mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
August NYC Metro WX Disco

Dark Energy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, my high today was 80F. Disgusting, bring back my 90s.

Lol I don't think "disgusting" is a fitting word here despite how much you didn't like today's high. Today was gorgeous and didn't feel fall like at all. I was in the pool and the sun felt strong. Did you stay in the clouds longer today?

Also, my high today was 80F. Disgusting, bring back my 90s.

In a way we lucked out to see some sun on Wed and today but it was too cloudy for to long. Geez Sunday looks wet! . If we can get sun tomorrow and Saturday we could go above guidance.

Lol I don't think "disgusting" is a fitting word here despite how much you didn't like today's high. Today was gorgeous and didn't feel fall like at all. I was in the pool and the sun felt strong. Did you stay in the clouds longer today?

Temperatures in the 80F range is definitely summer. I used to live in the Poconos where the average July high/low is 77/55. I don't understand why people want this extreme heat, having temperatures in the 60s, 70s, and low 80s is the most pleasant for most humans. I think I may be moving up to New England soon for a teaching position, and I'm really glad to be heading back north again after 4 years of college in Vermont...it's not definite yet, but I hope I can make the move. The white pine/birch forest, the crisp nights, the mountains...all so much better than being in a hot concrete jungle. And NYC will eventually revert to climo and see a bunch of 15-20" winters while Rindge NH gets 100"...

Temperatures in the 80F range is definitely summer. I used to live in the Poconos where the average July high/low is 77/55. I don't understand why people want this extreme heat, having temperatures in the 60s, 70s, and low 80s is the most pleasant for most humans. I think I may be moving up to New England soon for a teaching position, and I'm really glad to be heading back north again after 4 years of college in Vermont...it's not definite yet, but I hope I can make the move. The white pine/birch forest, the crisp nights, the mountains...all so much better than being in a hot concrete jungle. And NYC will eventually revert to climo and see a bunch of 15-20" winters while Rindge NH gets 100"...

we can only hope

Please don't make me relive that terrible day. I hate thinking about it.

Yes I thought there was a general rule to never speak about that day again

We got our revenge on Feb 26-27, 2010 and again on Dec 26-27, 2011 and once more on Jan 26-27, 2011..... I'll know now to always root for snow on the 26-27 LOL

Dude... once again..... there is no such thing as "climo".... it's merely a dumbing down of data by averaging it out. We wont get 15-20, what will happen is we will have a bunch of years where we get 6-12 inches of snow lol to bring the averages down. "Normal" is fictional and does not exist.

And another point-- 15-20 isnt even "normal"-- the data is corrupted because of what happened in the 70s and 80s.... average.... for whatever that word means (and it doesnt mean much) should be more around 25-30.

BTW Im hoping for global warming-- because that will throw averages right out the window ;)

we can only hope

I think the -NAO is going to make above-average snowfall winters more common on the coastal plain, but at the same time there is no way the NYC metro can see 50-60" every year as many of us have since 08-09. The last three winters have spoiled winter lovers in this region beyond belief, and we will eventually come down to earth. Even in a favorable -PDO/-NAO decadal cycle, like the 1960s, there are bound to be some crappy winters. There were a lot of great winters from 57-58 through 69-70, but there were certainly some forgettable ones like 65-66 and 67-68. Even the best alignment of the global oscillations will not always produce a snowy season. Eventually there were be a clunker.

I think the -NAO is going to make above-average snowfall winters more common on the coastal plain, but at the same time there is no way the NYC metro can see 50-60" every year as many of us have since 08-09. The last three winters have spoiled winter lovers in this region beyond belief, and we will eventually come down to earth. Even in a favorable -PDO/-NAO decadal cycle, like the 1960s, there are bound to be some crappy winters. There were a lot of great winters from 57-58 through 69-70, but there were certainly some forgettable ones like 65-66 and 67-68. Even the best alignment of the global oscillations will not always produce a snowy season. Eventually there were be a clunker.

I think 65-66 had too much of a good thing--- south of us they had a historic winter in the MA.

So how much rain this weekend? GFS says 2"...NAM less than half that (at least as of the 0z run)

Euro has strong line of storms and rain sat night into Sunday then clearing. I guess this would be the best scenario if its gotta rain this weekend. Mayeb salvage both days. If we can get into sun for any sustained period both days could approach 90.

and the NAM had it spread out with only one period of heavy rain, the GFS had about 12-18 hours of heavy rain

Euro has strong line of storms and rain sat night into Sunday then clearing. I guess this would be the best scenario if its gotta rain this weekend. Mayeb salvage both days. If we can get into sun for any sustained period both days could approach 90.

and the NAM had it spread out with only one period of heavy rain, the GFS had about 12-18 hours of heavy rain

6z NAM has convective activity Saturday mid day. Then a break. And then the storms that every other model has Saturday night into Sunday morning.

6z NAM has convective activity Saturday mid day. Then a break. And then the storms that every other model has Saturday night into Sunday morning.

I didnt see much on Saturday prior to 8pm on most guidance. Hoefulyl we can get the storms in and out overnight and get both days dry. We'll see what the 12z suite has to offer. Looks stormy through Wed.

I didnt see much on Saturday prior to 8pm on most guidance. Hoefulyl we can get the storms in and out overnight and get both days dry. We'll see what the 12z suite has to offer. Looks stormy through Wed.

12z NAM came back very wet. Nearly 2" of rain for NYC and north. Bullseye of 4"+ in upstate NY.

Its from a developing low pressure system that has embedded strong convection.

Saturday looks mainly dry on the 12z Nam. It has a line of storms coming in late at night.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/images/nam_ref_048l.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/12/images/nam_p48_048l.gif

Yeah. But the 12z NAM ruins Sunday. Has a ton of rain moving in early in the morning and lasting a few hours.

1.50"-2" areawide with bigger amounts to 4", north.

Saturday looks like a cloudy day and Sunday looks like a rainy day. Not a good weekend to have plans.

77/55 may be pleasant, but to me, summer isn't about comfortable/cool temps/crisp nights, keep that for spring and fall. It's about going outside in the hot sun, breaking a sweat, swimming, going to the beach, feeling the humidity in the air, watching steam rise off the pavement after a T-storm, going out at midnight and still being warm/humid enough to swim or just walk around in shorts/t-shirt (temps in the 50s overnight during the summer feels September-like to me, and I'd rather not see my breath on a July night).

Maybe I'd feel differently if I grew up in NNE, but having lived in NJ my life thus far, I've grown to enjoy the heat/humidity for the short time we have it, 2-3 months per year.

Saturday looks like a cloudy day and Sunday looks like a rainy day. Not a good weekend to have plans.

Still hopeful we can escape the rain during the day/afternoon if the storms come through overnight. Hopefully the brunt of the storms stay north. Dont think we can escape the clouds.

Archived