Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene Model and Forecast Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Severe potential with this hurricane, if RGEM output is accurate, height falls over the centre amount to near-record lows for a tropical system (546 dm depicted at 36h). Track is ominous but not yet clear enough to suggest more than extreme caution anywhere northeast of about Charleston SC. Further ahead, Long Island or New England landfalls will coincide with new moon near perigee (late 28th early 29th) suggesting extreme storm surge issues wherever Irene reaches land over the period Saturday to Tuesday.

I believe it is quite possible that a strong cat-4 or even cat-5 hurricane may develop east of JAX, perhaps make a brief NC/VA landfall and then stay strong (fading only to cat-3 or high end cat-2) well north of 40N.

Quite likely this is the last Hurricane Irene we will ever see.

Where did you get this info from ? I didnt hear anyone mention it

To be honest, I'm not sure most of the folks on here even know the ins and outs of Data assimilation, much less new advances such as hybrid ensemble/var. I don't mean that to be condescending either, it's just that most mets aren't even really really exposed to the theory and application, beyond grad students at some of the bigger universities....and those that get into DA research.

I won't clutter this thread with an attempt to explain it, but I would be happy to answer questions offline, provide literature, or even perhaps start a thread specific to answering DA questions.

Well good, now this makes me feel a whole lot better knowing I'm not the only one that you may have lost with that post. I am looking forward to your thread for I think it can be a great learning experience for everyone reading this forum. Thx.

The surge in the Euro scenario in the Chesapeake and Delaware bays would be severe at the very least.

Agree, I am growing increasingly concerned about the Euro's persistence and the other models seeming to tick back west just a bit. My home is in southern MD and Isabel was bad. This seems just as bad if not worse if it pans out like some of the models are showing tonight.

Agree, I am growing increasingly concerned about the Euro's persistence and the other models seeming to tick back west just a bit. My home is in southern MD and Isabel was bad. This seems just as bad if not worse if it pans out like some of the models are showing tonight.

Better let Wes know as well.. he''s in Calvert County I believe

Archived