• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rank 'Em

TheTrials

Here are mine, obviously they are going to be location dependent, especially earthlight who got 30 plus inches out of every storm last year :P

1) Blizz 96

2) PDII

3) December 2003

4) January 27, 2011

5) December 2000

For me, duration of storm, amount of snow, and the storm occuring during the day are my main criteria. I thought about 12/27/10, and because the wind messed up the accumulations and a lot of it fell at night, it just didn't make my top five, altough it was much longer than December 2000, that storm had close to 4 inch an hour rates and was entirely during the day with beautiful dendrites and snow growth. Looking forward to reading everyone else's.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 7-8, 1996

February 3-4, 1961

December 26-27, 2010

February 6-7, 1978

February 11-12, 1983

I lived in Brooklyn until November 1996...I've been on Staten Island since...

I wish I would have seen 83 and 61. Was alive for 83, but no where close to remembering it.

Ok. I'll pick Jan. 1996 and Jan. 1996.

I hear ya, nothing will ever come close. Duration, cold temps, wind, snow accumulations, beautiful snow growth, it had everything and it leads the pack by ten miles. Its a 100 year storm without a doubt.

I wish I would have seen 83 and 61. Was alive for 83, but no where close to remembering it.

the Feb. 83 storm started around 2pm and snowed hard after Sunset and ended around dawn the next morning...

the Feb. 61 storm started around 6pm and changed to sleet and rain in the early morning hrs along the coast...It changed back to snow in the morning and ended around Sunset that evening...

the Feb. 83 storm started around 2pm and snowed hard after Sunset and ended around dawn the next morning...

the Feb. 61 storm started around 6pm and changed to sleet and rain in the early morning hrs along the coast...It changed back to snow in the morning and ended around Sunset that evening...

the buzz around 83 is how it started to rip pretty much right when it started and didn't let up till it ended and it had prolific thunder snow. Did you see any of that?

12/26-27/10JAN 1996-bigggest accumulation.FEB 1978FEB 1983JAN 26-27 2011The Boxing day blizzard last year dropped 22 inches which was not the most I have ever seen for total accumulation.I rank it as #1 because of the 65+MPH gusts and 45+MPH Sustained winds at the height of the storm,the 8 foot drifts and my former car the honda accord being completly buried in snow.JAN 1996 and FEB 1978 had the greatest winds I had seen but this storm surpassed both of those.I was outside during the height of the JAN 1996 storm and as bad as I thought that was,the Boxing day storm crushed it.My block was not plowed for 6 days.I had to have kids shovel 5 foot drifts on my front sidewalk.It was incredible and wont be surpassed in my lifetime.I will see 40 inches of snow in one storm before I see winds like that again.One bad thing was the fact that the storm didnt stall or slow down,had it done that,earthlight may have seen 40+ inches.WHat was incredible about JAN 26-27 was the fact that I went to work in the subways at 12AM when the real intense snow was falling and was underground until 230AM.WHen I went above ground the snow was just about over and I was stunned at how much fell in that short amount of time.When I got to QUeens later on,my car was buried under a huge plow wake and I was stunned at how much fell in a short timeframe.The Thundersleet and snow was like FEB 1983,and that cell with rotation south of Brooklyn and Queens was insane.FEB 1978 was amazing as we got the majority of snow from the backlash of the storm overnight as the heaviest daytime snowfall was on Long island.FEB 1983 was like a 17 hour snow squall.JAN 1996 will never be topped as far as amounts go.Incredible 28-34 inches boroughwide long duration as well.nice backlash.Bitter cold temps as well.

Jan. 7-8, 1996

Dec. 26-27, 2010

Feb. 6-7, 1978

Feb. 15-17, 2003

March 3-4, 1960 (when I was living in Glen Cove, in the northern portion of Nassau County, where I would estimate that we rec'd about 20," with considerable blowing and drifting). This also was a fairly long duration event.

Jan. 7-8, 1996

Dec. 26-27, 2010

Feb. 6-7, 1978

Feb. 15-17, 2003

March 3-4, 1960 (when I was living in Glen Cove, in the northern portion of Nassau County, where I would estimate that we rec'd about 20," with considerable blowing and drifting). This also was a fairly long duration event.

Jan 26-27, 2011 also had 16-20" for NE Queens and western Nassau.

Jan 1996 is Number 1. Unfortunately, I was in Palm Springs for PD2. I have to put March 93 on there.. Yes, I know it wasn't a ton of snow in these parts. I think I got a foot, but that was a crazy strorm.

Jan 96 is far and away no. 1 for me as well. 12/26-27 last year is up there if only for the insane blizzard conditions for a few hours, but pdII might top it simply because of the totals.

I dont remember what we finished with in 93, i just remember being pissed lol.

Jan 1996 is Number 1. Unfortunately, I was in Palm Springs for PD2. I have to put March 93 on there.. Yes, I know it wasn't a ton of snow in these parts. I think I got a foot, but that was a crazy strorm.

what are your thoughts on last years big ones?

two part storm too

And both were pretty much surprises. Total was supposed to be like 6 or 7 inches. I wound up with 18.5 inches total. It was simply incredible how fast the snow was falling. Imagine if it was a more powdery snow.

And both were pretty much surprises. Total was supposed to be like 6 or 7 inches. I wound up with 18.5 inches total. It was simply incredible how fast the snow was falling. Imagine if it was a more powdery snow.

so what are your five?

Dec 26 - Couldnt have been better between the model tracking and the actual blizzard. Over 2 feet

jan 26 - Classic.

Blizz 96' - i was 5. I just remember mountains of snow and getting stuck in it.

2006 Blizz - Woke up early and attempted to walk in the epic rates and failed.

Feb 25-26 2010 - Cool Storm.

Jan 7-8th, 96

Jan 25-26th, 11

Dec 26th, 10

PDII

Feb 25-26th, 10

Living in the same general area, this would pretty much be my list as well. Feb. 25-26, 2010, was a great and very long event for Queens and NYC. I began and stayed all snow where areas just a few miles east were raining for hours.

Living in the same general area, this would pretty much be my list as well. Feb. 25-26, 2010, was a great and very long event for Queens and NYC. I began and stayed all snow where areas just a few miles east were raining for hours.

amazing to think just across the sound and even over to white plains it was raining while you were snowing.

At least last year all of our storms stuck.

Dec 26 - Couldnt have been better between the model tracking and the actual blizzard. Over 2 feet

jan 26 - Classic.

Blizz 96' - i was 5. I just remember mountains of snow and getting stuck in it.

2006 Blizz - Woke up early and attempted to walk in the epic rates and failed.

Feb 25-26 2010 - Cool Storm.

I think if you were older, you would rank Blizz 96 higher

the buzz around 83 is how it started to rip pretty much right when it started and didn't let up till it ended and it had prolific thunder snow. Did you see any of that?

where I lived in Brooklyn in 83 we were getting very light snow for a few hours before the heavy stuff started...The February 61 storm also was getting very light snow for a few hours before the heavy stuff started...

Archived