• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
KOKC (Oklahoma City airport) heat: hottest July, August, and summer on record

snowmanwx

Maximum temperature ≥ 90 °F every day in June; when will it break?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The next day with a high temperature < 90 °F at KOKC (Will Rogers World Airport, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) will fall into which of these date ranges:

• 1-10 August 2011
    • 11-20 August 2011
    • 21-31 August 2011
    • 1-10 September 2011
    • 11-20 September 2011
    • 21-30 September 2011
    • 1-10 October 2011
    • 11-20 October 2011
    • 21-31 October 2011
    • 1 November 2011 or later

The temperature at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City soared to 90 °F or higher every day in June, a feat never heretofore accomplished at the airport. Thus far in July, the temperature has reached 100 °F or higher every single day. Today, 9 July 2011, the temperature soared to 110 °F, tying the highest temperature ever measured at the airport, previously set on 6 July 1996 and 2 August 1980. The airport lies on the southwest side of the city, generally outside the urban heat island. This location allows the temperature at the airport to drop at night generally well below the temperatures prevalent in the parts of the City where the people mostly live.

The forecast calls for some moderation to the intense heat, generally around 104 °F for highs more or less indefinitely. Your challenge: discern when the next real break in the heat occurs: a full calendar day without a temperature exceeding 90 °F. (Note: an overnight low at or above 90 °F, which theoretically might occur in the urban heat core, does not count.)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's more impressive is that every Oklahoma mesonet site was above 100 degrees for the high today, a feat that had never been accomplished since the mesonet went online in 1998. Areas of western Oklahoma and south central Kansas were into the 110's this afternoon. Even as I am writing this, it is still 94 degrees at 1 am in Wichita. To think that the models are progging an even stronger ridge to build in late next week into next weekend.

As for when Oklahoma City will fall below 90 for the high, I voted for the 11-20 Sept time period as that usually seems to be when the first good cool shot comes. At this point, I think its going to take a tropical system to break the back of this heat in the KS/OK/TX area.

What's more impressive is that every Oklahoma mesonet site was above 100 degrees for the high today, a feat that had never been accomplished since the mesonet went online in 1998. Areas of western Oklahoma and south central Kansas were into the 110's this afternoon. Even as I am writing this, it is still 94 degrees at 1 am in Wichita. To think that the models are progging an even stronger ridge to build in late next week into next weekend.

As for when Oklahoma City will fall below 90 for the high, I voted for the 11-20 Sept time period as that usually seems to be when the first good cool shot comes. At this point, I think its going to take a tropical system to break the back of this heat in the KS/OK/TX area.

Happened again today:

today.TAIR.max.grad.png?1310349304758

OKC has reached 100 for the 13th day in a row now. The record is 22 days, which will easily be broken.

Today is the 21st day of 100+ this year. The record is 50.

We've hit 90+ for 41 days. The record is 71, and considering we still have 50 days with the AVERAGE high >90, I think that one is sewn up also

OKC has reached 100 for the 13th day in a row now. The record is 22 days, which will easily be broken.

We've hit 90+ for 41 days. The record is 71, and considering we still have 50 days with the AVERAGE high >90, I think that one is sewn up also

Don't you think it's a little early to say that? Sounds awful...at least it looks like some drought-ravaged areas of N. Texas and Oklahoma will be seeing a little relief soon.

post-558-0-67473100-1310423736.gif

Don't you think it's a little early to say that? Sounds awful...at least it looks like some drought-ravaged areas of N. Texas and Oklahoma will be seeing a little relief soon.

post-558-0-67473100-1310423736.gif

Not at all. It's only 9 more days, during which time model guidance only intensifies the ridge

I don't think the consecutive 100+ days record is a lock yet. Look what happened in W OK and the Panhandle today. As that weak disturbance moves NE around the ridge tomorrow, we could have some convection around these parts. All it would take is a badly-timed storm one day to keep our highs in the 90s, especially on a day like today when the "ambient" highs were only 101-102 F. By no means am I saying it won't happen; I just wouldn't count on it until the ridge restrengthens and shifts back west towards this weekend.

What's kind of irritating is we'd already about have it if it weren't for one postfrontal day in late June. IIRC, there were about 7 consecutive 100+ days before that.

The total annual 100+ record looks fairly promising, though, given the medium-range forecast pattern. We only need about half the days remaining in JUL/AUG to get that one sewn up.

As for 90+: I assume you're referring to consecutive, and not total? 70 total has got to be fairly common. Even consecutive does seem like a near-lock, barring a tropical system.

Those are indeed consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥90°F, the record streak running 23 June 1980 through 1 September 1980 inclusive. The current streak of days with maximum temperature ≥90°F at OKC began 1 June 2011 and still continues.

The all-time record for total days with maximum temperature ≥90°F in a calendar year is 113 in 1998. Ten days in April and May 2011 reached ≥90°F at KOKC. The first day ≥90°F this year was 3 April 2011.

In other record news, the average temperature for 1-10 July 2011 at KOKC exceeds the average for the hottest month of record at Will Rogers World Airport, July 1980. A previous Weather Bureau Office at NW 19th St & Classen Blvd was open during the terrible summer of 1936.

Here's a map of the temperatures throughout Oklahoma at Mesonet sites (not including KOKC) on 9 July 2011:

http://www.srh.noaa....1_hilo_temp.gif

070911_hilo_temp.gif

I don't think the consecutive 100+ days record is a lock yet. Look what happened in W OK and the Panhandle today. As that weak disturbance moves NE around the ridge tomorrow, we could have some convection around these parts. All it would take is a badly-timed storm one day to keep our highs in the 90s, especially on a day like today when the "ambient" highs were only 101-102 F. By no means am I saying it won't happen; I just wouldn't count on it until the ridge restrengthens and shifts back west towards this weekend.

What's kind of irritating is we'd already about have it if it weren't for one postfrontal day in late June. IIRC, there were about 7 consecutive 100+ days before that.

The total annual 100+ record looks fairly promising, though, given the medium-range forecast pattern. We only need about half the days remaining in JUL/AUG to get that one sewn up.

As for 90+: I assume you're referring to consecutive, and not total? 70 total has got to be fairly common. Even consecutive does seem like a near-lock, barring a tropical system.

Yeah sorry I didn't include that, but I meant consecutive 90+ days. Definitely seems like a lock IMO. Like I said, even the average is over 90 through most of August.

It's true that convection could screw it up. The biggest risks I see are actually today and tomorrow. If we can get past that, at least 5 days is a lock, and at least a couple more after seems likely

That's exactly what I was thinking. Models have been hinting at some real convection possibilities in the region later today and tomorrow.

This may be the end of the road, boys... direct hit on the airport about 20 minutes ago, and still a widespread, deep Cu field covering central OK.

FWIW, it feels unequivocally worse now after the passing of a shower (94/70) than it has any day in July so far.

This may be the end of the road, boys... direct hit on the airport about 20 minutes ago, and still a widespread, deep Cu field covering central OK.

FWIW, it feels unequivocally worse now after the passing of a shower (94/70) than it has any day in July so far.

Norman spiked to a dp of 74.1. Definitely much more oppressive feel than any other day.

But yeah, good call. Looks like convection just ruined that streak

I really believe that the exceptionally dry land surface has noticeably helped temperatures out in recent days and weeks. If storm coverage becomes widespread enough and drops significant (> 0.25") rain over a large portion of the area today, this could also help to hold air temperatures down a degree or two over the next couple days, at least. Not that we don't have plenty of scorchers yet to come, but if we're talking about besting the absurd 50-day record from 1980, every day counts.

Archived