Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out in my backyard having a fire in my fire pit. The honey bees were out and about. Unbelievable, I have never seen a honey be in January. I have seen them as early as late February. Again, the squirrels are burying their nuts shallow- snow on the way

The honey bees havent gone away since Early March here, I have seen them almost everyday thats been 46 degrees or higher.

GGEM keeps an active storm pattern. We'll see what the Euro says.

Euro doesn't have the GFS storm at day 6 but keeps temps frigid after the rainstorm. Looks like an east-based -NAO develops by the end of the run, along with a +PNA and a possible 50/50 low coming into place. I'm not gonna stay up for the ensembles, but they should be interesting tomorrow morning.

So what are the 850 temps today? Curious since the area is 60 degrees plus.

The 850 mb temperatures yesterday were around +5C, however earlier in the morning there was a sharp but shallow inversion. At the top of this inversion (near 1,000 feet), the temperature was +15C. This combined with nearly full sunshine most of the day and deeper mixing allowed temperatures to soar into the 60s.

The 850 mb temperatures yesterday were around +5C, however earlier in the morning there was a sharp but shallow inversion. At the top of this inversion (near 1,000 feet), the temperature was +15C. This combined with nearly full sunshine most of the day and deeper mixing allowed temperatures to soar into the 60s.

was the inversion the reason why temps were screwy around dawn Saturday AM? Doylestown was running 40 and MPO was 43 while UKT and ABE were in the mid 20's...I figured the latter two were cold air pooling in the valleys but I haven't been able to pin down a reason on DYL being 15 degrees warmer...

was the inversion the reason why temps were screwy around dawn Saturday AM? Doylestown was running 40 and MPO was 43 while UKT and ABE were in the mid 20's...I figured the latter two were cold air pooling in the valleys but I haven't been able to pin down a reason on DYL being 15 degrees warmer...

I think that was a big reason why, as that low-level inversion was rather sharp. Also, some locations held onto some wind before daybreak. VAY was 45 degrees at one point with some wind while here at the office it was 34 degrees and no wind. I checked some aircraft soundings from PHL a few times during the course of the morning, and as the low-level inversion was eroding the surface temperatures jumped and started to even out. It sure made for a challenging temperature forecast for a time yesterday.

Monarch butterflies reported in some of my friend's gardens yesterday. Must have been the product of a late hatch and chrysalis on the tropical milkweed plants that did not die back until the other morning when it was finally in the teens around here. There were dozens of people on the beach yesterday sunbathing!

Thanks - very interesting and informative.

I think that was a big reason why, as that low-level inversion was rather sharp. Also, some locations held onto some wind before daybreak. VAY was 45 degrees at one point with some wind while here at the office it was 34 degrees and no wind. I checked some aircraft soundings from PHL a few times during the course of the morning, and as the low-level inversion was eroding the surface temperatures jumped and started to even out. It sure made for a challenging temperature forecast for a time yesterday.

Very interesting. I had an early AM flight into PHL yesterday morning. I got into my car(outdoor lot) arounf 9AM. The outside temp was 38. Ten minutes later when I got on th WW bridge it was 52. I thought that it was strange. Reading this it now makes more sense.

The American models are pretty far apart from the other models with tomorrow's light snow threat. Imagine if this was a 6+" storm? The forum would be going crazy with massive weenie suicides.

With low levels starting out above freezing and minimal QPF even on the models which show it... I'm kinda thinking an inch is the most that can be hoped for in most places. That's *NOT* a forecast, mind you ;)

Amazing the different things you see and the mushy ground as well. Next thing you know the groundhogs will be coming out early.

But, will hope for a better end of Jan and Feb. Never liked LaNina winters as they usually result in a cool, wet, and long spring.

The old man winter flag will not be displayed at my house this year. Just doesn't make sense right now.

My wife & I settle on our 1st house in Collegeville on January 27th, and we're tentatively scheduled to move on February 4th. Given my luck, expect tranquil weather for the next 3 weeks, and then an epic blizzard or ice storm on my moving day. :ee:

Congrats on the house. Collegeville is nice area. Been here since 06.'

By the way, the day we moved into our house.....

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/02122006.html

17 inches of snow!!!!

My wife & I settle on our 1st house in Collegeville on January 27th, and we're tentatively scheduled to move on February 4th. Given my luck, expect tranquil weather for the next 3 weeks, and then an epic blizzard or ice storm on my moving day. :ee:

Congrats! Collegeville is a beautiful little town to live in. Many of my relatives live there and my wife's uncle is a sgt. in the police department.

Hey on August 21st 2009 my wife and I made settlement on our house and during settlement we had a good thunderstorm to welcome me to our new home.

Archived