Newest Member
    joxey
Rank 'Em

TheTrials

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you were older, you would rank Blizz 96 higher

yes and i didnt have the ability to track it or even watch the weather channel lol... It just happened. Even so, i think Dec 26th would still beat it. Between the rates and the wind and the unknown amount, it was epic. But 96' would be a close second.

the trademark for my weather enthusiasm was sadly Hurricane Isabel. Too late for PDII -_-

yes and i didnt have the ability to track it or even watch the weather channel lol... It just happened. Even so, i think Dec 26th would still beat it. Between the rates and the wind and the unknown amount, it was epic. But 96' would be a close second.

the trademark for my weather enthusiasm was sadly Hurricane Isabel. Too late for PDII -_-

I had compuserve in 96, there were a few weather nuts on there. A little too early to see the models online I think, at least I didn't know they were there. The weather channel was really good back then and craig allen was all over that storm from a few days out.

I remember the local forecast saying total accumulations of between 2 and 2 and a half feet possible. I was in the 7th grade. That storm was epic. The rates that afternoon were jaw dropping.

I remember the local forecast saying total accumulations of between 2 and 2 and a half feet possible. I was in the 7th grade. That storm was epic. The rates that afternoon were jaw dropping.

The forecasts went up and up every 6 hours for the final 48 hours of the forecast. Just a weenies dream, especially the northern zones where it looked like they would be left out but soon everyone was 2 feet plus.

The forecasts went up and up every 6 hours for the final 48 hours of the forecast. Just a weenies dream, especially the northern zones where it looked like they would be left out but soon everyone was 2 feet plus.

Didnt we have an ice accumulation right afterwards too? I was in high school, pretty sure we had the whole week off. Twc was playing on my tv for like 3 days straight, my parents wanted to kill me.

Didnt we have an ice accumulation right afterwards too? I was in high school, pretty sure we had the whole week off. Twc was playing on my tv for like 3 days straight, my parents wanted to kill me.

I was talking about 96, not pd2 sorry lol

Jan. 26-27, 2011 had the sickest snow rates from 11pm-3am. I couldn't believe how fast the snow piled up. The thunder and lightning was insane also.

I remember texting and speaking to Sundog and others at 1am and we were all in awe of what was occurring outside. A storm I will never ever forget in my lifetime.

Jan. 1996 is also etched in my memory forever. Just an incredible storm with widespread 20"-35" for an insane amount of people. Not just a tiny localized area of NJ, like Dec., 2010.

Jan. 96 caused the most havoc and had the most affect out of any storm. Just paralyzed the entire east coast.

I think in Earthlight's area on into Monmouth county....Dec 26, 2010 has to be up there, and likely #1. I mean that storm had insane rates combined with wind. A true blizzard.

Areas to the west of me over the Watchung mountains into Somerset county got completely screwed in subsidence..it was a very tight gradient. But I remember thinking during the storm that it couldn't possibly get much better than that. Insane winds, insane rates, and the deformation band wasn't budging. It wasn't terribly short duration, either, Definitely #1 in my book..

Areas to the west of me over the Watchung mountains into Somerset county got completely screwed in subsidence..it was a very tight gradient. But I remember thinking during the storm that it couldn't possibly get much better than that. Insane winds, insane rates, and the deformation band wasn't budging. It wasn't terribly short duration, either, Definitely #1 in my book..

Yeah you got completely destroyed. You could see it coming too in the H7 fields. That back bent warm front at 700mb just stayed and pivoted overhead. A nice lesson for those with a QPF fetish. In winter storms, I'd rather be in the deformation area instead of the QPF bullseye. Most of the time...that's the winning spot.

<BR>Yeah you got completely destroyed. You could see it coming too in the H7 fields. That back bent warm front at 700mb just stayed and pivoted overhead. A nice lesson for those with a QPF fetish. In winter storms, I'd rather be in the deformation area instead of the QPF bullseye. Most of the time...that's the winning spot.<BR>

Which is why 96 was so special, there were hours of over running from WAA that gave big totals on their own without banding. Then the banding kicked in and it got even better. Check out these radar images.

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/1996/07-Jan-96-NationalRadarImagery.html

Jan. 26-27, 2011 had the sickest snow rates from 11pm-3am. I couldn't believe how fast the snow piled up. The thunder and lightning was insane also.

I remember texting and speaking to Sundog and others at 1am and we were all in awe of what was occurring outside. A storm I will never ever forget in my lifetime.

An unexpected gift. But the one fly in the ointment that month was the near miss on Jan. 11-12, where areas just to our east and northeast (Suffolk County, and virtually all of Conn.), got blasted.

December 26-26, 2010 was a real blizzard...PD2 wasn't as bad where I lived on Staten Island...It's in my top ten though...This picture in my back yard on 12/27 shows the snow was up to the bottom of my pick nick table...The drifts were like old times...

96 blizzard will probably be #1 for a long time in Monmouth County (clarification: Monmouth County save for the SE shore towns, Dec 2010 is their new best), high winds, snow totals of 30-32", but as far as what I remember and experienced, Dec 2010 takes the cake. I have very little memory of 1996.

1. December 26th-27th 2010 - 25" IMBY, raging winds, several hours of 2-3"/hr rates, drifts to 8-10ft, and the longest I've ever witness my area being shut down. The main road connected to our neighborhood stayed desolate for about 24 hours after the snow stopped, which is quite remarkable, usually its plowed anywhere between 3-6 hours after depending on the storm. I saw helicopter rescues off route 18, and Eatontown's rt 36 was closed for 3 days. Roads around Belmar, an area which likely approached 3 feet of snow in spots, was essentially at a stand still for 5 days - complete with cop cars stranded in the middle of the highway. Absolutely astonishing to see the area so dead for so long.

2. PD II - 24" IMBY, long duration event, snow started Sunday around 3pm with temps in the upper 10s, finished Monday about 5-6pm. Pretty good winds and drifting.

3. December 19th-20th 2009 - 22.5" IMBY, and the start of the the best 2 year winter stretch in Monmouth County arguably in over 100 years.

4. January 2005 - the morning of the snowstorm is quite clear to me; it was -2 degrees, but temps rose rapidly to 32 prior to the energy transfer to the 2ndary low. BLM actually went to RN temporarily. Ended up with 19" total.

5. December 2003 - featured thundersnow with vivid lightning at the height of the storm, rates of 3"/hr for a couple hours in the deformation banding. GSP was impassable for a time; NJ declared state of emergency. Finished with 18", massive gradient in Monmouth, only a few inches on the shore.

1) Snowicane of February, 25, 2010: 26" of paste, winds over 30mph, staying all snow while everyone rained, epic journey home from VT at 4am.

2) Blizzard of 1996: the first snowstorm I remember, closed school for 3 days, absolute nightmare to dig out

3) Valentine's Day 2007 (Middlebury, VT): 25" snowfall, temperatures dropping into low teens, students safely jumping off roofs

4) January 27, 2011: Earthlight's rainstorm, 14" snowfall with thunder, crazy sleet, surprise the day before with a few inches

5) February 2006: 20" powder, record-breaking for KNYC, long night with friends watching the drifting snow

My personal top five:

1.) January 26-27, 2011

2.) February 10, 2010

3.) PDII

4.) February 11-12, 2006

5.) January 22-23, 2005

Blizzard of 1996 isn't up there because I was too young to remember it, but I'm sure if I had remembered it it would've been number one. December 30, 2000 also would've been up there but I was away on vacation that weekend so I missed it, and I was still pretty young.

:(

That nightmare of a storm, watching that deformation band just stall literally a few miles to my east, will forever be played in my mind.

:(

That nightmare of a storm, watching that deformation band just stall literally a few miles to my east, will forever be played in my mind.

Yeah that was the worst storm of the winter here, overall a big disappointment in terms of amounts. Still awesome winds, gusting to near 65 mph in S Westchester...Hastings got a 61mph gust I think in heavy snow....I'll never forget the walk I took on 12/26 with a longtime friend, but the subsidence totally excluded areas on either side of the megaband. I still rank 2/25/10 much higher as well as Jan 96. A 13" storm doesn't make my Top 5.

I recall 96 as a big storm for my NW NJ area. It started slow, but buried us overnight.

The dec 2010 blizz totally screwed my area as i was on the west side of it here in hunterdon county.

For recent memory, that really impressed me the most, it had to be http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/11289-nyc-area-january-26-27-bomb-discussion-and-obs-part-4/

We got nailed, and man, reading all the obs of 5-6 inches an hr was really impressive. Look at that h20 vapor loop to start the thread. It doesn't get any better than that (maybe if it was slower moving). But what a great loop. With all the TSSN, it was quite a storm, and one that i wont forget for a long time.

Dec 2010. People that live along the gsp for years say that was the worse blizzard they experience . People where snowed in, literally . I will never forget what I saw plowing that night. Gsp a parking lot for two days. The state towing cars to the art center. It was a lake shore drive. I remember talking to john and gkrangers that saying hands down the worse we ever seen. Local stations on xmass eve saying no snow and 24 hours later 12-18. Just a unreal turn if event. Plowing one drive lane and hanging ur head out the window to see backing up, and having a. 25 of snow on ur next pass. Winds made it impossible to see.

Dec 2010. People that live along the gsp for years say that was the worse blizzard they experience . People where snowed in, literally . I will never forget what I saw plowing that night. Gsp a parking lot for two days. The state towing cars to the art center. It was a lake shore drive. I remember talking to john and gkrangers that saying hands down the worse we ever seen. Local stations on xmass eve saying no snow and 24 hours later 12-18. Just a unreal turn if event. Plowing one drive lane and hanging ur head out the window to see backing up, and having a. 25 of snow on ur next pass. Winds made it impossible to see.

I remember when the EC had something like a 960ish Lo offshore for several runs in a row. To get that solution that many times was epic. And it really came thru. What a storm, not in my area, but for everywhere else!

it's funny to see how jan 27, 2011 high on some lists and completely missing on others (for obvious reasons).

i remember every big storm since 1978.

i'd probably put january 27, 2011 and dec 2000 in a tie for 2nd.

1. 1996

2. jan 27, 2011

2a. dec2000.

3. feb 1978

4. all the rest.

Yeah Jan 27 2011 was a great storm but not good enough for top 5 here.

Yeah Jan 27 2011 was a great storm but not good enough for top 5 here.

Kind of similiar to feb 10 2010 in our backyard......front end dump in the morning....sleet/drizzel during the day...at night started with thunder sleet then to heavy snow.......accumlations where also close in both those event in monmouth county

I remember when the EC had something like a 960ish Lo offshore for several runs in a row. To get that solution that many times was epic. And it really came thru. What a storm, not in my area, but for everywhere else!

Yeah i forgot about that......that was a stressful two weeks for this hobby. The 20th storm which the EC brought back, then lost. And the blizzard as models lost it getting closer to the event, just to bring in back 48 hrs out

it's funny to see how jan 27, 2011 high on some lists and completely missing on others (for obvious reasons).

i remember every big storm since 1978.

i'd probably put january 27, 2011 and dec 2000 in a tie for 2nd.

1. 1996

2. jan 27, 2011

2a. dec2000.

3. feb 1978

4. all the rest.

What about Boxing Day 2010? :unsure:

I'll give my top 5 in chronological order.

The winter of 1977-1978 was the most memorable of the 1970's for snow .

Although the February 1978 blizzard was the most intense of the 1970's,my

favorite storm of that winter was the surprise snowstorm of 1/19-1/20.

I went to bed that evening listening to NOAA Weather Radio calling for rain.

The next morning I could not believe that there was over a foot of snow on the ground

and school was closed.This is at the top of my list for all time favorite weather surprises.

Even though the April 6,1982 blizzard happened during the spring,I am including it on my

list.This was the most out of season storm that I have ever experienced.The blizzard

featured whiteout conditions with vivid CG lightning and April afternoon temperatures

falling through the 20's.This was the only blizzard that I have experienced with 3

consecutive daily record low temperatures being set.

The February 11-12,1983 blizzard went from flurries to heavy snow here in Long Beach

between 1 and 2 pm.Before the snow began, there was a dark overcast to the south

over the ocean for several hours and a much lighter overcast to the north over CT.

The January 7-8,1996 blizzard was favorite snowstorm of the 1990's and was the

highlight of that amazing year.

The December 26-27,2010 blizzard was my favorite blizzard of the 2000's so far.

One of the best model roller coaster rides along with a happy ending.

Archived