• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
KOKC (Oklahoma City airport) heat: hottest July, August, and summer on record

snowmanwx

Maximum temperature ≥ 90 °F every day in June; when will it break?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The next day with a high temperature < 90 °F at KOKC (Will Rogers World Airport, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) will fall into which of these date ranges:

• 1-10 August 2011
    • 11-20 August 2011
    • 21-31 August 2011
    • 1-10 September 2011
    • 11-20 September 2011
    • 21-30 September 2011
    • 1-10 October 2011
    • 11-20 October 2011
    • 21-31 October 2011
    • 1 November 2011 or later

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is the mood of the people out there?

The weather is about all people can talk about here. While our drought is only "severe" it is creating havoc with normal gardening and landscaping. I would say it has people a bit on edge, and somewhat depressed that there is no break.

I think at this point people are looking to the calendar more than the forecast.

KOKC reached 110°F today, marking the fifth consecutive day with maximum temperature ≥108°F. This summer heat ranks among the most intense and persistent ever known in these parts. Tomorrow and Monday provide no relief, and NWS OUN posted a fire weather watch for Monday. Intense heat, fierce winds, and lightning make for an interesting day.

How is the mood of the people out there?

The weather is about all people can talk about here. While our drought is only "severe" it is creating havoc with normal gardening and landscaping. I would say it has people a bit on edge, and somewhat depressed that there is no break.

I think at this point people are looking to the calendar more than the forecast.

You know, I heard more people complaining about it at the end of June/beginning of July. Now a lot of people have resigned themselves to this historic summer, and to a certain extent have gotten used to the heat. I have to say, whoever said you can't tell the difference between 110 & 100 was wrong. 100 feels hot, but 110 feels like the sun is going to melt you.

Wildlife is having a tough time, and it goes without saying that farmers and ranchers are finding it difficult. Supplies of hay are running low, and there are record numbers of cattle being sold because ranchers don't have feed to give them.

I have to say, whoever said you can't tell the difference between 110 & 100 was wrong. 100 feels hot, but 110 feels like the sun is going to melt you.

Oh freaking absolutely. Once you get past 100 it feels like the discomfort escalates on a logarithmic basis. :axe:

Today with a stiff breeze at 107, it was a little unnerving to think about what would happen if a wildfire got started.

Strong SW downsloping wind in Central OK today with clear skies should allow temperatures to soar. The only thing that could inhibit extreme temperatures is slightly higher dewpoints than previous days that reached 110, but those should mix out this afternoon.

Any temperature over 110 at KOKC would be the hottest temperature recorded there in nearly 75 years. 113 is the all-time high.

This morning's 12z OUN sounding wasn't quite as warm as some of the days that saw the highest temps of late. It will be a tall order for KOKC to exceed 110 F today, though with the downslope it's possible. My guess as of 11am is 108 F.

So annoyed with yesterday. Could've slapped two more days onto our record week-long streak of >105 F. In case anyone missed it, here's how isolated the clouds and showers were yesterday:

post-972-0-15242300-1312818509.png

I subscribe to the Oklahoma Climate Survey's "Mesonet Ticker" ... today's Ticker states that the statewide mean temperature of 88.9 degrees for Oklahoma for July 2011 makes that month the warmest on record for all months for all the states since 1895 (so the warmest among 1399 months since 1895 multiplied by the lower 48 states = 67,152 values). The second-warmest by this measure was July 1954's 88.1-degree Oklahoma statewide mean temperature.

Yesterday, the temperature at KOKC reached a maximum of 95°F at 6:40 PM CDT (17:09 local solar time...still late) on account of small but persistent cold pools from thunderstorms that produced little actual rain. Most of the state easily topped 100°F, but that heat relief was nice. That means:

39 consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥96°F on 29 June-6 August 2011 breaks the record of 35 consecutive days on 24 July-27 August 1980.

7 consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥105°F on 31 July-6 August 2011 breaks the record of 6 consecutive days on 8-13 August 1936.

6 consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥106°F on 1-6 August 2011 breaks the record of 5 consecutive days on 9-13 August 1936.

6 consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥107°F on 1-6 August 2011 breaks the record of 5 consecutive days on 9-13 August 1936.

5 consecutive days with maximum temperature ≥108°F on 2-6 August 2011 breaks the record of 5 consecutive days on 9-12 August 1936.

The record streaks of maximum temperatures ≥95°F and minimum temperatures ≥74°F yet persist.

KOKC has tied the records for total days with maximum temperature ≥108°F, ≥109°F, and ≥110°F: 7, 5, and 3 days, respectively, all set in 1936.

How are people coping?

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-homeless-cope-with-heat/article/3592102?custom_click=pod_headline_health

I subscribe to the Oklahoma Climate Survey's "Mesonet Ticker" ... today's Ticker states that the statewide mean temperature of 88.9 degrees for Oklahoma for July 2011 makes that month the warmest on record for all months for all the states since 1895 (so the warmest among 1399 months since 1895 multiplied by the lower 48 states = 67,152 values). The second-warmest by this measure was July 1954's 88.1-degree Oklahoma statewide mean temperature.

That is truly remarkable. You'd think we'd never have a chance against the hottest months in AZ or NV, but it's easy to forget how much of those states are high in elevation.

Record high has already been broken once again today as of 3pm. The "year" column on the list of August record highs at OKC is going to look pretty boring by the time this month is over. Also of note is that we're maintaining a bit more humidity than usual today, so the heat index is currently higher than the air temperature (107/62 = 111).

Any link to the story?

Today's high of 108°F marks the eighth day this year with maximum temperature ≥108°F, including the record streak of 5 days on 2-6 August. This count breaks the previous record for days with maxumum temperature ≥108°F, seven days in 1936.

Good info! If you don't mind my asking, where are you finding these detailed records back that far?

Good info! If you don't mind my asking, where are you finding these detailed records back that far?

Oklahoma Climatological Survey

http://climate.ok.gov/cgi-bin/public/climate.timeseries.one.cgi

which I've partially patched with data manually extracted from Climatological Data issues (stored on my hard drive; NCDC image archives before 1992 except Storm Data remain unavailable since March...bummer, especially now).

Then I ran some analyses of the daily data to extract the records I wanted to see.

Today's morning low of ≤73°F breaks the streak of days with minimum temperature ≥74°F. The new record of 27 consecutive days, 13 July-8 August 2011, replaces the old record of 19 consecutive days, 24 June-12 July 1933.

The records for minimum temperatures ≥73°F and ≥72°F stand at 45 days, 8 July-21 August 1934, but this year features only 27 consecutive days meeting either criterion thus far (not including today).

Yesterday also marked the record 41st consecutive day with maximum temperature ≥95°F, and this streak should continue today. The old record was 35 consecutive days: 24 July-27 August 1980.

Today's morning low of ≤73°F breaks the streak of days with minimum temperature ≥74°F. The new record of 27 consecutive days, 13 July-8 August 2011, replaces the old record of 19 consecutive days, 24 June-12 July 1933.

The records for minimum temperatures ≥73°F and ≥72°F stand at 45 days, 8 July-21 August 1934, but this year features only 27 consecutive days meeting either criterion thus far (not including today).

Yesterday also marked the record 41st consecutive day with maximum temperature ≥95°F, and this streak should continue today. The old record was 35 consecutive days: 24 July-27 August 1980.

With the shorter days, it's going to be tough to continue to get such warm overnight lows. We're now on par with mid to late April in terms of the solar day. Lots of time for radiational cooling.

Oklahoma Climatological Survey

http://climate.ok.go...eseries.one.cgi

which I've partially patched with data manually extracted from Climatological Data issues (stored on my hard drive; NCDC image archives before 1992 except Storm Data remain unavailable since March...bummer, especially now).

Then I ran some analyses of the daily data to extract the records I wanted to see.

Wow, no idea how I've managed to miss that after living here and using OCS data for six years. Thanks!

heavy rain and 70 at OKC right now ... possible that after 71 days, tying the record, and a seemingly endless stretch of 90+ ahead, today may break the streak

Definitely a candidate for one of the most epic wx fails of the year. :axe:

Starting to wonder if the runner-up in that category may be our possible failure to break the 50-day annual >100 F record that everyone here has been so certain of.

Archived