• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extratropical Depression Lee

Two runs in a row of the NAM have rotated Lee back down pretty far into the GOM- this seems extreme and it is the NAM but this does show Lee may have a few tricks up its sleeve and this scrape by the coast now may not be the real landfall which may wait another day or two? This still a hard to forecast system....

Most of the 12Z hurricane models still have it going NE though. How interesting would this be if NAM beats em all. (considering how well it's beaten the others during the last couple winters / for winter storms)

at201113_model_zoom.gif

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I

P.S. the 12Z nam looks to be on crack moving the low west and then east and still having it off the coast at 42 hrs or so. good luck with that.

Wow, the NAM *better* be on crack or a lot of folks will have a lot of egg to wipe off their faces- it stalls Lee way down in the GOM and strengthens it- LOL (I hope)

After a quick initial look...the NAM looks like a solution where the mid level center may continue to move northeast while the low levels gets stuck in the Marshes and drifts back out in the water...seems to me like we have had Gulf Storms do that in the past, for some reason Ivan (2004) pops into my mind?

Wow, the NAM *better* be on crack or a lot of folks will have a lot of egg to wipe off their faces- it stalls Lee way down in the GOM and strengthens it- LOL (I hope)

I'll certainly be one of them. lol but have had egg all over me before so it won't be a new experience. It's hard for me to see the westward jog. I think it more likely that the secondary low that it develops in AL is really going to be lee. Still, my thinking may be too linear. The nam certainly looks to be the low probability solution but that doesn't completely rule it out.

Lee has stalled, pressure down a couple mb.

SUMMARY OF 100 PM CDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...29.3N 91.8W

ABOUT 45 MI...75 KM SW OF MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA

ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM S OF LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...991 MB...29.26 INCHES

GFS and other guidance put the NAM scenario to rest- will probably stay put for 24 hours or so then go ENE or NE. This is probably its max intensity. Once it goes east, there could be a fair number of tornadoes.

Not sure about that, I don't think NHC expected Lee to stall out already.

If we can't get forecasts right for 12 hours, we could forget about 2 days in advance.

GFS was trending towards the NAM as well at 12z. ( more southward with both Lee and Katia )

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)

Transmitted: 3rd day of the month at 17:56Z

Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 307)

Storm Number & Year: 13L in 2011

Storm Name: Lee (flight in the North Atlantic basin)

Mission Number: 5 seeall.png

Observation Number: 15

A. Time of Center Fix: 3rd day of the month at 17:40:30Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 29°15'N 92°29'W (29.25N 92.4833W) viewmap.png

B. Center Fix Location: 72 miles (116 km) to the SSW (202°) from Lafayette, LA, USA.

C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,343m (4,406ft) at 850mb

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 42kts (~ 48.3mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 44 nautical miles (51 statute miles) to the ESE (115°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 205° at 41kts (From the SSW at ~ 47.2mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 57 nautical miles (66 statute miles) to the ESE (113°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 990mb (29.23 inHg)

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 18°C (64°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,523m (4,997ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 23°C (73°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,527m (5,010ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp & Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

L. Eye Character: Not Available

M. Eye Shape: Not Available

N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Wind, Pressure and Temperature

N. Fix Level: 850mb

O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles

O. Meteorological Accuracy: 2 nautical miles

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 41kts (~ 47.2mph) in the southeast quadrant at 17:07:50Z

More fair weather cu, I can see the edge of the denser cirrus shield almost to my neighborhood, and enough of a breeze the taller palms in the neighborhood, not bendy, but all the fronds blown to one side.

I can claim Lee, along with the final landfall of Ivan, if I ever do an "I survived" signature.

More fair weather cu, I can see the edge of the denser cirrus shield almost to my neighborhood, and enough of a breeze the taller palms in the neighborhood, not bendy, but all the fronds blown to one side.

I can claim Lee, along with the final landfall of Ivan, if I ever do an "I survived" signature.

So, you survived Lee's subsidence zone. Interesting ...

More to the thread, I note K***'s post. Am I to gather from the flight info that Lee is re-centering S&W of the NHC position??

This is the least warm-core-looking purely tropical storm I think I've ever seen. Looks very much like a strong extratropical cyclone. Compare it to this one:

post-300-0-26391300-1315076853.png

post-300-0-93297400-1315076813.jpg

Of course, that's just an illusion. Shear and dry air are preventing Lee from gaining the symmetry we all know and love in tropical systems.

This is the least warm-core-looking purely tropical storm I think I've ever seen. Looks very much like a strong extratropical cyclone. Compare it to this one:

post-300-0-26391300-1315076853.png

post-300-0-93297400-1315076813.jpg

Of course, that's just an illusion. Shear and dry air are preventing Lee from gaining the symmetry we all know and love in tropical systems.

All it needs is the cold air strato-cu.

Well, I've actually survived Katrina, Rita, Gustav, Ike, Hermine, and probably at least 10 others by your standards. The first 5 were actuals.

I have had no weather of interest at my house in over a year. No, freezing drizzle in February. OK, almost no weather at my house in over a year. I take what I can get.

LCH_loop.gif

Active tornado warnings.

Not exactly one to weaken quickly over land

INIT 03/2100Z 29.4N 92.1W 50 KT 60 MPH

12H 04/0600Z 29.8N 91.9W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND

24H 04/1800Z 30.2N 91.5W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND

36H 05/0600Z 30.5N 91.1W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND

48H 05/1800Z 31.2N 89.9W 40 KT 45 MPH...INLAND

72H 06/1800Z 33.0N 87.2W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND

96H 07/1800Z 34.5N 85.2W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

120H 08/1800Z 37.0N 83.0W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

Archived