joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe weather potential friday 7/29

earthlight

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be a lot of clouds in and around the city and on the coast, not sure how much this area clears out, if at all. Further W and N&W should clear out into the Hudson Valley NW Jersey. 6Z NAM couldnt look more different from the 00z stormagedon, so 12z will be interesting.

agree--too much in the way of debris cloudiness today....bust o rama coming and maybe a shower if we're lucky

Best stuff will be north of the area, like it always is. You guys know how this goes.

I don't know, the way earthlight explained it in his briefing about todays severe weather looks like we have pretty decent shot of getting some intense weather today. The way this year has gone north of us gets the action though but I guess we will see only time is gonna tell

How some of us can react to some morning clouds/early morning rain and calling for a bust for a convective event not progged to unfold until after sunset is more premature/anxiety driven than accurately depicted. These clouds will set up a thermal boundary which the storms will initiate and ride upon. You can clearly see the divide on the latest visible shots.

How some of us can react to some morning clouds/early morning rain and calling for a bust for a convective event not progged to unfold until after sunset is more premature/anxiety driven than accurately depicted. These clouds will set up a thermal boundary which the storms will initiate and ride upon. You can clearly see the divide on the latest visible shots.

Right now I'm in the wait and see mode I'm not writing anything off simply because of the fact that some of our biggest storms have caught us off gaurd

12z NAM keeps the activity south of NYC. It appears, it keeps it in the area to the south, that according to visible satellite, has some sun and will continue to have more and more sun, as the day goes on:

Yeah, NAM bullseye's my area now.

I still haven't cleared out, 78F and OVC, but vis satellite looks like clearing will occur soon.

Sun has popped through the clouds here. Given that it's only 11 am and the storms are not forecast to impact our area until after 00z, I think some people could use a dose of patience before declaring a severe weather event over in the morning.

Just to be clear and fair, make sure there is separation between the group of people calling bust and the group of people who are talking about limiting factors, etc.

Just to be clear and fair, make sure there is separation between the group of people calling bust and the group of people who are talking about limiting factors, etc.

Doesn't the overcast/rainy weather this morning limit the chances of any good action this afternoon though not completely make the threat nill?

Doesn't the overcast/rainy weather this morning limit the chances of any good action this afternoon though not completely make the threat nill?

It can sometimes act as a stabalizing force and but with full sunshine the atmosphere will destabilize very very quickly.

g13.2011210.1445_BWI_vis.jpg

It is trying to clear all the way up the the NY/PA boarder. Also, look at that leftover boundary; tracking nicely across W PA and will be the trigger for the storms this afternoon. On radar loops, I can also see an MCV/ meso-low on the NY/PA boarder just E of Eerie, PA tracking E. the HRRR absolutely nailed this feature so far for its 09-12Z runs (check composite radar loops).

This could be a very windy late afternoon for TTN and surrounding areas. DCAPE up near 1000 for this area, ML CAPe > 2000 widespread (very soon) AND some helicity in the area too.

So far the cumulus field forming in C Pa looks promising.

ALSO, the Upton, NY sounding is not half bad... The Convective T is equivalent to the Max T there so once they clear out, that area should get storms too. It all depends on exactly where the cold pool forms; because once the storms pop and form the cold pool it is driving straight to the NJ shore (in a southeasterly direction so the DE shore too).

g13.2011210.1445_BWI_vis.jpg

It is trying to clear all the way up the the NY/PA boarder. Also, look at that leftover boundary; tracking nicely across W PA and will be the trigger for the storms this afternoon. On radar loops, I can also see an MCV/ meso-low on the NY/PA boarder just E of Eerie, PA tracking E. the HRRR absolutely nailed this feature so far for its 09-12Z runs (check composite radar loops).

This could be a very windy late afternoon for TTN and surrounding areas. DCAPE up near 1000 for this area, ML CAPe > 2000 widespread (very soon) AND some helicity in the area too.

So far the cumulus field forming in C Pa looks promising.

ALSO, the Upton, NY sounding is not half bad... The Convective T is equivalent to the Max T there so once they clear out, that area should get storms too. It all depends on exactly where the cold pool forms; because once the storms pop and form the cold pool it is driving straight to the NJ shore (in a southeasterly direction so the DE shore too).

which is why I said clearing out was key when I posted the sounding.

Archived