joxey
Fall Pics

Local Yokel Wx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC High Country Fall Leaf Color Picture of the Day

Friday 30SEP11

The color is turning fast above 4,000 feet — but this photograph by Helen Moss Davis of the peaks of Grandfather from MacRae Meadows shows that there are plenty of trees waiting to turn. That is a good thing, because temperatures are falling, the wind is blowing and snow is in the forecast for Saturday.

The best to find color right now is at the intersection of NC 105 and NC 184 at Tynecastle and on the Blue Ridge Parkway as it crosses Grandfather Mountain between Beacon Heights (MP 305) and Blowing Rock. Other high elevations to look for great color will be Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain. Bundle up if you are going to the “Autumn at Oz” party at Beech Mountain this weekend!

Commentary and photograph courtesy of Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation

gfm30sep11.jpg

Sometimes i wish i lived elsewhere (mainly where I could get some more snow) but then fall comes around in McDowell County and i realize I live in one of the most beautiful places around .... took a trip to mt mitchell... I will gladly upload more later on

308285_301327769884813_100000227784168_1506201_160746186_n.jpg

308797_301328319884758_100000227784168_1506214_915205454_n.jpg

NC High Country Fall Leaf Color Picture of the Day

Monday 10OCT11

Some of the pros say the color, particularly the reds, are the best this year in quite some time. They rate this season an 8 on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being best.

Photo courtesy of Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation

Spectacular photo!

People, if there is any way possible, come up to the mountains THIS weekend. This is one of the best leaf seasons that I've seen in years. Even on a day like today with the clouds and rain it's spectacular. Load up the family, pack a picnic, and hit the road. You know you could use a day like that so just do it !!:)

These were on a trail to a waterfall in the Smoky Mountains. The brilliant trees made it feel like a wonderland.

post-2545-0-26281300-1318385982.jpg

post-2545-0-28943100-1318386064.jpg

Our distance landscapes look similar to those already posted from NC; similar bright color, but awesome landscapes already posted by others.

As for wildlife, we had this company.

post-2545-0-29824400-1318386191.jpg

That felt like seeing a tornado. It was exciting but required respect for nature.

With early reports on the NC leaves being quite colorful, I do think that this at least somewhat supports the idea that that I've mentioned in the past that there is little, if any, correlation between preceding multimonthly rainfall and color brightness. Moreover, based on following and documenting Atlanta leaves over the last few years, I believe that there may actually be a somewhat negative correlation between SEP/OCT rainfall and brightness. Also, getting an early peak in Atlanta seems to be somewhat correlated with early fall chilly weather. A warm fall seems to lead to a relatively late peak.

People, if there is any way possible, come up to the mountains THIS weekend. This is one of the best leaf seasons that I've seen in years. Even on a day like today with the clouds and rain it's spectacular. Load up the family, pack a picnic, and hit the road. You know you could use a day like that so just do it !!:)

Me and the fiance are getting in the car on Sunday morning and heading up to the mountains. Our destination is not yet set but I'm leaning towards Asheville then finding a good mountain to drive to from there...

Does anyone have a good suggestion for us while traveling from Atlanta? We are open to about anything but obviously want to keep the drive reasonable because this will be in essence a daytrip.

Me and the fiance are getting in the car on Sunday morning and heading up to the mountains. Our destination is not yet set but I'm leaning towards Asheville then finding a good mountain to drive to from there...

Does anyone have a good suggestion for us while traveling from Atlanta? We are open to about anything but obviously want to keep the drive reasonable because this will be in essence a daytrip.

IMHO...this would be the ultimate route to take....ATL to Franklin NC to Sylva NC to Waynesville NC.....then hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway and take that the rest of the way to Asheville. The parkway from Waynesville to Asheville goes up over 6,000 ft in elevation (highest road in eastern US) and also past Mt. Pisgah before it decends back down to Asheville. The link below has the whole route mapped out.

http://g.co/maps/7gvrn

IMHO...this would be the ultimate route to take....ATL to Franklin NC to Sylva NC to Waynesville NC.....then hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway and take that the rest of the way to Asheville. The parkway from Waynesville to Asheville goes up over 6,000 ft in elevation (highest road in eastern US) and also past Mt. Pisgah before it decends back down to Asheville. The link below has the whole route mapped out.

Thanks a bunch!! Talking with the fiance now about it, this route looks very nice and the description sounds like it would be amazing!! Thanks again! Hopefully I have some amazing pictures to post come Monday!!

That is an EXCELLENT route!guitar.gif You beat me to it, Moto.

Depends on how many stops you make for sightseeing. Straight through it would take approximately 4:00-4:15. I too have done this drive numerous times.

I agree with AcworthWx. Just get up early and head out. It's an awesome drive with the best views you will find down here in the south. What could be better than traveling along the highest road east of the Mississippi along the spine of the apps? I have "day tripped" this drive probably 3 times from the Atlanta area. I would recommend taking the route on the way there and then just come back on I-40 from Asheville so you don't have to drive the 45 mile stretch on the Blue Ridge Parkway again...unless you just want to.

Halloween weekend was about a week past peak last year around here, southeast Tenn. This year is not going any slower. Any way to cancel plans? It is like storm chasing; nature comes first and friends/family will be there when you get back. If it is work, maybe trade shifts? Next two weekends would be much better. Just adjust elevation down with time. Halloween might be peak in the valleys but they just don't have the bright color of the mountains even part way up. Good luck and drive safe to everyone!

Wow, looks great! Is it not worth it to come up to the mountains on Halloween wknd for the fall colors? I don't think I can make it up there til then. The colors are already starting to pop down here in the Triangle.

I agree with AcworthWx. Just get up early and head out. It's an awesome drive with the best views you will find down here in the south. What could be better than traveling along the highest road east of the Mississippi along the spine of the apps? I have "day tripped" this drive probably 3 times from the Atlanta area. I would recommend taking the route on the way there and then just come back on I-40 from Asheville so you don't have to drive the 45 mile stretch on the Blue Ridge Parkway again...unless you just want to.

We are leaving for our trip in about an hour or two! We decided to make a weekend out of this trip and will be staying in Asheville for the night tonight and driving back Sunday! This is looking like it will be tons of fun. We are taking the exact route that you recommended to us. Thanks a bunch I look forward to posting some amazing pictures once I return!

Archived