Newest Member
    joxey
Heat Wave Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS now 97/70 ; HI 106

That's two hours of 104, 106 ...one more and that's Warning criteria.

Others are as impressive with 97/70 at FIT... BED's interesting at 94/73, HI of 105...but that's 2 hours also at these other locations. There are more.

hmmmm...

BOSTON MOSUNNY 97 70 41 SW25G36 29.66F HX 103

Suspect most site like BOS/ASH/FIT/ ...probably not BED/ but BAF...etc, will touch 100.

Going above MOS at this hour it would seem. Lord knows the thermal fields are no limitation - I wonder if the BL/mixing depth is even 850mb yet.

Southeastern MA and CC/Islands are being spared the worst today it would appear. Still only in the mid 80's at TAN. CC and Islands still in the 70's.

Congratulations! Hovering around 90 for the last hour and a half. 90.1/72/ HI 98.

To paraphrase the great Jimmy McMillan, "the temp's too damn high!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

Southeastern MA and CC/Islands are being spared the worst today it would appear. Still only in the mid 80's at TAN. CC and Islands still in the 70's.

Same with the south coast from east of HVN out through GON and UUU. Looks like the max in those spots will be high-70s east to around 85 west as things are cooling off with a sea breeze now.

MAV was 7F too low at BOS on the 6 hour prog. MET 3F too low. MET has 100 at BOS tomorrow and I suspect we go to 103.

yeah MAV was not good for this event. given we gain another 2 to 3C at 850 tomorrow and should have a good launching pad, cresting 100F is reasonable if nothing gets in the way cloud wise etc.

yeah MAV was not good for this event. given we gain another 2 to 3C at 850 tomorrow and should have a good launching pad, cresting 100F is reasonable if nothing gets in the way cloud wise etc.

All MOS' appear underdone, yeah - MAV was worst. That's fascinating.

Yeah I just noticed that at NWS ... Most charts that put these on a matrix have 106 for that combination. Interesting.

Using the NWS heat index equation, 97F and 41% RH yields a heat index of 103.5F which has a stated accuracy of +/- 1.5F or something in that neighborhood. The charts could be old. I think the NWS has made a few adjustments over the years to the original Steadman equations that perhaps some charts are based on. Southern Region HQ has a TA on it: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ffc/pdf/ta_htindx.PDF

Here's NCDC's chart:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/conversion/heatindexchart.html

Clearly shows 106 ;)

why NWS' calculates 103 is a mystery when every product formulaically derived has 106 for that combination.

hmmmm...don't know.

most of the NWS charts and the actual calculator tool they have available are 103/104.

pointless anyway as the actual HI calculation has a +/- 1.3F error

hmmmm...don't know.

most of the NWS charts and the actual calculator tool they have available are 103/104.

pointless anyway as the actual HI calculation has a +/- 1.3F error

True....and we should point out that the formula is theoretical, too - obviously, what is 104F for someone with Low blood pressure might be like 140 for an alcoholic HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Well, here's something to cheer up the locals!

post-904-0-97380900-1311274663.jpg

hmmm...i've got 102...will have to dig some more. that would be pretty amazing though.

you could be right...I just browsed real quick through their daily extremes on the NWS page, could've missed it if it was 102. Either way...doesn't look like they're gonna break it, down to 98 at 3pm as winds dropped a bit and turned more NW. May of touched 101 between the hours, but that looks like it'll about do it for them.

Archived