• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

Looks good at 162...850's are cold enough but 2m temps look terrible. I'm surprised it wouldn't be colder at the surface.

The 1024 retreats north some, we need it to be stronger and stick around, the first wave that rolls through at 120 acts as a semi block but it's trickling north too.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few inches of snow is possible according to that setup for some folks down east.

Kind of reminds me of that Christmas storm last year. IIRC very similar setup on the models, The Euro of course bombed the hell out of it going up the coast and the GFS had it sheering out but then started catching on with a run like this and it progressively got stronger on the GFS. Probably wishful thinking on my part but it's exciting if it can keep it up.

Kind of reminds me of that Christmas storm last year. IIRC very similar setup on the models, The Euro of course bombed the hell out of it going up the coast and the GFS had it sheering out but then started catching on with a run like this and it progressively got stronger on the GFS. Probably wishful thinking on my part but it's exciting if it can keep it up.

Strangely enough that's what I was thinking while looking through the frames. With a pattern like this, you can't help but think if we can get another setup like the one involved with our Christmas storm. I have some hope for such a scenario but remaining cautious on the matter. Anything goes seems to be the theme with this winter so far what with the wild swings and such (just look at the massive storm the GFS showed during New Years before dropping it a few runs back). Hopefully that will be the theme here as we push toward the second and third week of this month with a system or two on the horizon and not way out past the Day 10 period. I still remain optimistic about our chances being increased for fun and games down the road but right now we need to get through this week first with our cold shot.

240 is a nice rainstorm for most everyone south of the mason dixon.

TW

I know it's tough to read between the panels...and the look at 240 isn't correct...but if there was a storm like it was showing there is cold enough air and thickness to be all snow for many. Hell verbatim much of WNC would be all snow given sfc temps are below freezing...of course that is me speculating what is between the frames.

GFS looks pretty warm in the long range.

Yes, this run builds a huge ridge in the central Pacific which forces a deep western trough, and southeast ridge. That option has always been on the table. It drops a huge very cold airmass into the northern Plains and western States, with the country bisected from SW to NE. I mentioned earlier a while back that where the ridge shows up means everything for longwave placement. Some runs have had it west, some east. Some middle. The point is the GFS still loves the idea of a major ridge somewhere near Alaska, or south or even north of there. Later in the run it moves toward western Alaska and pushes the cold our way.

The key on how this all may play out, and why we're now seeing a storm at day 5 and 6 is possibly the fact the current system developing off the East Coast gets so strong, it turns the flow like a neg. NAO in Greenland , which supresses things temporarily and forces cold air south again, and the southern rockies system to take the low road. It could end up being lucky in perfect timing of events. Who knows. But the offshore system has gotten stronger each run lately....a testament to the very strong , hi amped flow we're in. And if GFS is right the next the first half of January could be a lot colder than the Euro weeklies were showing. Pretty impressive bust, if the GFS is right on all these cold airmasses that keep dropping south.

Even with a perfect 500mb wave and sfc low track, there would still be major cold air concerns given the setup to the north.

True, borderline cold never works out for our areas, but hopefully we can get lucky and that high to our north somehow gets stronger. But like you said we need a storm first.

Archived