joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe weather potential friday 7/29

earthlight

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nights have just been brutally warm this July. It seems as if we rarely get below 70F here anymore, even though average lows are in the 64-66F range for the month. I remember many July nights in the upper 50s/low 60s, windows open and the fan on low, perfect sleeping weather. This summer I am having to run the A/C like every night, just terrible, both from an energy perspective and for personal comfort. Miss the fresh cool air in my face as I drift off.

Can't wait for September...I have a final interview in NH for a language teaching job, so I may be moving away. We'll see, should have a good idea by Monday or Tuesday of next week. Would miss you guys but the snow is good there, and I need to launch my career.

I noticed a major change after July 15th in terms of the nights. IMBY, I recorded only 2 70F+ nights in the July 1st-15th period, while the July 15th-29th period I've had 10 such nights. I think the cooler nights are right around the corner, with some changes for early/mid August.

Good luck with the job. I taught for a few weeks this summer 4th grade CCD, to see how I'd take to it, and actually loved it. Was challenging, enjoyable, and very rewarding as well. So at this point I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on switching my major to education (from environmental science currently). I'm on the back 9 of college so to speak so I've got to make my decision soon. I could always finish w/ my current major and pursue a masters in an associated field (education, or possibly meteorology). I'd like go the science teaching route if I do education.

I noticed a major change after July 15th in terms of the nights. IMBY, I recorded only 2 70F+ nights in the July 1st-15th period, while the July 15th-29th period I've had 10 such nights. I think the cooler nights are right around the corner, with some changes for early/mid August.

Good luck with the job. I taught for a few weeks this summer 4th grade CCD, to see how I'd take to it, and actually loved it. Was challenging, enjoyable, and very rewarding as well. So at this point I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on switching my major to education (from environmental science currently). I'm on the back 9 of college so to speak so I've got to make my decision soon. I could always finish w/ my current major and pursue a masters in an associated field (education, or possibly meteorology). I'd like go the science teaching route if I do education.

I teach high school science (Geology, Earth Science) and I love it. You can imagine I go all out when the Weather and Climate Unit rolls around! But I love all earth sciences including astronomy so the whole year for me is quite enjoyable. If you enjoy the subject and enjoy teaching people about something you love then its very rewarding.

Statement as of 3:38 PM EDT on July 30, 2011

... National Weather Service confirms a tornado in Goshen NY...

Event: tornado

intensity: EF-1

maximum wind speed: 90-100 mph

path length: 2.1 miles

path width: 100 yards

time: 459 PM

date: Friday July 29th

Description: based on a damage survey performed by the NWS...

radar signatures... and eyewitness reports... the National Weather

Service confirmed an EF-1 tornado in Goshen... NY on Friday July

The tornado touched down near 109 Coleman Road and lifted near

600 Craigville Road. All along this path... trees converged into a

well defined narrow path. The most significant property damage

occurred on Hasbrouck Road... where 2 houses directly across the

street from one another (at 101 and 110 hasbrouck) were impacted.

At 101 Hasbrouck Road... roof shingles were torn off... skylight

windows were blown in with glass that shattered... and debris was

embedded all along the sides of the house including a small branch

that went right through a gutter. At 110 Hasbrouck Road... trees

were draped all over the house with minor structural damage.

Statement as of 3:38 PM EDT on July 30, 2011

... National Weather Service confirms a tornado in Goshen NY...

Event: tornado

intensity: EF-1

maximum wind speed: 90-100 mph

path length: 2.1 miles

path width: 100 yards

time: 459 PM

date: Friday July 29th

Description: based on a damage survey performed by the NWS...

radar signatures... and eyewitness reports... the National Weather

Service confirmed an EF-1 tornado in Goshen... NY on Friday July

The tornado touched down near 109 Coleman Road and lifted near

600 Craigville Road. All along this path... trees converged into a

well defined narrow path. The most significant property damage

occurred on Hasbrouck Road... where 2 houses directly across the

street from one another (at 101 and 110 hasbrouck) were impacted.

At 101 Hasbrouck Road... roof shingles were torn off... skylight

windows were blown in with glass that shattered... and debris was

embedded all along the sides of the house including a small branch

that went right through a gutter. At 110 Hasbrouck Road... trees

were draped all over the house with minor structural damage.

Could have been bad if the tornado had been on the ground the entire time there was a TVS on radar. The 287 corridor down to I95 would have seen EF-1 or EF-2 conditions, a rare event for the area. Lots of extra damage due to the tall trees and high population density.

Was right on the beach (Lavellette, NJ) when the storms rolled through yesterday; it was really incredible to watch. Lots of CTG lightning, including some very very close strikes that knocked out our power and actually made someone feel their hair standing up from the static electricity. Loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. The wind was also quite intense when the gust front came through, and the rain was torrential.

The beach is such an awesome place to witness an intense thunderstorm; there's no obstructions from the wind and from seeing all of the lightning strikes.

Some pics of the lightning:

270073_2265269551973_1255537763_32797425_3249159_n.jpg

250223_2265270391994_1255537763_32797429_5111344_n.jpg

216842_2265271032010_1255537763_32797432_5839321_n.jpg

223959_2265272032035_1255537763_32797437_623032_n.jpg

215096_2265274872106_1255537763_32797452_176636_n.jpg

251501_2265276552148_1255537763_32797461_6825199_n.jpg

Was right on the beach (Lavellette, NJ) when the storms rolled through yesterday; it was really incredible to watch. Lots of CTG lightning, including some very very close strikes that knocked out our power and actually made someone feel their hair standing up from the static electricity. Loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. The wind was also quite intense when the gust front came through, and the rain was torrential.

The beach is such an awesome place to witness an intense thunderstorm; there's no obstructions from the wind and from seeing all of the lightning strikes.

Some pics of the lightning:

Hey Rutgers outstanding pictures,how in the world were you able to capture so many lightning bolts?

Hey Rutgers outstanding pictures,how in the world were you able to capture so many lightning bolts?

Well those are actually screenshots of videos that I took. :lol: I don't have anywhere near a sophisticated-enough camera to be able to actually capture lightning using the photo feature (unless I get incredibly lucky lol), but I do believe there are cameras out there that constantly take pics very fast, which would greatly increase your chances of capturing at the perfect moment.

Archived