Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 6-? Severe Weather

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty classic development of that supercell just as it entered Merrick County, Nebraska.

At 22:45z the storm began to rapidly intensify, and the satellite shows an impressive storm.

10 minutes later, the storm was turning hard right and was tornado warned. And on the satellite you can now see an increase in Cu development on the southwestern flank of the storm (indicative of RFD development).

The portion of the line near the Missouri border in Iowa is moving very quickly. The northern end of the line up towards I-80 has a few cells that you can tell are slowly rotating. Would not be surprised to see a nice WAA wing develop out in front of the line in the next hour or two. Probably along or just north of the highway 34 corridor. Could be some very strong winds impacting Osceola/Chariton/Albia/Ottumwa/Fairfield eventually. :popcorn:

The portion of the line near the Missouri border in Iowa is moving very quickly. The northern end of the line up towards I-80 has a few cells that you can tell are slowly rotating. Would not be surprised to see a nice WAA wing develop out in front of the line in the next hour or two. Probably along or just north of the highway 34 corridor. Could be some very strong winds impacting Osceola/Chariton/Albia/Ottumwa/Fairfield eventually. :popcorn:

i agree! it also will be interesting to see how the outflow boundary from the storms behind the main line affect it. have to say, hrrr did a nice job with this one earlier today as it has performed not so well lately lol. i don't expect it to this time of year though lol.

btw, hi everyone, first post. been posting on accuweather forums for a while!

i agree! it also will be interesting to see how the outflow boundary from the storms behind the main line affect it. have to say, hrrr did a nice job with this one earlier today as it has performed not so well lately lol. i don't expect it to this time of year though lol.

btw, hi everyone, first post. been posting on accuweather forums for a while!

Welcome to the boards! Where you located?

A few cells have popped north of Chariton in the last few scans. May be the start of the WAA wing.

1204 AM TSTM WND GST ALBIA 41.03N 92.80W 08/07/2011 E60 MPH MONROE IA TRAINED SPOTTER

Decent mid-upper level winds helping push the QLCS quickly eastward through Iowa along and south of I-80. Definitely a well developed cold pool now as well. The lack of strong instability (above 3000j/kg) is keeping things from getting too out of control, but 60-70mph gusts along and south of I-80 look probable for the next several hours. SPC just recently expanded the watch to include the QC. We may get in on the action a bit later tonight, but still a long ways to go.

1204 AM TSTM WND GST ALBIA 41.03N 92.80W 08/07/2011 E60 MPH MONROE IA TRAINED SPOTTER

Decent mid-upper level winds helping push the QLCS quickly eastward through Iowa along and south of I-80. Definitely a well developed cold pool now as well. The lack of strong instability (above 3000j/kg) is keeping things from getting too out of control, but 60-70mph gusts along and south of I-80 look probable for the next several hours. SPC just recently expanded the watch to include the QC. We may get in on the action a bit later tonight, but still a long ways to go.

Ya it will be interesting to see how long it survives moving eastward, low level moisture certainly not a problem but MLCAPE goes down as you get into IL but still a decent amount a MUCAPE and the mid-level suport is decent.

Ya it will be interesting to see how long it survives moving eastward, low level moisture certainly not a problem but MLCAPE goes down as you get into IL but still a decent amount a MUCAPE and the mid-level suport is decent.

Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to watch. Bulk shear remains very supportive through Illinois, and instability actually slightly increases east of the Mississippi a bit over the next few hours per latest RUC. With the well established cold pool this may continue to advance/propagate eastward through Illinois and could even end up impacting Indiana later tonight.

Golf ball size hail in IWX's CWA.

1158 AM HAIL 1 N RADIOVILLE 41.17N 86.89W

08/07/2011 M1.75 INCH STARKE IN PUBLIC

GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL REPORTED NEAR THE STARKE AND

PULASKI COUNTY LINE WITH TREE BRANCHES DOWN

SPC with a recent MD out for a possible watch issuance for IN, IL, OH, etc.

And just to the NW of here...

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1246 PM EDT SUN AUG 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN BENTON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST INDIANA...

* UNTIL 115 PM EDT

* AT 1244 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HALF DOLLAR SIZE HAIL.

THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR REMINGTON...OR 6 MILES EAST OF

WADENA...AND MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

DTX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

1132 AM EDT SUN AUG 7 2011

.UPDATE...

RATHER ILL-ORGANIZED CONVECTIVE CONGLOMERATION OVER SOUTHERN LAKE

MICHIGAN THIS MORNING HAS STARTED TO BECOME REORIENTED NORMAL TO

THE MEAN FLOW OVER THE LAST HOUR AND IS EXHIBITING SOME SEMBLANCE OF

ORGANIZATION. THE STRONGEST UPDRAFTS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A NARROW

SHORT WAVELENGTH CONVERGENCE ZONE EXTENDING ROUGHLY FROM BENTON