• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

I wonder if the RGEM and GEM were lower on the snowfall and that led EC astray. Sounds great up there. :)

massive weenie bust here in montreal

we must be closing in on a foot or so, although its hard to tell as its blowing all over the place on fairly strong winds

looking at the radar, it doesnt even look impressive, but im guessing the reverse flow with the retro low is causing some sort of precip effect, perhaps some river effect thrown in too.

environment canada with all kinds of pie on their face this morning.

they were calling for 4-8cm (2-3inches) but instead with the snow and wind, its a flat out snowstorm that started before last ngihts rush hour and continued through this mornings rush hour.:axe:

huge huge bust, i feel bad for them, this one is going to resonate for a while.....a long while esp given its the first event of the season....but the NAM and GFS and Ottawa Blizzard were all over this depicting 6+ for several runs over the weekend.

i do feel bad for them, cleaning up this media relation mess with the millions of citizens wont be pretty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for nothing but as has been discussed on the upslope thread- the High Peaks have been crushed with over a foot of snow and likely above 3k 18 inches of snow. I've had some reports come in from BC skiers of Knee Deep in the woods at elevation.

whiteface is reporting 12-14 inches, about what I expected from them in this type of setup.

Logan, the overnight band set up JUST south of my house. I MAY have gotten an inch overnight, but I don't think it was even that much. I'm around 3" total for the event.

This lake band has been sitting over me since the early morning hours again. I'd day another 2.5 to 3 inches has fallen. The two day total is probably 5 to 6 inches, but I'll need to go back into a cleared area of the woods to verify given the blowing situation. Basically yesterdays 3" was mostly blown off the lawn and now it looks deeper than it did yesterday so we replaced it. :) ..until the wind takes it away again. ...

Snow and 20F now....

holy cow, nice to see you !

they are all slowly filtering in as the snow begins it seems :lol:

figured we had lost you too.......real good to see you posting here.

hopefully a few others will find their way over here eventually....

anyways, you gotta give Ottawa Blizzard credit, he was all over todays snowfall over the weekend, great call by him

it sure was nice to see real snow falling, seems like its been just about 11 months in montreal since we say anything like today......WAY too long.

and check out the GFS for next week! if only....:snowman:

It took me a few mins. to find this website, but thanks to google, I'm here.. :-)

I'm just loving all of this snow.. Like you mentioned it's been way too long since we've had anything of significance snow wise here,. and it's still coming down at a nice clip.. I'm sure we must be approaching about 10 inches by now..

As for the weekend storm, I'm a bit concerned that we might get into mixing issues, but we're still a long ways away, and anything can happen.. It would be nice if we could have a repeat of the Dec. 2007 storm.. Here's hoping..

Cheers,

Scratch

just unreal, i cant believe how much it is snowing here in montreal, considering what was expected.

here is a semi-explantion from environement canada in their warning just issued

Metro Montréal - Laval

11:35 AM EST Tuesday 07 December 2010

Snowfall warning for

Metro Montréal - Laval issued

Bands of heavy snow will bring 10 to 15 cm of snow to these areas through this evening.

An intense low pressure system over lake St-Jean continues to track northwestward and will lie east of James Bay by the end of the day.

Bands of intense snow are developing near the St Lawrence river and are moving southeastward. These bands will generate another 15 cm through this evening between Montréal and Québec city. In the Eastern Townships, the snow will continue throughout the night.

i see NNY and the border region south of the St Lawrence is also under a warning too.

very unusual effect for here, and difficult to predict too......though again, the US models did a good job with this.....the Euro and GEM did not.

It took me a few mins. to find this website, but thanks to google, I'm here.. :-)

I'm just loving all of this snow.. Like you mentioned it's been way too long since we've had anything of significance snow wise here,. and it's still coming down at a nice clip.. I'm sure we must be approaching about 10 inches by now..

As for the weekend storm, I'm a bit concerned that we might get into mixing issues, but we're still a long ways away, and anything can happen.. It would be nice if we could have a repeat of the Dec. 2007 storm.. Here's hoping..

Cheers,

Scratch

yeah id be concerned about mxing too in MTL......

hard to complain too much after todays this pleasant surprise though :lol:

BGM (airport) has recorded 17 inches of snow over the last 3 days. Considerably less here in the valley, but pretty unusual for us to participate this actively in a LES event.

Always nice to have snowcover in December. I'm not quite capable of fully understanding long range maps...the big weekend storm will probably be mostly rain in the

S. Tier of NYS? (please say no!!)

BGM (airport) has recorded 17 inches of snow over the last 3 days. Considerably less here in the valley, but pretty unusual for us to participate this actively in a LES event.

Always nice to have snowcover in December. I'm not quite capable of fully understanding long range maps...the big weekend storm will probably be mostly rain in the

S. Tier of NYS? (please say no!!)

Probably too early to say. The models solutions range from a Chigago special (Euro) to a big hit for I-81 corridor (Ukie,Nogaps). GFS is in the middle of the road. Lots of model runs to go. My personal rule is wait until the event is 72-96 hours away before getting too excited either way. Can't tell you how many times Buffalo has been buried with snow on a 136-hour model run, only to end up high and dry or wet...

So glad to find the folks from EasternUS Weather Forums!

Here is what Montreal's "2-4" cm looked like at noon today. Still light and blowing snow now.

10-15cm more tonight And then....there is the weekend even to look forward to.

:thumbsup: can you say jealous? We got screwed here in Ottawa. I can't remember the last time Montreal got so much snow, while we got barely anything. February 2007 I think. Congrats anyways, and welcome!

LMAO

environment canada just issued a Snowfall Warning .....now..........as of 1135AM for montreal

it started snowing about 18 hours ago

total PR nightmare

Huge bust for Environment Canada, but then again, they are never bullish about cold and snow until it is right on top of them.

I'm concerned about a bust for Ottawa/Montreal with regard to Sunday's storm, although I would settle for a foot.

Archived