• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible earthquake?

snowlurker

I have a serious Ray Martin syndrome right now. I leave, we have a severe t storm, an earthquake, and now Irene is set to destroy NYC. But that's fine, I'm enjoying my heavy drizzle in Indiana gun_bandana.gif

seriously though my dad reports no cell service in NYC, 911 call center overwhelmed

Yeah seems like if you were standing or doing any kind of moving you didnt feel it. I was working so i didn't feel it kinda sad I missed it.

Also on another point if this is the kind of panic a weak earthquake causes lets hope we never get anything stronger. Yes its strong for this part of the world but relatively speaking it was weak. I get the concern.....i don't get the panic. If that makes sense.

I've read a few examples in different posts today of earthquakes that occur around the time of a major storm (1993) or a hurricane (1944, 1992, 2011(?)) is impacting the EC. Does anyone have a view on some possible cause/effect scenario between the two closely timed events or are these pure coincidence?

Sorry - haven't posted in a while.

I lived in San Francisco for 31 years. Including when Loma Prieta hit in 1989.

Even where I live now just outside Princeton NJ, today's quake was a respectable one.

When it started, I of course knew, but doubted, because "it can't happen here"

They can sneer at us in the West Coast, but they hang out in safer buildings, as a rule.

Where's the fun in that?

• 1 year later...

LOL...me too! Especially when I looked at post #1 and it saw August 23rd. Then I realized that it was from last year. Anyway, I remember it well. I was running a tri-axle dump truck at the time and I was parked along the road in Blue Bell waiting my turn to dump a load of soil when it hit. After initially thinking someone bumped my truck, or was messing around somehow, I realized what had happened, and immediately got on the CB radio, and said, "gentlemen, I think we just had an earthquake".

Well, you can imagine what happened next as everyone who heard it started laughing and making smart comments. That was until someone tuned into KYW and decided to key up and play some of the broadcast over the CB. I got a couple of apologies after that, and some of them asked how I knew so fast what it was.

Archived