joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES Event

TheWeatherPimp

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Band's moved east. 4.5" storm total. That's the 2nd highest snowfall I've ever recorded from a pure LES event, and the highest total from a pure LES event that didn't involve Lake Ontario.

Seasonal total up to 8.3". 7.3" of which has been LES.

At least now you have a snowcover to look at during this potentially long string of boring days coming up.

At least now you have a snowcover to look at during this potentially long string of boring days coming up.

It's 20:1 stuff so it'll compact easily. Should be a white Christmas technically but unless we get some top up snow in the next 10 days, I'm guessing there'll be a lot of grass tips showing by the 25th.

You won't have that problem though. :)

Accums were definitely ordinary. The winds were what made this event interesting. It is hard to get a sustained N to S flow. We basically need a stalled low over WNY. Moisture seems to be overcoming the dry air on the other lakes so we'll see if the same can happen here overnight with a longer fetch... and less wind speed.

You could see the sunset this evening. Clouds were rapidly clearing over the lake, probably not a good sign for any redevelopment. The wind has scoured my neighborhood to the grass, with the only substantial snow in drifts around objects.

kind of upsetting that i maybe got half an inch from todays snowsqualls but ah well. very tight cut off from this event though. at cawthra rd they had around 2 inches, mississauga rd half inch. and by the time i got to erin mills pwky it was sunny and blue skies with no new snowfall.

I took these pics when there was a little under 2" down. The snow came down even harder a little afterwards but I was on the road and couldn't take any shots.

post-257-0-98728100-1292365090.jpg

post-257-0-04863700-1292365055.jpg

post-257-0-35751200-1292365078.jpg

The pics never do the flake size justice.

kind of upsetting that i maybe got half an inch from todays snowsqualls but ah well. very tight cut off from this event though. at cawthra rd they had around 2 inches, mississauga rd half inch. and by the time i got to erin mills pwky it was sunny and blue skies with no new snowfall.

Yeah, that sucks. NAM BUFKIT did a good job compared to the other coarser models, but it did overdo QPF and was a little too far west with the placement of the band. NE Mississauga did best because that's were the band stalled for a couple of hours. I was down in south Etobicoke (Mimico area) today and they had 10cm/4"+ like myself up here.

Looks like there's a Lk Huron band that could do us damage tomorrow evening. Hopefully it works out better for you. :)

Just like that, we are getting a heavy burst with fairly large flakes falling and visibility down to near a quarter mile, although I'm not sure how long it will last:

Lake effect is clearly expanding, wonder how much more it will as this bit of synoptic moisture evident on the WV works in:

The 23z RUC skew-T valid 02z actually shows fairly high inversions with moisture increasing as the wind backs more towards the west and weakens, wonder if we can try to get a primary band to form later over the western basin and impact Cleveland metro:

The model FWIW does show a fairly good expansion in the snow over the next few hours which is clearly taking place:

I'll believe it when I see it, but CLE might come out the victor here in keeping warnings going if this verifies.

You could see the sunset this evening. Clouds were rapidly clearing over the lake, probably not a good sign for any redevelopment. The wind has scoured my neighborhood to the grass, with the only substantial snow in drifts around objects.

The sunset was beautiful this evening. I happen to be in Lakewood looking east and the buildings in downtown were illuminated by the red setting sun while virga/SHSN were visible in the distant east & southeast.

The air certainly was dry this afternoon. Even here in the snowbelt I saw several breaks in the clouds and the stratocumulus clouds weren't very thick at all.

I don't blame NWS CLE for keeping the warning up. Considering what happened last week I understand them completely. The lake effect can be so unpredictable. Who would have predicted Lake Michigan and Huron would continue to see lake effect snow all day while Lake Erie would break into sunny spells and very dry air?

Saw the first ice today near Edgewater, I'm guessing it extended about 100 ft. offshore, looked like it was just beginning to form.

Just like that, we are getting a heavy burst with fairly large flakes falling and visibility down to near a quarter mile, although I'm not sure how long it will last:

Lake effect is clearly expanding, wonder how much more it will as this bit of synoptic moisture evident on the WV works in:

I'll believe it when I see it, but CLE might come out the victor here in keeping warnings going if this verifies.

Snow is clearly expanding on radar. Goes to show what a little moisture can do. Who knows... maybe a few more inches overnight. You folks in solon have done very well with LES the past couple of years. I'd like to see a 280 band set up for old time sake.

The sunset was beautiful this evening. I happen to be in Lakewood looking east and the buildings in downtown were illuminated by the red setting sun while virga/SHSN were visible in the distant east & southeast.

The air certainly was dry this afternoon. Even here in the snowbelt I saw several breaks in the clouds and the stratocumulus clouds weren't very thick at all.

I don't blame NWS CLE for keeping the warning up. Considering what happened last week I understand them completely. The lake effect can be so unpredictable. Who would have predicted Lake Michigan and Huron would continue to see lake effect snow all day while Lake Erie would break into sunny spells and very dry air?

Saw the first ice today near Edgewater, I'm guessing it extended about 100 ft. offshore, looked like it was just beginning to form.

LES is truly unpredictable. If there is one necessary parameter it is moisture which was evident today. Speaking of ice... the visible satellite shows that the western basin is probably 50% ice covered. Amazing for so early in the season. I'm going to petition the state to dredge that part of the lake to depths of 50 feet at least. good thing the winds have stayed up or it might be a flat sheet of ice.

Looks like a nice band of LES across parts of NE Ohio now. YNG has been reporting moderate snow for over three hours -- could see several inches of additional accumulation on top of the record-breaking 40.4"+ that has fallen the first 14 days.

Band's moved east. 4.5" storm total. That's the 2nd highest snowfall I've ever recorded from a pure LES event, and the highest total from a pure LES event that didn't involve Lake Ontario.

Seasonal total up to 8.3". 7.3" of which has been LES.

Congrats on the LES :snowman:

I've picked up 1/3 of a cm of new snow today from the LES. Big money, big money! :thumbsup:

Looks like Lucan just to the norht of London got blitzed again.

9 inches in 2 hrs last night.

That might be right as the local radar was showing the squalls near Lucan around 40 dbz for a time around 9 pm.

That should give Lucan over 80 inches since Dec. 5 - impressive!!

Locally the city got around a foot, but it looks like things calm down for a bit.

AWCN11 CWTO 151026Weather summary for all of Southern Ontario andThe national Capital regionIssued by Environment Canada Toronto at 5:16 AM EST Wednesday 15December 2010.Significant lake effect snowfall reports.-------------------------------------------------------------==weather event discussion==Lake effect snow squalls driven by very cold strong northwest winds off Lake Huron and Georgian Bay continue to give significant amounts of snow to regions to the lee of the lakes.Accurate snowfall amounts are extremely difficult to measure given the degree of drifting snow. But a few observations from either trained volunteer weather observers or general public reports give a impression of the snowfall accumulations since Sunday. Note: most of these reports include the general snowfall associated with the disturbance that gave the snow on Sunday into Sunday night as wellAs the squalls (except for Petrolia, London and lucan which areOnly squall amounts).-------------------------------------------------------------Location snowfall amounts (cm)New Glasgow (between Chatham and London) 46 (as of 5PM Tuesday) Grand Bend 50 (public report as of 7PM Tuesday)Petrolia (se of Sarnia) 32 (from Monday morning To 7PM Tuesday) balaclava (ne of Owen Sound) 60 (as of 7PM Tuesday) London airport 28 (since Tuesday evening) lucan (nw of London) 22 (fell in 2 hours Tuesday evening)Please note that this summary contains the observations at the time of broadcast and does not constitute an official and final report of the weather events or the high impact events attributed to the weather events.END/OSPC

WOCN11 CWTO 150014Special weather statementIssued by Environment Canada Ontario region. 7:14 PM EST Tuesday14 December 2010.Special weather statement ended for..City of TorontoNiagaraYork - Durham.This statement has ended.Listen for further statements. Additional information may also be found by consulting the latest public forecast. The next public forecast will be issued by 5 AM.END/OSPC

Date Modified: 2010-12-07 tphp.gif

Top of PageImportant Notices

Looks like Lucan just to the norht of London got blitzed again.

9 inches in 2 hrs last night.

That might be right as the local radar was showing the squalls near Lucan around 40 dbz for a time around 9 pm.

That should give Lucan over 80 inches since Dec. 5 - impressive!!

Locally the city got around a foot, but it looks like things calm down for a bit.

AWCN11 CWTO 151026Weather summary for all of Southern Ontario andThe national Capital regionIssued by Environment Canada Toronto at 5:16 AM EST Wednesday 15December 2010.Significant lake effect snowfall reports.-------------------------------------------------------------==weather event discussion==Lake effect snow squalls driven by very cold strong northwest winds off Lake Huron and Georgian Bay continue to give significant amounts of snow to regions to the lee of the lakes.Accurate snowfall amounts are extremely difficult to measure given the degree of drifting snow. But a few observations from either trained volunteer weather observers or general public reports give a impression of the snowfall accumulations since Sunday. Note: most of these reports include the general snowfall associated with the disturbance that gave the snow on Sunday into Sunday night as wellAs the squalls (except for Petrolia, London and lucan which areOnly squall amounts).-------------------------------------------------------------Location snowfall amounts (cm)New Glasgow (between Chatham and London) 46 (as of 5PM Tuesday) Grand Bend 50 (public report as of 7PM Tuesday)Petrolia (se of Sarnia) 32 (from Monday morning To 7PM Tuesday) balaclava (ne of Owen Sound) 60 (as of 7PM Tuesday) London airport 28 (since Tuesday evening) lucan (nw of London) 22 (fell in 2 hours Tuesday evening)Please note that this summary contains the observations at the time of broadcast and does not constitute an official and final report of the weather events or the high impact events attributed to the weather events.END/OSPC

WOCN11 CWTO 150014Special weather statementIssued by Environment Canada Ontario region. 7:14 PM EST Tuesday14 December 2010.Special weather statement ended for..City of TorontoNiagaraYork - Durham.This statement has ended.Listen for further statements. Additional information may also be found by consulting the latest public forecast. The next public forecast will be issued by 5 AM.END/OSPC

Date Modified: 2010-12-07 tphp.gif

Top of PageImportant Notices

9" in 2 hours is beyond unreal.

wrf_precip36_F36.gif

Shows 0.20-0.30" into the city. Southern Bruce County gets demolished. Looks like there's actually convergence between two discrete bands, which can increase snowfall rates where the two bands merge. Still think 1-3" is good because of the transient nature of the band, but like yesterday, locally 4"+ might be possible.

wrf_precip36_F36.gif

Shows 0.20-0.30" into the city. Southern Bruce County gets demolished. Looks like there's actually convergence between two discrete bands, which can increase snowfall rates where the two bands merge. Still think 1-3" is good because of the transient nature of the band, but like yesterday, locally 4"+ might be possible.

Mississauga looks good??

The heaviest amounts are north of you because the WRF stalls the band for a couple of hours tomorrow morning before it drifts back south again. Anything's possible, but you might see slightly lower accumulations than I'm calling for Toronto.

Im truly moving to the snowbelt when im older. I cant take this any more missing outr on snow. All that snow in london is making me soooooooo jealous :angry:

Im truly moving to the snowbelt when im older. I cant take this any more missing outr on snow. All that snow in london is making me soooooooo jealous :angry:

lol, the band's really hauling ass. It'll sink back south but hopefully it won't take too long. Otherwise, the heavier amounts will be north of both of us, and we'll have to be content with a coating.

lol, the band's really hauling ass. It'll sink back south but hopefully it won't take too long. Otherwise, the heavier amounts will be north of both of us, and we'll have to be content with a coating.

It was really coming down here for about 30mins accumulated to a cm. I sure hope that band does sink back towards the south or ECs forecast of 5cm wont verify.

Got a quick coating in the downtown core. Radar is currently showing best returns out in East York and parts of western Scarborough.

Newest NAM now keeps it north overnight, and doesn't sink the remnants back south until later tomorrow afternoon (in a weakened form). Oh well. Can't complain after yesterday's event.

Any chance this baby comes back south into mississauga?

In the last 20 minutes the band has slowed to a crawl and there's some backbuilding of returns on the south side of the band, but I think you're too far S & W to reap any benefits from this. I'm still getting some pretty steady -SN here.

0.6" as of midnight. Still snowing lightly.

Archived