• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rank your favorite heat waves

forkyfork

early july 99: had highs near/over 100 with mid - upper 70s dewpoints for 4 days. i remember the forecasts getting hotter and hotter as we approached it; my favorite kind of heat wave

july 95: did not have the duration of july 99 or august 06, but dewpoints in the 80s at kewr made up for it

august 06: our most recent impressive heat wave... also came off a hot july

august 01: ewr hit 105, tying its all time record high

july 2010: several days of 100 at kewr was impressive, but low dewpoints kind of tainted it

I remember a 100 degree day in July 1957...That's the earliest 100 degree day I can remember...The heat wave on July 2-4, 1966 is my favorite...July 13-21, 1977 is second and July 7-16 1993...

From June 27-July 13, 1966 NYC saw 16-18 days 90+...4 of 17 days 100+...103 on 7/3 and 105 in Newark...

From July 13-24, 1977 NYC saw 10-12 days 90+...3 of 4 days 100+...104 on the 21st...Newark was 102?

From July 7-16, 1993 NYC saw 13-15 days 90+...3 straight days 100+...105 Newark 7/8/93

EWR Jul - Aug 2002

7/29 98 79

7/30 96 81

7/31 96 75

8/1 98 78

8/ 2 96 70

8/3 89 71

8/4 90 76

8/5 92 77

8/ 6 81 65

8/ 7 81 63

8/8 82 65

8/ 9 86 64

8/10 90 64

8/11 91 67

8/12 93 70

8/13 100 75

8/14 94 76

8/15 93 74

8/16 93 79

8/17 94 77

8/18 97 77

8/19 96 76

April 2002 was particularly impressive for how early in the season it was. Plus we got a pretty amazing storm to end the heatwave. I remember one day during 1995 when the hit index hit 129 in the late afternoon/early evening when the humidity spiked as temps were still above 100.

APRIL 1976 and 2002.SEPT 1983 it hit 99 on SEPT 11th that year.JULY 15th 1995 was the hottest day of my lifetime.104 temp with a dew of 81.

July 1977..wow..what a boiling city..Summer of Sam..blackout,..torrid heat..last time we hit 104..finally broke the last week of July

July 1995..the hottest and I mean hottest day I could ever remember July 15h..102..with dew points in the 80's..wow!!

July 1966..Hot Town Summer In The City..the number one song that summer and early July didn't disapoint

early july 99: had highs near/over 100 with mid - upper 70s dewpoints for 4 days. i remember the forecasts getting hotter and hotter as we approached it; my favorite kind of heat wave

july 95: did not have the duration of july 99 or august 06, but dewpoints in the 80s at kewr made up for it

july 2010: several days of 100 at kewr was impressive, but low dewpoints kind of tainted it

1. July 2010 remains unparalleled here because 3 days out of 4 were 100+ degrees!

2. July 1993 which had 2 days in a row over 100 here, three in a row at NYC and five in a row at EWR!

3. July 1999, had two days in a row of over 100 at NYC and one here (102).

It has to hit 100 or higher here for it to be historic. You can get 100 degree days at EWR and even NYC, but JFK is the real acid test!

heat had nothing to do with the 2003 blackout

It did occur on the hottest day of the summer here, it hit 96 and no sea breeze :) But yea it wasn't due to a very high level of heat, but it was one of my favorite summer days of all time-- we should have a metro areawide black out every few years, they're awesome!

No way low dew points are what make the heat pure which is why the only heatwave I will rank higher than July 2010 is July 1966. Temps rise faster and the heat is unadulterated :)

November 1965...:guitar:

A widespread east coast power outage in the middle of winter, especially during a historic snowstorm or big time arctic outbreak, would be catastrophic on a massive scale-- much more than any such thing in the summer. I wonder when the last time was that happened?

A widespread east coast power outage in the middle of winter, especially during a historic snowstorm or big time arctic outbreak, would be catastrophic on a massive scale-- much more than any such thing in the summer. I wonder when the last time was that happened?

lets aim for it this winter. 24+ inches with cold temps, high winds, no power, and a huge subsidence zone over earthlights house which gives him 90 degree temps. Sounds like the perfect storm.

heat had nothing to do with the 2003 blackout

I disagree on this statement. While heat probably wasn't the cause of the blackout, it was a major factor in the '03 blackout. It occurred during the late afternoon, which is peak energy use because of air conditioners (the hottest part of the day). Whatever was the ultimate trigger for the blackout (sagging wire/falling tree branch) would not have caused a black out of the entire northeast US/ southeast Canada unless the grid was being at full capacity mainly because of the widespread use of A/C's.

In other words: The grid was experiencing near record energy use, so the entire system was prone to a systematic collapse basically cause there was no more "slack" in the system to take on any disturbances. One such event took place in on the day of the blackout. The switching stations rerouted electricity onto other line, causing those lines to be overwhelmed and fail because of over use. When these lines failed the electricity was rerouted again to other lines, causing them to fail. Wash, rinse, repeat. This phenomenon is called a cascade failure, and that is what happens to energy grids in situations like August '03.

I disagree on this statement. While heat probably wasn't the cause of the blackout, it was a major factor in the '03 blackout. It occurred during the late afternoon, which is peak energy use because of air conditioners (the hottest part of the day). Whatever was the ultimate trigger for the blackout (sagging wire/falling tree branch) would not have caused a black out of the entire northeast US/ southeast Canada unless the grid was being at full capacity mainly because of the widespread use of A/C's.

In other words: The grid was experiencing near record energy use, so the entire system was prone to a systematic collapse basically cause there was no more "slack" in the system to take on any disturbances. One such event took place in on the day of the blackout. The switching stations rerouted electricity onto other line, causing those lines to be overwhelmed and fail because of over use. When these lines failed the electricity was rerouted again to other lines, causing them to fail. Wash, rinse, repeat. This phenomenon is called a cascade failure, and that is what happens to energy grids in situations like August '03.

Are you in the energy field? this was a great explanation, thank you.

Summer 2010.....no specific dates, the whole thing was basically a heat wave, I'd say that was the best weather I've experienced living here. I was just in ^___^ mode all summer long.

That's one of the reasons why I want to move to the south, I need that every year lol.

Archived