Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 1-? Severe Weather

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Bow looks like he's given up on summer rains and thunderstorms. I'm not sure myself. No question there's still some summer left, but going by meteorological summer we have four weeks left.

the august thread would be a good place to take the remainder of this discussion.

Well, Bow looks like he's given up on summer rains and thunderstorms. I'm not sure myself. No question there's still some summer left, but going by meteorological summer we have four weeks left.

May I remind you that your state's biggest ever single day tornado outbreak occurred on August 18th?

Anyway, rotation seems to be increasing on that cell in southern WI/northern IL.

Get better thunderstorms this yr when its in the 30s and 40's than when its ball soaking hot all july.

line isn't building southwest right now...and if it doesn't soon, people south of 90 and myself won't see much action, we'll see.

There isn't a single cumulus cloud in the sky here as the boundary approaches. Just mid-level clouds. I guess it's not too surprising given the 27C+ 850mb temps down this way. Think you still have a pretty good shot since you still have plenty of time before the boundary passes. Those storms to the north may dig a little further south once the cool pool really gets going.

There isn't a single cumulus cloud in the sky here as the boundary approaches. Just mid-level clouds. I guess it's not too surprising given the 27C+ 850mb temps down this way. Think you still have a pretty good shot since you still have plenty of time before the boundary passes. Those storms to the north may dig a little further south once the cool pool really gets going.

It's already starting to.

616 PM CDT

EXPLOSIVE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT HAS TAKEN PLACE ACROSS

SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN AND FAR NE IL. STORMS ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF

THE 4000+ J/KG OF MLCAPE PRESENT WITH TOPS OCCASIONALLY POPPING UP

OVER 60KFT. SEEING INDICATIONS ON WSR-88D OF STORMS BEGINNING TO

EVOLVE INTO A BOW ECHO WITH IMPRESSIVE VELOCITY SIGNATURE OVER

OVER NE MCHENRY AND NW LAKE COUNTY ILLINOIS. GIVEN THE ENVIRONMENT

UPSTREAM WOULD EXPECT THAT THIS LINE WILL BOW ACROSS THE NORTHERN

SUBURBS THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD

AND POTENTIAL LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT WIND DAMAGE. CANNOT RULE OUT A

QLCS-TYPE TORNADO ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE LINE GIVEN THE

INSTABILITY AND ADEQUATE LOW LEVEL SHEAR...HOWEVER THE PRIMARY

HAZARD BY FAR WILL CONTINUE TO BE SIGNIFICANT WIND DAMAGE.

FATHER WEST CAP APPEARS TO BE HOLDING FOR NOW ACROSS NORTHWEST

ILLINOIS AND EASTERN IOWA...AND CONVECTION MAY HAVE A HARD TIME

BACK-BUILDING TOO FAR WEST AS AXIS OF THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH APPEARS

TO BE MOVING EAST OF THIS AREA ALREADY.

IZZI

They need to come up with some different descriptors. You're not supposed to laugh when you read this.

AT 521 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE HAIL UP TO HEN EGG SIZE...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 8 MILES EAST OF DOWNTOWN JANESVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

Hen egg is one of my favorites to use!

You're right that it could probably use a better descriptor, but it is actually really difficult to come up with a ball or coin that is exactly 2 " in diameter.

Latest 1km vis shows a very narrow line of agitated looking cumulus trailing west-southwest from northwest Illinois back into the nose of Iowa. This lines up pretty well with where the boundary lays. Hoping we see some development with this over the next hour or so, but who knows lol.

Thin line of agitated cumulus along the above mentioned line looks like it's continuing to build. Some of the towers casting shadows visible on 1km vis now. Could be something reading to pop from Savanna down to northwest of DVN.

Thin line of agitated cumulus along the above mentioned line looks like it's continuing to build. Some of the towers casting shadows visible on 1km vis now. Could be something reading to pop from Savanna down to northwest of DVN.

I think one of the hi-res runs today (maybe the 12z 4km wrf) had a line from SE Wisconsin and a line from Western Illinois merging and exploding over the Chicago area.

Archived