Newest Member
    Toothache
How Important is December Snowfall?

CT Rain

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partially to rile people up and partially out of curiosity I took a look a look at previous Decembers with less than 6" of snow and less than 1" of snow at BDL. With our luck this is where we're heading.

6" or Less in December

- Happened 37/93 Winters

- Of those winters 7/37 had above normal seasonal snowfall

- Of the 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 32.7"

1" or Less in December

- Happened 10/93 Winters

- Of those winters none had above normal seasonal snowfall

- Of those 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 24.4"

What's remarkable is that the average snowfall for December is 8.4" at BDL so 6" or less for the month at BDL probably says just as much about the overall winter pattern as it does about just having a crappy month.

So for all the posts that say, "don't worry... it's only December 10th" when the next 7 days don't look all that great... there actually is something to worry about if we can't get some snow in here over the next 3 weeks!

A post like this will be coming soon, geez on the angst in here. Every year same ole same ole. Messenger trolling Pete about ski area snow is also vintage, look back at last years posts. The more things change the more they stay the same.

All it takes is one good storm to turn everything around.

And BDL already has 12.3" on the season anyway ;)

There is no way to correlate pre Oct snow with the following winter in BDL because it never snowed in BDL more than an inch, amazed still. Things turn on a dime, even as late as Dec 20th last year winter was over according to the usual suspects.

There is no way to correlate pre Oct snow with the following winter in BDL because it never snowed in BDL more than an inch, amazed still. Things turn on a dime, even as late as Dec 20th last year winter was over according to the usual suspects.

Well, ORH shattered their Oct snow record... 7.9"

Guess what year?!?

lol jk jk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eePRkP1HMYQ

I'm fine... I still think a little below avg. But that does not include October

Sort if like dropping highest and lowest test scores

What us 6 weeks from Oct 29? December 10.

Shuffle em up

Just wish it was cold enough for snowmaking

I was at the Wachusett over the weekend, very depressing to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Partially to rile people up and partially out of curiosity I took a look a look at previous Decembers with less than 6" of snow and less than 1" of snow at BDL. With our luck this is where we're heading.

6" or Less in December

- Happened 37/93 Winters

- Of those winters 7/37 had above normal seasonal snowfall

- Of the 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 32.7"

1" or Less in December

- Happened 10/93 Winters

- Of those winters none had above normal seasonal snowfall

- Of those 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 24.4"

What's remarkable is that the average snowfall for December is 8.4" at BDL so 6" or less for the month at BDL probably says just as much about the overall winter pattern as it does about just having a crappy month.

So for all the posts that say, "don't worry... it's only December 10th" when the next 7 days don't look all that great... there actually is something to worry about if we can't get some snow in here over the next 3 weeks!

Bump this mutha

ouch

December snowfall is fairly important in my region.

My avg December snowfall is about 14".

Alot of past snowy Winters featured fairly amazing December snows.

For example, I got about 34" back in December 08 and 28" in December 07 whereas other years like Dec 06 where I only got a mere 2" or 4" in Dec 01. So there were some sh!tty months in there but some of my top snowiest Winters like 64-65, 59-60, 38-39 didnt really get started till January-April so lets see.

But December snowfall up here in SONT has decent significance esp. LES. In fact thanks to the LES last December I managed to get 7-10" last December depsite no snowstorm. So far no LES outbreaks this month, stupid f-ing pattern sucks.

Many regions surrounding me got buried in 60-120" last Decemebr alone thanks to da LES LOL.

December snowfall is fairly important in my region.

My avg December snowfall is about 14".

Alot of past snowy Winters featured fairly amazing December snows.

For example, I got about 34" back in December 08 and 28" in December 07 whereas other years like Dec 06 where I only got a mere 2" or 4" in Dec 01. So there were some sh!tty months in there but some of my top snowiest Winters like 64-65, 59-60, 38-39 didnt really get started till January-April so lets see.

But December snowfall up here in SONT has decent significance esp. LES. In fact thanks to the LES last December I managed to get 7-10" last December depsite no snowstorm. So far no LES outbreaks this month, stupid f-ing pattern sucks.

Many regions surrounding me got buried in 60-120" last Decemebr alone thanks to da LES LOL.

Yet LES seems certain this weekend

Yet LES seems certain this weekend

Very Weak/small LES outbreak possible this weekend but the Wind configuration and temps dont support a major LES outbreak. I mean SKI resorts haven't even opened yet, how sad. I think they didnt open till mid Jan back in 06-07. running behind schedule this year.

Very Weak/small LES outbreak possible this weekend but the Wind configuration and temps dont support a major LES outbreak. I mean SKI resorts haven't even opened yet, how sad. I think they didnt open till mid Jan back in 06-07. running behind schedule this year.

Guess you are in the wrong spot

LOOK FOR MORE ACTIVE WEATHER TO DEVELOP ACROSS WESTERN NEW YORK ON

SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT AS ANOTHER POTENT SHORTWAVE DROPS

ACROSS WESTERN CANADA AND INTO THE GREAT LAKES. THIS HAS THE

POTENTIAL TO BE A SIGNIFICANT HYBRID SYNOPTIC-LAKE EFFECT EVENT AS

WESTERLY FLOW OFF THE LAKE WITH 850MB TEMPS AROUND -12C COULD

ENHANCE THE ABUNDANT SYNOPTIC LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SHORTWAVE AND

THE FORECAST AREA/S LOCATION UNDERNEATH THE LEFT EXIT REGION OF A

JET STREAK DIVING OUT OF CANADA. AT THIS TIME MODEL AGREEMENT IS

SURPRISINGLY GOOD REGARDING THIS SCENARIO AND AS A RESULT WILL BUMP

POPS UP TO HIGH CHANCE...BUT I DO NOT WANT TO GO TOO CRAZY AT THIS

POINT GIVEN THAT THIS IS STILL FAR ENOUGH OUT THAT MINOR DETAILS

COULD HAVE A BIG EFFECT ON ALL IMPORTANT DETAILS. EITHER WAY...IT

APPEARS THAT TEMPERATURES WILL RUN SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL WITH

HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 30S TO 20S ACROSS THE TUG HILL SATURDAY WITH

LOWS IN THE LOW TO MID 20S SATURDAY NIGHT.

&&

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

SUNDAY WILL FEATURE A WINDING DOWN OF SATURDAY/S POTENTIAL SNOW

EVENT AS WARMER AIR ADVECTS INTO THE REGION AS WINDS BACK TO THE

SOUTH/SOUTHWEST IN RETURN FLOW AROUND HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING OVER

Archived