• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 1-? Severe Weather

little map I put together quickly from ago..

Nice map...was just talking about this with my met friend from North Dakota. Unique radar signature and a uniquely developing surface low. Mega convergence and still a cap bust, but it was a neat event to follow. Glad I didn't bite on this event after busting the previous two events hard.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soundings from ABR/BIS tonite. Quite telling.

CAP bust for mixed layer parcels.

post-999-0-16548300-1312247372.gif

Dry air entrainment bust...also caught well by the SPC mesoanalysis in the LCL-LFC RH values as well as the trapped waves in the lee of the Coteau des Plains late this afternoon owing to strong capping/subsidence behind the early day MCS.

post-999-0-27952100-1312247373.gif

post-999-0-68281400-1312247787.png

The presence of stable trapped waves instead of a growing CU field are usually not a good sign.

I'll tell you this, the shear being shown on the 00z NAM/GFS has my attention significantly for Southern Lower Michigan and Northern IN/IL. The NAM has better shear but weaker instability, GFS slightly weaker shear especially in the lowest km but much better instability. Either way both look very good for this time of year.

Ya the low-level shear is pretty nice and is highest down in Tonyville by 0z tomorrow evening...0-1 SRH >150 m2/s2

Yeah, the thing that I am certainly watching is the warm front that basically lines up down I-75 through Michigan as this thing drops SE, you could be talking about some localized maximums in helicity not to mention the differential heating due to the boundary in the area.

I'll tell you this, the shear being shown on the 00z NAM/GFS has my attention significantly for Southern Lower Michigan and Northern IN/IL. The NAM has better shear but weaker instability, GFS slightly weaker shear especially in the lowest km but much better instability. Either way both look very good for this time of year.

Actually think instability might be underdone a bit in model land...the HRRR is showing dew points creeping up to 80 degrees by 18z tomorrow afternoon, coupled with temps in the mid 90's, its going to be more unstable then what the model is showing.

Actually think instability might be underdone a bit in model land...the HRRR is showing dew points creeping up to 80 degrees by 18z tomorrow afternoon, coupled with temps in the mid 90's, its going to be more unstable then what the model is showing.

Oh I don't disagree one bit, which is why if things hold pat as we go through the day I would not be shocked to see a Moderate risk out for wind, I am actually a bit surprised there isn't hatching with the 30% currently.

Oh I don't disagree one bit, which is why if things hold pat as we go through the day I would not be shocked to see a Moderate risk out for wind, I am actually a bit surprised there isn't hatching with the 30% currently.

I expect we'll see a moderate risk as soon as the mesoscale players are placed tomorrow.

Tons of cloud cover over most of michigan for most of the morning so i heating is going to be limited at best. I think the best shot at some sig. severe is going to be in wisconsin and ill. That could be screwed up too if the mcs moves se to quick. Messy forecast today.

mcd1829.gif

very early MD for Eastern WI into NE Illinois

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 716

CONTINUES.

THE SEVERE THREAT WITH A LINE OF STORMS MOVING SSEWD THROUGH CNTRL

AND WRN WI WILL LIKELY CONTINUE SEWD INTO SRN WI AND NRN IL THIS

MORNING. WIND DAMAGE AND HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREATS. A NEW WW

MAY NEED TO BE ISSUED SOUTH OF WW 716.

A LINE OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IS ONGOING ON THE NRN END

OF AN AXIS OF MODERATE INSTABILITY EXTENDING NWD FROM CHICAGO TO

DULUTH. THE LINEAR MCS SHOULD MOVE DOWN THE INSTABILITY AXIS AND

MAINTAIN A BOWING STRUCTURE AIDED BY A WELL-DEFINED 45 TO 55 KT 700

MB JET LOCATED JUST BEHIND THE LEADING EDGE OF THE MCS. THIS FEATURE

IS HELPING TO CREATE MODERATE DEEP LAYER WHICH SHOULD KEEP THE MCS

ORGANIZED THROUGH MID-MORNING. A FORWARD SPEED OF 4O TO 50 KT ALONG

WITH A UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND PROFILE ABOVE 1 KM EVIDENT ON THE

MILWAUKEE WSR-88D VWP SHOULD SUPPORT A CONTINUED WIND DAMAGE THREAT.

HAIL WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE WITH THE MORE INTENSE CELLS EMBEDDED

WITHIN THE LINE.

I'm worried the MCS in N Wisconsin will head close enough to SE Wisconsin to give us ample cloud cover yet just miss us, as we've seen happen several times, ultimately hurting us now as well as later. Even if we get this MCS, it will definitely hurt us later. If only this MCS would be moving through earlier.

I made a blog post outlining the potential threat/my worries.

http://tornadicapoca...ng-trouble.html

Great write up. Nicely done. I was wondering what the severe threat was going to be like for today. Thanks for spelling it out. :thumbsup:

Watch where the outflow boundary ends up.

It will be a congrats Alek, I know it! We're too close to the current convection. It will just be like that May day when an OFB came through from storms to the north and stabilized the atmosphere here, but areas south and west were still all systems go.

It will be a congrats Alek, I know it! We're too close to the current convection. It will just be like that May day when an OFB came through from storms to the north and stabilized the atmosphere here, but areas south and west were still all systems go.

My best guess is that initiation takes off from MKE southwest towards RFD, possibly back as far west as the QC area. IMO northeast Illinois including Chicago is almost a lock for an intense line this evening.

My best guess is that initiation takes off from MKE southwest towards RFD, possibly back as far west as the QC area. IMO northeast Illinois including Chicago is almost a lock for an intense line this evening.

pretty much have been my thoughts for the last day or so, prob will see intiation back west to ALO, maybe even DSM, depending on speed/exact orientation of the front at the time it fires.

early look at what the HRRR is doing..

few things...The NAM has a major QPF bullseye over north-central/northeast IL from a big time MCS and PWATS are going to be sky high..

The 12z RUC is quite bullish on low-level shear in the area and almost has due south winds in spots at 0z ahead of the convection...0-3 SRH is >400 m2/s2 at this time over northeast IL..

Been cloudy here all morning so far. I hope the current convection north of here gets a move on so we have the maximum possible sunshine to destabilize. The backup RUC has storms developing just north and west of here, while the HRRR has them developing over or just south and east of here. Looks like it will be close. If any of those initial cells start off discrete, could get slightly hairy around here as well.

Archived