joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0Z Guidance Discussion 12/10/2010

Dr No

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of us know we're not gonna get snow from this. The thing that keeps me interested is the uncertainty...there's a new solution every 6 hours with this thing. I think those in MSP and close by can relax and enjoy, but a lot of folks in the interior are probably on pins and needles with this thing.

They are an issue but verbatim, the GFS does give us back end snows here in Maryland at hour 72

72 hours is previous 6 hours (the precip u see has already fallen).. There is NO precip left after hour 72. You are misreading the maps. Anything after hour 72 would be snow, but there is nothing left.

so LEK, which one do you buy? if either...and why

Well...it's not an either or. Generally, we have a "tighter" energy packet within a stream, that consolidates upon amplification....In this case, it would appear that we will have a diffuse vorticity advection channel, with maxima within...throw in the variance the models depict the PV and it's configuration, and you still have a large spread.

I'd go with something a blend at this point of the UK, GFS and Euro.....Primary to about L. Erie, then a transfer somewhere between HSE and Delmarva....cutting up around ALB, with weak to modest strengthening up to BTV.

72 hours is previous 6 hours (the precip u see has already fallen).. There is NO precip left after hour 72. You are misreading the maps. Anything after hour 72 would be snow, but there is nothing left.

Im not saying its much, but im looking at it correctly, look...

Precip at 72

gfs072hr_sfc_prcp.gif

Precip type at 72

gfs072hr_sfc_ptyp.gif

Even ifthe precip isnt left at 72 you can clearly see the snow line is all the way to the coast at 72 so I suspect there is at least a LITTLE snow before 72, not saying it would accumulate but there would probably be some flakes.

The gfs is trying to create some sort of overrunning event at Day 7 but the shortwave gets shredded. Not going to get anything with that annoying GOA low literally just spinning around for days on end. The Atlantic is looking great as always while the Pacific looks like a steaming pile of you-know-what.

GFS is showing freezing rain in VA from that weak wave

Well...it's not an either or. Generally, we have a "tighter" energy packet within a stream, that consolidates upon amplification....In this case, it would appear that we will have a diffuse vorticity advection channel, with maxima within...throw in the variance the models depict the PV and it's configuration, and you still have a large spread.

I'd go with something a blend at this point of the UK, GFS and Euro.....Primary to about L. Erie, then a transfer somewhere between HSE and Delmarva....cutting up around ALB, with weak to modest strengthening up to BTV.

damn, I was hopin you'd be all over the ukie...lol

thnx

This is what falls between 69 and 72 which is when it gets cold enough. On the frame before only west of DC seems to get in on any frozen qpf and even that is borderline. This is just concerning the big cities of course.f72.gif

GFS gets rid of the GOA Low toward end of the run but takes another cutter to do it

It would be almost impossible for a storm to cut in what the gfs depicts in the long range due to the massive block and strong high pressure over southeastern Canada. Either the low self destructs or it transfers to a secondary further east. Not like it matters but just don't believe everything the model tells you. Just because it shows a cutter, doesn't mean it would be a cutter in reality or vice versa with a coastal storm (if it ever shows one of those in the long range).

It would be almost impossible for a storm to cut in what the gfs depicts in the long range due to the massive block and strong high pressure over southeastern Canada. Either the low self destructs or it transfers to a secondary further east. Not like it matters but just don't believe everything the model tells you. Just because it shows a cutter, doesn't mean it would be a cutter in reality or vice versa with a coastal storm (if it ever shows one of those in the long range).

plus it has a really funny evolution where it cuts so far west we barely warm up or see any precip until the cold front passes and we warm briefly. Also it sets up a nicer pattern in which there looks to be some reloaded cold air and s/w energy streaming across the SW. Yes were doing model analysis 324 hrs out lol but theres always another threat...

KIPT GFSX MOS GUIDANCE 12/10/2010 0000 UTC

FHR 24| 36 48| 60 72| 84 96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192

FRI 10| SAT 11| SUN 12| MON 13| TUE 14| WED 15| THU 16| FRI 17 CLIMO

X/N 32| 20 34| 30 38| 21 30| 17 26| 17 29| 20 36| 25 36 22 37

This is as good as it gets next week? High of 26 is the coldest we can muster next week?:thumbsdown:

I have a question , just trying to figure this out, .Why is it that the GFS snowmap has most of Ohio in 4 to 6 inches of snow with a storm track that goes from Wi to Mi and northeast. I know usually with that type of track ,locations west of the mountains like the Ohio Valley gets flooded with warmth ahead of the system. Just something not typically seen at least not that I can recall CONUS_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gifwatching

Im not saying its much, but im looking at it correctly, look...

Precip at 72

Precip type at 72

Even ifthe precip isnt left at 72 you can clearly see the snow line is all the way to the coast at 72 so I suspect there is at least a LITTLE snow before 72, not saying it would accumulate but there would probably be some flakes.

850s crash quick but the surface lags a few hours it seems on the maps. there could be a period of mangled flakes or fat juicy raindrops that must have been snow 100 feet above.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/images/gfs_ten_072m.gif

looks like the precip ends before the freezing or near freezing air arrives

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/images/gfs_700_072m.gif

I have a question , just trying to figure this out, .Why is it that the GFS snowmap has most of Ohio in 4 to 6 inches of snow with a storm track that goes from Wi to Mi and northeast. I know usually with that type of track ,locations west of the mountains like the Ohio Valley gets flooded with warmth ahead of the system. Just something not typically seen at least not that I can recall

Most of that is LE snow after the storm has passed. There are like 10 frames of .01 for OH.. and you are using the 120 hr total.

Archived