Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 1-? Severe Weather

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Derek is around, you might want to consider a potential chase early next week. Still early, but some of the models are looking fairly favorable for some significant activity in southern Saskatchewan/Manitoba and North Dakota. Depending on how far the trough/cold front sinks, it could be a lot further south than that as well.

If Derek is around, you might want to consider a potential chase early next week. Still early, but some of the models are looking fairly favorable for some significant activity in southern Saskatchewan/Manitoba and North Dakota. Depending on how far the trough/cold front sinks, it could be a lot further south than that as well.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Monday.

Doubtful that it comes well S. Even the EC dream run from a few days ago where the southern periphery of the bomb wave it was producing was just along/N of the border. Given the strength of the subtropical ridge progged to be in place, farther N is likely. Global guidance still waffling about, but all guidance more or less takes much of synoptic forcing for ascent well into Manitoba...latest EC deepens the low just a tick S of the Hudson Bay with the baroclinic surface trof extending into the US. A number of globals are hinting at a mountain induced wave disturbance ejecting on the western periphery of the subtropical ridge ahead/in line with the main Canadian wave with extensive overnight WAA induced DMC the previous nite extending into the day Monday with the other scenario being extensive low level cloud cover and/or early developing elevated convection. Looks like another messy convective event similar to the past couple.

post-999-0-17719400-1311877858.gif

the hodographs look quite ominous off the 0z NAM for southeast ND/northeast SD monday evening....and they only get more curved and loopy after a strong LLJ kicks in after 0z...alot of instablility and moisture along with decent mid-level flow.

But this is if the cap can break..

Giant "if" as per usual this summer, but yeah that looks just plain nasty with those very nicely veered winds...

I'm trying to decide if tomorrow or Monday has the best tor potential. Realistically I can only chase one of the days I need to get thesis stuff done. I'm really liking Monday and the hodo's but the cap could be a problem and tomorrow seems like i'll have to head down 94 to catch init. around Jamestown or so. Either way ND looks primed for a 2 day outbreak as long as that cap breaks.

Would the supercell threat extend into southern Manitoba tomorrow? Looks like the dynamics are south of the border again..

Yeah, looking like this is gonna be another miss for the Canadian Prairies...

However, today's threat in the Dakotas is looking interesting, with extreme instability (ridiculous RUC CAPE forecast), weakening of the cap and some serious EHI values in Central/Southern ND and Northern SD. Sort of reminds me of the July 17th event, with perhaps a more widespread potential. Any storm that can form and break the cap is liable to potentially explode in the environment that is in place there. I would like to see stronger vertical/bulk shear, however, and more enlargement of the hodographs...

Also, nice hole in the cloud cover across the warm sector in ND/SD...

Also, nice hole in the cloud cover across the warm sector in ND/SD...

I would say its quite the hole and most of SD is in the warm sector now as the warm front continues to lift northward and a cu field going up in southwest SD over the black hills although the better 0-6km shear is further north.

The best enviroment is west of ABR but its under the influence of the ridging and with H7 temps pushing 15 degrees C

The expanded death ridge (at least for this year) funneling all of that hot air (and therefore, warm mid level temps and stronger capping) has likely played a major role in preventing larger scale convective events in the Upper MS Valley.

However, once late summer/fall comes around and we start getting cold pockets from Canada sinking southward...:yikes:

Edit: Tor Watch just issued for ND/SD...

The expanded death ridge (at least for this year) funneling all of that hot air (and therefore, warm mid level temps and stronger capping) has likely played a major role in preventing larger scale convective events.

Even then things the severe weather activity on a large scale basis has been pretty good this summer.

I've seen *FAR* worse severe weather seasons.

Tuesday also has the potential to be a widepsread severe weather outbreak across the Great Lakes. To have that hype of helicity (200-400m2-s2) mix in with the instability expected spells trouble.

Even then things the severe weather activity on a large scale basis has been pretty good this summer.

Tuesday also has the potential to be a widepsread severe weather outbreak across the Great Lakes. To have that hype of helicity (200-400m2-s2) mix in with the instability expected spells trouble.

We'll see. It won't take too much to satisfy me at this point. I just want to see storms survive their trek to MKE.

Two words: Ongoing Convection

Also, storms initiating a bit further north now, things could get interesting if more widespread development occurs.

Archived