• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 6-? Severe Weather

I've had my fill of mammatus this year baro. I used to think they were kind of rare, but I've seen them around here at least 5 times this year.

Yeah mammatus aren't rare at all. They are more or less a feature of any upper level outflow anvil cloud attached to a decent supercell, either FF or back-sheared. I still think they are neat, especially if they have good color and/or depth to them.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went storm chasing today. After viewing data max gust measured 5 Miles east of Lyons showed was 83mph . My car almost got flipped over (no joke-eclipse and low to the ground). Possible gustnado/wet micro-burst. Shredded leaves off branches observed. At time of winds, also had quarter size hail. The wind and the hail seemed to last forever, but probably was around 4 minutes or so. Just to my east TWO semi trucks were overturned as well. My mom was with me and said she saw something similar to a tornado for a brief second before it hit. Ended up helping the two guys out of the semi trucks. Hail on the side of the roads was 3-4 inches deep at least. i had never heard anything to loud in my life, it was deafening with all the hail and wind at the same time, in fact my ears still hurt. By far best/scariest chase ever for me. During the drive on the way to the storm we saw 4 cows- 1 of which in the road, and a deer.

post-556-0-84876200-1312948561.png

Deep Moist Convection.

Not exactly sure who coined it, but Chuck Doswell made it popular in one of his articles from his Severe Convective Storms Monologue.

cool.. not a widely used acronym at least. ;) my mind goes to dmz which is totally different all together.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR EAST CENTRAL LARAMIE AND

SOUTHWESTERN KIMBALL COUNTIES UNTIL 415 PM MDT...

AT 351 PM MDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PINE BLUFFS...OR 20 MILES WEST OF KIMBALL...

MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL AFFECT MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF EAST CENTRAL

LARAMIE AND SOUTHWESTERN KIMBALL COUNTIES.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 IN WYOMING BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 397 AND

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 IN NEBRASKA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 1 AND

AT 336 PM MDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED A TORNADO AT A LOCATION 4 MILES

WEST OF PINE BLUFFS AT MILE MARKER 396 ON INTERSTATE 80.

AT 350 PM MDT...HAIL OF 1.25 INCHES IN DIAMETER WAS REPORTED IN PINE

BLUFFS IN EASTERN LARAMIE COUNTY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT

YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

MOTORISTS SHOULD NOT TAKE SHELTER UNDER HIGHWAY OVERPASSES. AS A LAST

RESORT... EITHER PARK YOUR VEHICLE AND STAY PUT...OR ABANDON YOUR

VEHICLE AND LIE DOWN IN A LOW LYING AREA.

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER...CONTACT YOUR NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT

AGENCY. THEY WILL RELAY YOUR REPORT TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

IN CHEYENNE.

QLCS spin-up tornado last night was initially reported as wind damage but now confirmed as a tornado in NE OK at around 3-4 AM.

*** 1 FATAL, 2 INJ *** DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE HOME DESTROYED...2 SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOMES DAMAGED...GARAGE DESTROYED...WORKSHOP DESTROYED...NUMEROUS TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS TSTM WIND DAMAGE.TORNADO WAS RATED EF2 AND WAS ON THE GROUND FOR 5 MILES. MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH WAS 400 YARDS.

QLCS spin-up tornado last night was initially reported as wind damage but now confirmed as a tornado in NE OK at around 3-4 AM.

*** 1 FATAL, 2 INJ *** DOUBLE WIDE MOBILE HOME DESTROYED...2 SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOMES DAMAGED...GARAGE DESTROYED...WORKSHOP DESTROYED...NUMEROUS TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS TSTM WIND DAMAGE.TORNADO WAS RATED EF2 AND WAS ON THE GROUND FOR 5 MILES. MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH WAS 400 YARDS.

That makes it the only official killer August tornado on record in Oklahoma (since 1950).

Archived