Newest Member
    joxey
0Z Guidance Discussion 12/10/2010

Dr No

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at 72 hrs. we're around 40-42 at the surface per the map posted above

Yep, it looks increasingly like the boundary layer temps might kill our chances for seeing flakes unless they are super sloppy ones. It now doesn't even look like the western suburbs will see any freezing rain at onset because the precipitation is so cloesly associated with the front that it gets in too late.

How come?

Because its terrible when realizing when the air has squeezed out all the moisture it can handle...In my opinion I dont see really any accumulating back end snows in the cards with this system as when temps go below freezing most of the moisture will likely be out of the picture when Central MD is concerned.

Because its terrible when realizing when the air has squeezed out all the moisture it can handle...In my opinion I dont see really any accumulating back end snows in the cards with this system as when temps go below freezing most of the moisture will likely be out of the picture when Central MD is concerned.

They do happen with setups like this if there is a lot of anergy at the base of the troff and the first low is week. However they are very difficult to predict until 48hrs out and they are rarely more than a couple inches, and the rapid freeze can cause hell on the roads. like 3/8/2005.

What I am amazed by what this is showing for the kpit area. Both the gfs and nam show a 4-8 type event and I don't ever remember a time whee a primary took this track and there was a decent storm...

Just a really weird set up IMO.

I dont think its that wierd...the secondary takes over just in time to give you guys a decent event, plus southwest winds arent enough to warm you guys all that much..youll get decent snowfall there..plus some lake effect making in down to you later in the week probably..I think Pitt may have a decent winter this year..95 corridor, not so much..Interior winter.

What I am amazed by what this is showing for the kpit area. Both the gfs and nam show a 4-8 type event and I don't ever remember a time whee a primary took this track and there was a decent storm...

Just a really weird set up IMO.

It's a really convoluted pattern. Its fun to watch play out though... Part of me still believes we could get a better solution for the EC even if it is not likely.

They do happen with setups like this if there is a lot of anergy at the base of the troff and the first low is week. However they are very difficult to predict until 48hrs out and they are rarely more than a couple inches, and the rapid freeze can cause hell on the roads. like 3/8/2005.

Yes I agree with the rapid freezes..I think with wet roadways, and dropping temps, roads could become somwhat dicey monday, but Im sorry I dont trust the back end snows..Ive been living here in Baltimore all My life and I can probably count on one hand how many times we have received accumulating back end snows.

Yes I agree with the rapid freezes..I think with wet roadways, and dropping temps, roads could become somwhat dicey monday, but Im sorry I dont trust the back end snows..Ive been living here in Baltimore all My life and I can probably count on one hand how many times we have received accumulating back end snows.

No probably not for us

I dont think its that wierd...the secondary takes over just in time to give you guys a decent event, plus southwest winds arent enough to warm you guys all that much..youll get decent snowfall there..plus some lake effect making in down to you later in the week probably..I think Pitt may have a decent winter this year..95 corridor, not so much..Interior winter.

seconday formation isnt that weird but this setup is not very common i dont think.. i can't recall seeing much similar though i've probably only been paying close attention a few yrs and may have selective memory. the path of the 500 energy and intensity of the trough is pretty crazy.

seconday formation isnt that weird but this setup is not very common i dont think.. i can't recall seeing much similar though i've probably only been paying close attention a few yrs and may have selective memory. the path of the 500 energy and intensity of the trough is pretty crazy.

Ill admit its a bit odd to see a possible primary near Detroit and a secondary near VA Beach or Richmond, But its a La Nina winter..Anything goes. lol

I don't think Ive ever seen it on models. Not saying it hasn't been there, but I just don't remember a set up like this and how models are literally hundreds of miles apart and shifting wildly every other run.

I don't think Ive ever seen it on models. Not saying it hasn't been there, but I just don't remember a set up like this and how models are literally hundreds of miles apart and shifting wildly every other run.

I agree. Crazy changes every 6 hours. The Euro has held its ground for the past few runs. But who knows if its right. I would hate to be a Met for western PA. Tough to make a forecast for that area.

it seems the models have trouble figuring out which part of the vorticity to key in on. you've got like 4-6 really intense vorts in a string.

0z NAM had CLOSED 500h vort in C MN... 0z GFS has the 500h vort OPEN in N IA...-- this is at 42 hrs btw when looking at both models side by side

))z show more space between the northern vortmaxand the southern vortmax compared to 18z. Think there will be a stronger post frontal wave on this run. It just may happen further west.

One thing for sure...it looks like MSP is going to get rocked with a decent snowstorm.

Don't forget central Wisconsin! I find it unbelievable that yesterday afternoon, they had no concern at all in this storm and now they are the center of accumulation for the primary.

One thing for sure...it looks like MSP is going to get rocked with a decent snowstorm.

the high and low are even closer together this run in that region.. blizz. this run looks colder a little thru 54.

Archived