm" winters (1999,2000) and (2001,2002), we just need to catch a 7-10 period where we get some blocking and hope we get a storm during that period. It seems we have active storms consistently being shown, so we just need the blocking to cooperate. Personally I prefer to have it this way, at least we can save some money on our heating bills enjoy the outdoors and hope we catch lighting in a bottle for a snowstorm.

I was trying to remember just yesterday what the weather was like leading up to the Carolina Crusher of 2000. I don't think that winter was really all that cold. And if it is not going to snow, I'd rather it stay warmer, too. A full week of temps in the 30s with no snow is just miserable and a complete waste of cold air. We have had plenty of that the last two winters. It would be nice to have some decent snows like we did last year, though. We had two in December and one in January around here. This December doesn't look too promising, though.

Thankfully for us Accuweather maps are almost always wrongguitar.gif. It will be interesting to see. The Euro doesn't hold out any hope either. Either way we were spoiled by last winter and I think that early NE snowstorm had people's expectations through the roof. I'll keep watching but don't expect anything till mid Jan.

What's the 8 day euro show? 2 days ago the 10 euro looked promising, at least I thought I read that somewhere in one of these 200 sub forums? lol :wacko:

Snow in GA in November is NEVER typical.

Back in 93 or 94 we had flurries on Halloween in downtown ATL with a snow advisory up in Rabun county up thru WNC so I think you are showing your age with your "in my lifetime" comment. :)

I remember that one as well as November of 2000. We got a quick dusting from an ULL if I remember right. I think that one was around the 17th or so. I've seen a lot of sleet in November too.

It's only the first ten days of Dec.

I'll get back with you the first 10 days of Jan, And see how it's going! Of course you stand alot better chance than I of getting some winter precip. No doubt we'll have some cold shots for a day or two. I doubt there's ever been a winter without a few cold shots? But i'm speaking in general, From all i've read I don't expect much this winter.

I just hope this December isn't as bad as it was in 2007 or god forbid 2004, talk about a blowtorch. arrowheadsmiley.png Dec. 2004 was so depressing it took me out of the holiday spirit with how warm it was, I remember many days ranged from the 60s to the low 80s which really blew my mind. We broke a few records too, well at least the week of Christmas it chilled down in a hurry back into the 30s and 40s.

If memory serves me correctly Every forecast ,and most members, we talking about a blow torch coming in last Jan and we all know how that turned out.Folks winter doesn.t ever start till 21 of this month .

Meteorological winter starts today. :) This is the first day that all winter above or below normal calculations will be based on. Winter has officially started.....at least for every meteorologist.

Archived